Re: [jacksongenealogy] Old Wills

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2011
      I have read many old wills and settlements of estates and this was not just the control of the plows but the control of the sons. Contrary to poplar opinion the parents back then were not eager to have their children marry off as they were a source of free labor. While many did marry the girls off at 18 they usually didn't want the males to marry until 21. The laws allowed the parents to control their children until the age of 21. While the husband was alive the wife and children were essentially chattel.

      Most old wills only allowed the widow to control the estate as long as she did not re-marry.  When she re-married the will would state that the property went to the children or the the control of the estate went to the children's guardian (under supervision of the court) if they were under age. The widow was still entitled to her dower. This was to prevent the deceased husband's property going to the new husband as the old laws said anything belonging to the women was the property of the husband and would thus dis-inherit the children.

      Clay