Re: [jacksongenealogy] BOOKS: Heritage of Jackson County AL

  • cagle8185@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
      I ordered the the $50 book this morning just to see what they have about Valentine Cagle III. A lot of info on line is incorrect and assumed but not backed up with records. We will see if this book is correct of assumed.

      Bill Cagle

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
        The Hill and Fanning Family land borders each other in Larkin Fork around the old Harmony area.

        Bill Cagle

        Billy-There are two Hill articles. One on a Henry Luttrell Hill and the other on Hill-Fanning Family.

        If you would like a copy of these pages, please let me know and I'll email directly.

        Cindy

        is there any way to find out which families are mentioned in the heritagge of jackson county book? id like to know if my hill and sanders are mentioned before i spend 50 dollars on it. thanks billy hill

        I am familiar with the book since there are several of my family members in
        it but that is the case with all bios and all family tales. They are
        fraught full of mistakes, family lore, etc. I think it makes for
        interesting genealogy but not necessarily correct genealogy. I even found a
        huge mistake on a death certificate where a relative put the last name
        wrong for the mother of the deceased.
        Larry

        On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Doug
        >
        > This may be what is called a vanity bio book where they sell subscriptions
        > to have your ancestors bio listed in it.
        >
        > I know there is one for all of Alabama, Richard Matthews has posted
        > excerpts to the group from the Alabama one. I have also seen the listing
        > for the Gullett family of south Alabama that is in it and it is full of
        > errors. Didn't have their ancestry or where they were born right.
        >
        > I would check out all the info in it to see that it is correct. Find
        > sources if possible.
        >
        > Clay
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 15, 2011
          For Billy Hill:
          The book is not $50 but is $60 at Scottsboro Public Library and the only
          other source is a chiropractor in Scottsboro.
          There are* 28 pages with the Hill Name and 41 pages with the Sanders name
          referenced*.
          I purchased the book yesterday and my 93 year old mother sat and looked at
          the book for over 2 hours. Yes, there might be errors but if you are buying
          the book for a correct genealogy book then I suggest no one buy it but if
          you want to see Jackson County from the eyes of those who lived and settled
          there then it is well worth the money. I think we are trying to make this
          book into something it is not intended to do and that is find correct proof
          on family history. These are family stories, stories of towns,
          organizations, etc. about Jackson County. It is VERY interesting and I am
          enjoying every page even about families I am not familiar with. But then
          again I have deep roots in Jackson County.
          Larry Williams
          Researching in Jackson County: Williams, Rice, Combs, Michaels and related
          families.

          Larry G. Williams
          Co-Director, Agrimissions
          43 Crisp Lane
          Trenton, GA 30752
          (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
          lgwilliams1947@...
          http://agrimissions.com

        • cagle8185@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 15, 2011
            The book can be purchased for $50 and free shipping on line. It is a xmas special.

            Bill Cagle

            The book is not $50 but is $60 at Scottsboro Public Library and the only
            other source is a chiropractor in Scottsboro.
            There are* 28 pages with the Hill Name and 41 pages with the Sanders name
            referenced*.
            I purchased the book yesterday and my 93 year old mother sat and looked at
            the book for over 2 hours. Yes, there might be errors but if you are buying
            the book for a correct genealogy book then I suggest no one buy it but if
            you want to see Jackson County from the eyes of those who lived and settled
            there then it is well worth the money. I think we are trying to make this
            book into something it is not intended to do and that is find correct proof
            on family history. These are family stories, stories of towns,
            organizations, etc. about Jackson County. It is VERY interesting and I am
            enjoying every page even about families I am not familiar with. But then
            again I have deep roots in Jackson County.
            Larry Williams
            Researching in Jackson County: Williams, Rice, Combs, Michaels and related
            families.

            On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM, <cagle8185@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I ordered the the $50 book this morning just to see what they have about
            > Valentine Cagle III. A lot of info on line is incorrect and assumed but not
            > backed up with records. We will see if this book is correct of assumed.
            >
            > Bill Cagle

            Larry G. Williams
            Co-Director, Agrimissions
            43 Crisp Lane
            Trenton, GA 30752
            (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
            lgwilliams1947@...
            http://agrimissions.com

          • Larry Williams
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 15, 2011
              Bill- They charged me $60 at the library.
              Larry

              Larry G. Williams
              Co-Director, Agrimissions
              43 Crisp Lane
              Trenton, GA 30752
              (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
              lgwilliams1947@...
              http://agrimissions.com

            • billy hill
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 16, 2011
                thank you so much for that report larry. the book sounds great to me. all the people in the group have been very helpful and kind to me since ive been researching my family and i thank them all and appreciate their time and effort. billy hill

                The book is not $50 but is $60 at Scottsboro Public Library and the only
                other source is a chiropractor in Scottsboro.
                There are* 28 pages with the Hill Name and 41 pages with the Sanders name
                referenced*.
                I purchased the book yesterday and my 93 year old mother sat and looked at
                the book for over 2 hours. Yes, there might be errors but if you are buying
                the book for a correct genealogy book then I suggest no one buy it but if
                you want to see Jackson County from the eyes of those who lived and settled
                there then it is well worth the money. I think we are trying to make this
                book into something it is not intended to do and that is find correct proof
                on family history. These are family stories, stories of towns,
                organizations, etc. about Jackson County. It is VERY interesting and I am
                enjoying every page even about families I am not familiar with. But then
                again I have deep roots in Jackson County.
                Larry Williams
                Researching in Jackson County: Williams, Rice, Combs, Michaels and related
                families.

                On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM, <cagle8185@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I ordered the the $50 book this morning just to see what they have about
                > Valentine Cagle III. A lot of info on line is incorrect and assumed but not
                > backed up with records. We will see if this book is correct of assumed.
                >
                > Bill Cagle

                Larry G. Williams
                Co-Director, Agrimissions
                43 Crisp Lane
                Trenton, GA 30752
                (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                lgwilliams1947@...
                http://agrimissions.com

              • cagle8185@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 16, 2011
                  Larrry,

                  Book price is $60 but publisher has Xmas special going on until the 20th for $50 and free shipping.

                  Bill

                  Bill- They charged me $60 at the library.
                  Larry

                  On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM, <cagle8185@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > The book can be purchased for $50 and free shipping on line. It is a xmas
                  > special.
                  >
                  > Bill Cagle

                  Larry G. Williams
                  Co-Director, Agrimissions
                  43 Crisp Lane
                  Trenton, GA 30752
                  (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                  lgwilliams1947@...
                  http://agrimissions.com

                • T'Lene
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 16, 2011
                    I just ordered my Christmas special ($50 until Dec 20) copy from publisher. FYI their phone number is 800-568-1611. For GA residents, there is no tax.
                    This price included shipping.

                    Thanks for letting us know about the Christmas savings.

                    T'Lene

                  • Larry Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 16, 2011
                      You will enjoy it.
                      Larry

                      On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM, T'Lene <lemonade4t@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I just ordered my Christmas special ($50 until Dec 20) copy from
                      > publisher. FYI their phone number is 800-568-1611. For GA residents,
                      > there is no tax.
                      > This price included shipping.
                      >
                      > Thanks for letting us know about the Christmas savings.
                      >
                      > T'Lene
                      >
                      > On Dec 15, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Larry Williams <lgwilliams1947@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > Bill- They charged me $60 at the library.
                      > > Larry
                      > >
                      > > On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM, <cagle8185@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > The book can be purchased for $50 and free shipping on line. It is a
                      > xmas
                      > > > special.
                      > > >
                      > > > Bill Cagle

                      Larry G. Williams