Kennamer's "History of Jackson County" and "Heritage of Jackson Co AL" a Vanity Bio

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 13 2:17 PM
      Kennamer's "History of Jackson County" is available from the Jackson County Historical Association  who have the copyrights to it. Send a check for $14.00 made out to
      JCHA Book to: JCHA, PO Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35769.

      The JCHA does not take credit card so you must mail order.

      As Ann Chambless indicates this is a bargin rate ten dollars for the hard copy book and four dollars postage.
      Heritage of Jackson County

      This is a completely different book from the above it is a vanity bio book "Heritage of Jackson County AL" a $50.00 post paid (special Christmas price).  there are some members of the group who have this one and can tell you if your ancestors are in it before you splurge.. If you want to check put Heritage of Jackson County Name Check as the Subject, then your ancestors names in the body of the message. Please don't tag on to some one else's message as it will soon get to be a very looooong message.

      Table  of Contents (from Cindy Swagler)
      Town and Communities
      Sights, Scenes and Memories
      Spiritual Heritage
      Schools
      Families
      Tributes, Meniruaks abd Business Histories

      She says it is a wonderful book and worth the price. .

    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 13 4:51 PM
        Looking for the Hills or Gormleys of Paint Rock.

      • clswagler@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 13 6:18 PM
          No Gormleys listed, but there is an article on the family of "Henry Luttrell Hill" (bn Franklin Cty., TN) and an article on "The Hill-Fanning Family".

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 13 7:36 PM
            > No Gormleys listed, but there is an article on the family of "Henry Luttrell Hill" (bn Franklin Cty., TN) and an article on "The Hill-Fanning Family".

            The Hills I am seeking were William and Lizzie. Doesn't sound like either of the above.

          • Pat Foster
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 13 8:17 PM
              I’m looking for Lewis GREEN & relatives, maybe brothers?

              He married Nancy HAWKINS in Tn in 1815 and about 1835 received a grant of land in Jackson County. Several other Greens received grants from about that time onward.

              Also, RUSSELL family involved with Russell Cave area.

              Thanks,

              Pat (Green) Foster

              In OK

              No Gormleys listed, but there is an article on the family of "Henry Luttrell Hill" (bn Franklin Cty., TN) and an article on "The Hill-Fanning Family".

              Looking for the Hills or Gormleys of Paint Rock.

            • billy hill
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 13 8:26 PM
                my hills claimed paint rock as home. my gf john f. hill, ggf thomas hill, gggfholden hill are we kin?

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 14 7:46 AM
                  Billy, Thomas Hill Spring is located about 200 yards from my property line in sec 17, T1-S, R 4-E. Also the SE of SE corner of this sec 17 was patent to Holden Hill in 1834.

                  There is also a Absalom Hill with a lot of land, 200 ac., to the south (2 miles) in sec 29 T1-S, R 4-E. This was patent by Absalom in 1859/1860. This may have been Thomas brother and Holden son

                  my hills claimed paint rock as home. my gf john f. hill, ggf thomas hill, gggfholden hill are we kin?

                  Looking for the Hills or Gormleys of Paint Rock.

                • T'Lene
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 14 7:49 AM
                    Do you mind checking for Bryants or Warrens?
                    Thanks
                    T'Lene Bryant Tillotson

                    On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:36 PM, "Karl Plenge" <kmplenge@...> wrote:

                    > > No Gormleys listed, but there is an article on the family of "Henry Luttrell Hill" (bn Franklin Cty., TN) and an article on "The Hill-Fanning Family".
                    >
                    > The Hills I am seeking were William and Lizzie. Doesn't sound like either of the above.

                  • Jerry Triplett
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 14 8:03 AM
                      Pat:

                      You indicated an interest in the Russell family of Doran's Cove, AL/TN. James Russell is fairly well documented on the Internet sites. If you have access to Ancestry (at home ot through a library), look for James Russell, b 1798, Pendleton Dist, SC, d 1887, Doran's Cove, AL/TN. He married Paulina Gaines. I think he is buried in the Doran's Cove Cem but I did not look it up to be sure.

