Re: [jacksongenealogy] Alabama Nitre and Mining Corps.

  • Roger Burbank
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hi Doug, my 3rd great grandfather was a guard under Capt. Young. Calvin Walker Mccutchen he was killed at Coffee Town in 1863, just a few miles from home.  Would love to share. I could not get your email to work. Feel free to call me at 503-639-4381.  Roger

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
        There is a famous story about a visit from Jefferson Davis to Mr. William Bennett in 1867. Davis, on his way home from prison at Fortress Monroe, stopped in Gurley to visit Mrs. Virginia Clay. He came first to Bennett's house asking directions to the Clay home. (This home is still standing on the left side of the highway going West from Scottsboro, right at the Jackson/Madison County line.) You can read about it in a book by Charles Rice titled Hard Times--The Civil War in Huntsville and North Alabama. I got this book several years ago at Shaver's Book Store which no longer exists. It is a paperback and I do not know if it is still available. Rice used to live in Huntsville..
        (Caveat: I wrote all this off the top of my head---There might be mistakes and inaccuracies in it.)

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
          By the way, TWO of my great grandfathers served in Capt. Young's nitre company. They were James Alexander Gayle and Nicholas B. Broadway.

          Clyde Broadway

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
            Hi Clyde, what info do you have on the guard? you can contact me at  burby9@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
              I am sure I don't have any more than you have. I do have here somewhere a tract written by a man at the U. of Tennessee in Knoxville about Sauta Cave in which he says it was possibly THE largest of the salt petre cave operations in the Confederacy....can't think of his name....Ann Chambless knows him or knows who he is....also John Woodall gave a report to the Jackson County Historical Association on Sauta Cave last year at the Scottsboro Public Library. It was from him that I learned my great grandfathewr Broadway had been at the cave. I knew James Gayle was there, and that he was captured hauling a wagon load of potassium nitrate across Sand Mountain. He spent  maybe a couple of years as a P.O.W
              Nicholas Broadway, along with his brother, James D. Broadway later joined the 55th Ala. Infantry in late 1862. James was captured at the Battle of Champion Hill in Mississippi in May, 1863, sent to Ft. Deleware, exchanged at City Point, Va., and died abpout 10 days later in a Virginia hospital at Petersburg Virginia. He is buried in the Blandford Church Cemetery. Nicholas fought all the way through the Nashville campaign, where he was captured when the Confederate Army was routed in December 1864.

              Another person associated with the operations at the cave was Dr. James Buchannan of Larkinsville, later of Scottsboro---formerly from Tennessee. I gave a presentation about him to the Historical Association back in 1997 after researching him in an attempt to interest people in the preservation of his home in Scottsboro---the last clapboard Gothic Revival home in North Alabama, according to Robert Gamble, Ala. State Architectura Historian, Montgomery.

              My efforts were to no avail; the house still sits in decline and ruin beside the railroad track on Mary Hunter Avenue. Its windows were cannibalized by a former Scottsboro school principal to put into his retirement home in another county. I know a lot of interesting facts about Dr. Buchannan. He and his wife are buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Scottsboro.