Re: [jacksongenealogy] BOOKS: History or Heritage

  • Roger Burbank
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
      OK, so all these emails are on two different books? one for 14.00 and one for 50.00  Rog

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2011
        I'm wondering the same thing.
        T'Lene

        On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Roger Burbank <burby9@...> wrote:

        > OK, so all these emails are on two different books? one for 14.00 and one for 50.00 Rog
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2011
          I have observed a lot od discussion about the nature, content and
          correctness of the book. I do NOT have a copy yet but intend to buy one-NOT
          for the correctness nor for the genealogy correctness but for the character
          of those who wrote the stories, what they had to say and how they said it.
          For me genealogy is about more than how correct everything is but about how
          the people lived, where they lived, how they got there, their stories (and
          believe me I know from experience how tall family tales goes because I have
          proven some wrong in my own searches) and their lives. Genealogy is sort of
          a history of our ancestors and their struggles, their successes, their
          sacrifices, their contribution to society, their pattern of settling this
          great country, and finding cousins still living and making connections with
          them. I have been doing this a long time and I know for a fact I have some
          incorrect information in my own files but until I find the correct
          information I still place what I think it is to give me hints for future
          searches.
          Vanity books were never intended to be genealogy books or to be used to
          prove genealogy facts but to give us an insight into the actual relatives
          we have and how they saw things. I have even discovered mistakes in death
          certificates so nothing is ever written in stone.
          Hope this helps.
          Larry

          On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM, T'Lene <lemonade4t@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm wondering the same thing.
          > T'Lene
          >

          > On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Roger Burbank <burby9@...> wrote:
          >
          > > OK, so all these emails are on two different books? one for 14.00 and
          > one for 50.00 Rog
          > >
          > > ________________________________

          Larry G. Williams
          Co-Director, Agrimissions
          43 Crisp Lane
          Trenton, GA 30752
          (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
          lgwilliams1947@...
          http://agrimissions.com

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2011
            Amen to you Larry! My husband Joe and I was on the Moore County, TN Heritage book committee and found it to be a very enjoyable but hard task to endure. We all laughed and we cried while we worked very hard to get the facts we were furnished as correct as possible. The people who turned their stories in were amazing and yes some stories seem impossible but if you go back in history you'll find it wasn't so impossible after all. We have been doing genealogy since 1970 and still enjoying doing it. We talk to people all over the USA and meet cousins we never dreamed of meeting. It's so wonderful to pick up the phone and someone says "Hello, I'm so and so and I live in California, I'm your 4th cousin. I was born in Jackson County, AL." Buy the book, you'll never regret it.
            Jewel D. (Hambrick) Graham Casey

            I have observed a lot od discussion about the nature, content and
            correctness of the book. I do NOT have a copy yet but intend to buy one-NOT
            for the correctness nor for the genealogy correctness but for the character
            of those who wrote the stories, what they had to say and how they said it.
            For me genealogy is about more than how correct everything is but about how
            the people lived, where they lived, how they got there, their stories (and
            believe me I know from experience how tall family tales goes because I have
            proven some wrong in my own searches) and their lives. Genealogy is sort of
            a history of our ancestors and their struggles, their successes, their
            sacrifices, their contribution to society, their pattern of settling this
            great country, and finding cousins still living and making connections with
            them. I have been doing this a long time and I know for a fact I have some
            incorrect information in my own files but until I find the correct
            information I still place what I think it is to give me hints for future
            searches.
            Vanity books were never intended to be genealogy books or to be used to
            prove genealogy facts but to give us an insight into the actual relatives
            we have and how they saw things. I have even discovered mistakes in death
            certificates so nothing is ever written in stone.
            Hope this helps.
            Larry

            On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM, T'Lene <lemonade4t@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'm wondering the same thing.
            > T'Lene
            >

            > On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Roger Burbank <burby9@...> wrote:
            >
            > > OK, so all these emails are on two different books? one for 14.00 and
            > one for 50.00 Rog
            > >
            > > ________________________________

          • Barbara Raines
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
              Does the book on Jackson County families have any MASHBURNS? Some of our Mashburns lived in the Big Coon area in the 1800s

              Heritage of Jackson County - 1998 Vol. 36 by Heritage Consultants Inc.
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                Sorry, Mashburn does not have a write-up.

                Cindy

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2011
                  There are 2 pages referencing the Mashburn family.
                  Larry Williams