                      I have a passing interest (low priority) in the Hawkins that were coal miners in TN/AL in the 1800's. Do you have a father or mother or county for Nancy Hawkins?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 14 8:08 AM
                        Cindy
                        Is Robert Boyd or Tomas Boyd listed in the Book about Jackson County
                        Alabama. I am still looking for my GGgrandparents John Boyd and Elizabeth.
                        I have talked with you before.
                        Happy Holidays
                        Chuck Boyd

                      • cagle8185@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 14 8:43 AM
                          There was a Hawkins family living in Orme Tn. (at the head of Dorans Cove) in the early 50's. I went to school with a Jacky Hawkins who lived in Orme and remember he had a sister. They went to the old Bridgeport High School. Jacky played football there in the mid 50's.

                          Bill Cagle

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 14 2:50 PM
                            > my hills claimed paint rock as home. my gf john f. hill, ggf thomas hill, gggfholden hill are we kin?

                            I don't think so. The Hills that are most often mentioned here were in the area in the early 1800's. The Hill family I am interested in came from Huntsville around the end of the Civil War. As far as I can tell, the descendants have been out of the area for many decades. I tracked some of them to TX and some to Memphis, but as far as I know, none are in Jackson Co, nor have been any time recently.

                          • billy hill
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 14 6:16 PM
                              i do not know anything about absolom. i never heard his name mentioned by the family but i wouldnt be surprised to find out hes my great uncle. ive never even talked to anyone from alabama who knew my family. i wish i could get in touch with someone . thanks for trying anyway. billy hill

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 14 9:58 PM
                                Hi Jerry,

                                Well, I did it—her name is Nancy Morgan and they were married in Hawkins COUNTY, TN!! I hadn’t looked at those files in a while and did a senior thing!!

                                I only found her name as my gg grandmother in October this year.

                                I got to go to the National Archives in DC and found her name in Lewis’s military records. I did quite a bit of reading about Hawkins County, TN, after that and came to the conclusion that maybe her Morgan family were sort of temporary in that area at that time. It is very difficult with those old censuses showing only HH names! And, no one else seems to be working on that Morgan line—may not have even known much about her since she was so young and possibly the rest of the family moved on out of state??? For now, we think she gave birth to all of Lewis’s kids, was with him in Alabama, moved to Missouri and died there about 1847-48—after last child born in 1847. She is not in the 1850 census and he is there thru 1870 with no wife.

                                And, of course, I will continue to search for her family.

                                It appears there are no Greens in the historical books of Jackson County?

                                Thanks for the info on James Russell. He is a brother to my ggg grandfather, Matthew Russell, Jr.

                                Pat

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 15 6:01 AM
                                  Absalom Hill was my great, great grandfather. Most likely his father was Benjamin Jefferson Hill of Warren County, Tennessee. Why do I say “most likely”? These reasons:

                                  1) I’ve had my dad’s DNA tested; he is a known link to Absalom. It is a DNA match with known descendants of Isaac Hill, father of Benjamin Jefferson Hill.

                                  2) Benjamin Jefferson Hill’s will states that he had a son, “A. Hill”, who had moved to the Paint Rock Valley in Alabama.

                                  3) Absalom Hill named a son Wallace Hill. Benjamin Jefferson Hill’s wife was Rebecca Wallace.

                                  4) Absalom Hill’s first three known children were born in Tennessee, as was he.

                                  Vicki Hill

                                  Texas

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 15 9:53 AM
                                    Vicki, My folks also moved to the valley from Warren County. Any Cagle in your line?

                                    Bill Cagle

                                    i do not know anything about absolom. i never heard his name mentioned by the family but i wouldnt be surprised to find out hes my great uncle. ive never even talked to anyone from alabama who knew my family. i wish i could get in touch with someone . thanks for trying anyway. billy hill

                                    Billy, Thomas Hill Spring is located about 200 yards from my property line in sec 17, T1-S, R 4-E. Also the SE of SE corner of this sec 17 was patent to Holden Hill in 1834.

