Re: WILLIAMS Family

  • David Malbuff
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
      Martha, are you sure about those dates? I know people did and do marry at 13, but it makes me wonder.

      Yes, our line descends from Josiah Stephens and Nancy Vann through their son John B Stephens, who married Margaret Snodgrass (of the Bellefonte Snodgrasses), and their son Absolom Stephens, who married Priscilla Larkin (of the Larkinsville Larkins), and their son William Larkin Stephens, who married Mary Louise McClung Robinson (of the Knoxville, Tenn., and Huntsville, Ala., McClungs) and their daughter, my grandmother Margaret Elizabeth Stephens.

      I'll recall my database from archive and see if I have anything else on this Margaret Stephens and if so, I'll post it. Thank you.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      2a. Re: WILLIAMs Family
          Posted by: "Martha Wallace" Marthawsv@... rosetudor1
          Date: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am ((PDT))

      Hi David,

      We have corresponded before and I see that your grandmother, also Margaret Elizabeth Stevens, descends from the uncle of my Margaret Elizabeth Stevens. Our common ancestors would be Josiah S. Stevens and Nancy Vann. Does that seem right to you?

      Here's what I have about the marriage of William Guinn Williams and Margaret Elizabeth Stevens, based on a genealogy chart that my brother made when he was in high school. He got the information from a cousin of my mother's who was working to prove a Williams link for DAR membership. She had visited courthouses all around Alabama and Mississippi researching this line and others. This was way before the internet or even computers, so I am in awe of all the ground work that she did. However, I don't have a source that is more specific.

      William Guinn WILLIAMS
      b. 1 Apr 1811, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      d. 4 Feb 1863, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama
      m. 13 May 1838, Jackson County, Alabama
      Margaret Elizabeth* STEVENS
      b. 30 May 1825, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      d. 26 Nov 1856, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama

      Martha
      Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

      On Oct 22, 2011, at 9:05 AM, David Malbuff wrote:

      Martha Wallace wrote:

      "My Williams family lived over the hills from Paint Rock near Lim Rock. Although I've explored the guys over in Paint Rock, I haven't found a connection. Let me know if you find one.

      "Samuel WILLIAMS Jr.
        b. 19 Jul 1788, Greene County, Tennessee
        d. 7 Feb 1859, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      & Margaret GUINN
        b. May 1792, Greene County, Tennessee
        d. 3 Jul 1849, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      |            William Guinn WILLIAMS*
      |              b. 1 Apr 1811, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      |              d. 4 Feb 1863, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama
      |            & Margaret Elizabeth* STEVENS
      |              b. 30 May 1825, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
      |              d. 26 Nov 1856, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama "

      Martha, aside from noting the wonderful fact that you actually have an ancestoir named "Minnie Pearl,"  I'd like to ask if you have any marriage information for "Margaret Elizabeth Stevens" listed above.  My Stephens (Stevens) ancestors settled in Lim Rock and I am wondering which one married into your Williams line.Please post if you have this info. Thank you.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      Messages in this topic (2)

      Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

    • Roger Burbank
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hello, can you tell me who this Nancy Vann belongs too? does she connect to Nancy Vann daughter of Thomas Vann, who married George W. Williams.  Thanks Roger

            Date: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am ((PDT))

        Hi David,

        Martha Wallace wrote:

        "My Williams family lived over the hills from Paint Rock near Lim Rock. Although I've explored the guys over in Paint Rock, I haven't found a connection. Let me know if you find one.

        "Samuel WILLIAMS Jr.
          b. 19 Jul 1788, Greene County, Tennessee
          d. 7 Feb 1859, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
        & Margaret GUINN
          b. May 1792, Greene County, Tennessee
          d. 3 Jul 1849, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
        |            William Guinn WILLIAMS*
        |              b. 1 Apr 1811, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
        |              d. 4 Feb 1863, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama
        |            & Margaret Elizabeth* STEVENS
        |              b. 30 May 1825, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
        |              d. 26 Nov 1856, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama "

        Martha, aside from noting the wonderful fact that you actually have an ancestoir named "Minnie Pearl,"  I'd like to ask if you have any marriage information for "Margaret Elizabeth Stevens" listed above.  My Stephens (Stevens) ancestors settled in Lim Rock and I am wondering which one married into your Williams line.Please post if you have this info. Thank you.

        Glory to God,

        David Malbuff
        Strasburg, Virginia

        Messages in this topic (2)

        Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

      • TOM F DUNKLIN
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
          David,
          No relation to the Williams surname but just wanted to mention that my g-gmother married at 13 to get away from a new (and apparently mean) step-mother. Back then I guess there could have been many reasons to marry so young..... from needing someone to help take care of you and maybe your younger orphaned siblings, to not being able to stand the conditions in the family situation.

          Just a thought.

          ________________________________

              Date: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am ((PDT))

          Hi David,

          Martha Wallace wrote:

          "My Williams family lived over the hills from Paint Rock near Lim Rock. Although I've explored the guys over in Paint Rock, I haven't found a connection. Let me know if you find one.

          "Samuel WILLIAMS Jr.
            b. 19 Jul 1788, Greene County, Tennessee
            d. 7 Feb 1859, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
          & Margaret GUINN
            b. May 1792, Greene County, Tennessee
            d. 3 Jul 1849, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
          |            William Guinn WILLIAMS*
          |              b. 1 Apr 1811, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
          |              d. 4 Feb 1863, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama
          |            & Margaret Elizabeth* STEVENS
          |              b. 30 May 1825, Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama
          |              d. 26 Nov 1856, Luttrel, Dekalb County, Alabama "

          Martha, aside from noting the wonderful fact that you actually have an ancestoir named "Minnie Pearl,"  I'd like to ask if you have any marriage information for "Margaret Elizabeth Stevens" listed above.  My Stephens (Stevens) ancestors settled in Lim Rock and I am wondering which one married into your Williams line.Please post if you have this info. Thank you.

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia

          Messages in this topic (2)

          Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

        • Bbrock1945
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
            Hello,
            Do any of you know if any of the LARKINS went to Southeast Missouri? Probably around 1840-50????

            Brenda Vanderpool Brockman

            Date: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 am ((PDT))

            Hi David,