RE: [jacksongenealogy] Thomas H. Benge of Hamilton Co. TN

  • Vicki L Hill
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6 4:26 AM
      Yes, this is the family. Carrie and Alfred McCree were my
      great-grandparents. She died in childbirth in Texas. I haven't been able to
      find Thomas before that 1870 census.

      Records show that his Civil War Tennessee unit was at all the large battles
      in that part of the country - Shiloh, Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge, etc. An
      1885 veteran's survey lists him as an invalid. Given that he was born in
      Alabama but enlisted in Tennessee, it is logical to assume he may have been
      from the northern Alabama area. So finding a reference to an older Thomas
      Benge in Jackson County makes me wonder about the connection.

      The name is often misspelled in old records, so trying to find missing
      pieces of the Benge family is challenging.

      His wife is Amanda Louisa Baldwin. She is from an early Chattanooga family,
      so it makes sense that they settled there. Given that their oldest was born
      in 1869, it looks like they met and married after the war.

      Funny, of my 8 great-grandparents, 2 were born in Jackson Co, AL, 1 was from
      Chattanooga, 2 were from Forsyth Co., GA, and 1 was from Walker Co., GA.
      All concentrated in a very small area.yet their children and grandchildren
      met and married in north Texas.

      Vicki Hill