                                    There is also a Absalom Hill with a lot of land, 200 ac., to the south (2 miles) in sec 29 T1-S, R 4-E. This was patent by Absalom in 1859/1860. This may have been Thomas brother and Holden son

                                  • John Green
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 16 10:06 AM
                                      Pat,

                                      I'm from a line of GREENs who came to Lincoln County TN prior to 1820. Moved to Francisco in NW Jackson County around 1840. Some of my cousins still live there or nearby. There is at least one additional GREEN family in the area that have no known connection to mine. I don't show any Lewis's anywhere in my family tree.

                                      John M. Green

                                    • cagle8185@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 16 10:50 AM
                                        John/Pat

                                        I do not think the Green Family at Francisco has any relation to folks in Doran Cove. The land patents for Green, at he time, were around Francisco and none around Doran Cove. Just a opinion.

                                        Bill Cagle

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 16 1:53 PM
                                          Bill,

                                          I agree.

                                          John
                                          On Dec 16, 2011, at 12:50 PM, cagle8185@... wrote:

                                          > John/Pat
                                          >
                                          > I do not think the Green Family at Francisco has any relation to folks in Doran Cove. The land patents for Green, at he time, were around Francisco and none around Doran Cove. Just a opinion.
                                          >
                                          > Bill Cagle

                                        • Waynette Davis
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 16 2:09 PM
                                            William King

                                            Sarah King

                                            Meredith King

                                            Wiley King

                                            Any of these in the $14 booklet?

                                            Waynette Davis

                                          • Roger Burbank
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 16 3:49 PM
                                              Hi, can you tell me if Mccutchen, Williams and Vann are in 14.00 book?  Thanks Roger ps ordered my Heritage book today from publisher.

                                              ________________________________
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 16 5:44 PM
                                                Are you related to the Kings from Calhoun County, AL that moved to Jackson
                                                County?
                                                Larry Williams

                                                On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Waynette Davis <wmddavis@...>wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > William King
                                                >
                                                > Sarah King
                                                >
                                                > Meredith King
                                                >
                                                > Wiley King
                                                >
                                                > Any of these in the $14 booklet?
                                                >
                                                > Waynette Davis

                                                Larry G. Williams
                                                Co-Director, Agrimissions
                                                43 Crisp Lane
                                                Trenton, GA 30752
                                                (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                                                lgwilliams1947@...
                                                http://agrimissions.com

                                              • Pat Foster
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 16 7:00 PM
                                                  At the time of Lewis Green’s land grant, as far as I know, the Greens and Russells were NOT related in Jackson County.

                                                  However, the James Russell in Doran’s Cove is a great uncle to my great grandfather, John M Russell, whose father was also a James, but he descended from Matthew Russell, Jr.

                                                  And James of Doran’s Cove descended from Matthew Sr, I understand.

                                                  My grandmother, Sallie Donna Russell, and a grandson of the Lewis Green from Jackson County, also named Lewis Green, married in Arkansas.

                                                  James Russell, the grandfather of my great grandfather John M Russell, lived and is buried in North Carolina. (Matthew Jr, James, John, Sallie Donna—Russell line)

                                                  So, you see, it appears to me the Russells and Greens weren’t related in my tree(?) at the time they settled in Alabama.

                                                  Someone on the list, I’m sorry I can’t recall but still have that email, told me Lewis Green’s land was in the ‘Rash” area, I believe.

                                                  I googled mapped Doran’s Cove to Rash and that’s about 15 miles.

                                                  So, the Russells and Greens might have known each other there as that James Russell appears to have had a child born there in 1838.

                                                  HERE IS A LIST OF LAND GRANTS FOR THE AREA.

                                                  I don’t promise that this is all of the Greens………but Lewis is listed.

                                                  I feel other family members of his are probably in this group.

                                                  Surely some remained in Alabama while Lewis went on to MO?????

                                                  I appreciate you all trying to assist me in my search for more info.

                                                  Pat (Green) Foster

                                                  In Oklahoma

                                                  Several of these Greens are in Section 8.

                                                  Section 5 adjoins 8, right?

                                                  Then Section 17 adjoins 8, I believe.

                                                  So, it appears many of the Greens were allotted land in close proximity even though it was granted years apart!

                                                  This leads me to believe, some of them HAD to be related????

                                                  Notice: Lewis and Samuel got land in 1831--the earliest of anyone!!

                                                  William (he must have gotten 2 pieces or almost 80 acres) in 1834.

                                                  http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/land/blm/jackson-d-g.txt

                                                  Alabama Land Patents Database: Jackson County - Surnames Beginning D-G

                                                  GREEN ASA R 8 5S 6E HUNTSVILLE 80.17 1854/06/15

                                                  GREEN JAMES 17 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 39.96 1854/06/15

                                                  GREEN GEORGE W 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 0 1891/01/30

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 80.09 1860/12/01

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 0 1860/12/01

                                                  GREEN WILFREY 5 5S 7E HUNTSVILLE 0 1890/05/21

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 40.04 1860/09/01

                                                  GREEN ISAAC N 21 1S 3E HUNTSVILLE 79.86 1889/05/23

                                                  GREEN JOHN A 1 1S 3E HUNTSVILLE 80.2 1904/07/02

                                                  GREEN ISAAC 6 1S 4E HUNTSVILLE 0 1860/09/01

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 0 1858/03/01

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 40.04 1859/12/01

                                                  GREEN FERNEY F 36 1S 4E HUNTSVILLE 39.96 1837/08/05

                                                  GREEN WILLIAM G 8 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 80.09 1858/03/01

                                                  GREEN ASA R 31 4S 6E HUNTSVILLE 79 1839/08/01

                                                  GREEN SAMUEL 18 4S 3E HUNTSVILLE 94.68 1831/06/15

                                                  GREEN WILFREY 6 5S 7E HUNTSVILLE 159.9 1890/05/21

                                                  GREEN BENJAMIN D 6 6S 5E HUNTSVILLE 40 1849/08/01

                                                  GREEN ASA R 29 5S 7E HUNTSVILLE 40.22 1859/01/01

                                                  GREEN ISAAC 7 1S 4E HUNTSVILLE 0 1860/09/01

                                                  GREEN LEWIS 8 2S 7E HUNTSVILLE 159.62 1831/06/01----------------------

                                                  GREEN GEORGE W 17 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 80 1891/01/30

                                                  GREEN ISAAC 7 1S 4E HUNTSVILLE 200.79 1860/09/01

                                                  GREEN FERNEY F 1 2S 4E HUNTSVILLE 40.15 1837/08/05

                                                  GREEN WILFREY 5 5S 7E HUNTSVILLE 0 1890/05/21

                                                  GREEN JOSEPH G 15 1S 5E HUNTSVILLE 79.79 1904/07/02

                                                  GREEN SAMUEL 22 1S 9E HUNTSVILLE 80.05 1840/11/10

                                                  GREEN ASA R 5 5S 6E HUNTSVILLE 39.95 1835/09/04

                                                  GREEN THOMAS 3 2S 7E HUNTSVILLE 40.01 1859/12/01

                                                  GREEN CHRISTOPHER C 6 5S 5E HUNTSVILLE 40.12 1838/09/10

                                                  GREENE WILLIAM B 6 5S 5E HUNTSVILLE 40.12 1835/10/16

                                                  GREENE WILLIAM B 1 5S 4E HUNTSVILLE 39.99 1835/10/16

                                                  I do not think the Green Family at Francisco has any relation to folks in Doran Cove. The land patents for Green, at he time, were around Francisco and none around Doran Cove. Just a opinion.

                                                  Bill Cagle

                                                  I'm from a line of GREENs who came to Lincoln County TN prior to 1820. Moved to
                                                  rancisco in NW Jackson County around 1840. Some of my cousins still live there
                                                  r nearby. There is at least one additional GREEN family in the area that have
                                                  o known connection to mine. I don't show any Lewis's anywhere in my family
                                                  ree.
                                                  John M. Green
                                                  On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:17 PM, Pat Foster wrote:
                                                  > I�m looking for Lewis GREEN & relatives, maybe brothers?

                                                  He married Nancy HAWKINS in Tn in 1815 and about 1835 received a grant of land –I MADE AN MISTAKE HERE—HE MARRIED NANCY MORGAN in HAWKINS COUNTY, TN.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 22 4:13 PM
                                                    Sorry if I did not insert the Word copy of what I know about my Kings. You
                                                    should receive it now in a reply to that email. Waynette KING Davis