Thomas H. Benge of Hamilton Co. TN

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
      Thomas H. Benge is listed on the 1890 TN State Census living in Chattanooga, Hamilton Co. TN.

      Thomas H. Benge is listed as a Confederate Civil War Vet. he was b. 1835 and died 24 May 1895 and is buried in Chattanooga National Cem. His widow listed as Mandy L. (1880 Census lists her as Louisa Benge) Manda L. Benge died 20 Jul 1912 bur. Chattanooga National Cem.

      His widow listed as Amanda I Beng and two daus. are on the 1900 Hamilton Co. TN

      1900 Hamilton Co. TN
      Amanda I. Beng Head Apr 1846 44 Wd TN GA GA
      Cora A. Dau Jul 1877 23 Single TN TN TN Stocking Factory runs Knitting Machine
      Victoria Dau May 1879 21 Single TN TN TN Stocking Factory runs Knitting Machine

      1880 2nd Ward Chattanooga, Hamilton Co. TN
      Louisa Beng 32 Self Mar. Works Out (outside of Home) UNK UNK UNK
      Carrie 10 Dau UNK UNK UNK
      Cora 3 Dau UNK UNK UNK
      Victoria 2 Dau UNK UNK UNK

      Could not find Thomas Benge on the 1880. May have gone walkabout like many of the Civil War Vets.

      The below maybe them on the 1870.

      1870 Hamilton Co. TN
      Thomas Bang  25 AL Brick Molder
      Louisa 23 Keeps House AL
      Carthula 8months TN

      Thomas Benge m. Elizabeth A. Sorrells 13 July 1859 Hamilton CO. TN.

      Carrie Benge m. E. A. McCree 27 Apr 1886 Hamilton Co. TN

      This maybe a brother to Thomas.
      David Benge m. Nancy Abigal Cooper 07 Jan 1861 Hamilton Co. TN

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
        Jones Family Tree list Thomas H. Benge's wife as Amanda Louisa Baldwin and has a photo of her and Carrie. Looks Indian to me. Amanda Louisa died in Rossville, Walker Co. GA. just south of Chattanooga. That where I grew up.

        None of the family trees list parents of either Thomas or Louisa.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
          Yes, this is the family. Carrie and Alfred McCree were my
          great-grandparents. She died in childbirth in Texas. I haven't been able to
          find Thomas before that 1870 census.

          Records show that his Civil War Tennessee unit was at all the large battles
          in that part of the country - Shiloh, Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge, etc. An
          1885 veteran's survey lists him as an invalid. Given that he was born in
          Alabama but enlisted in Tennessee, it is logical to assume he may have been
          from the northern Alabama area. So finding a reference to an older Thomas
          Benge in Jackson County makes me wonder about the connection.

          The name is often misspelled in old records, so trying to find missing
          pieces of the Benge family is challenging.

          His wife is Amanda Louisa Baldwin. She is from an early Chattanooga family,
          so it makes sense that they settled there. Given that their oldest was born
          in 1869, it looks like they met and married after the war.

          Funny, of my 8 great-grandparents, 2 were born in Jackson Co, AL, 1 was from
          Chattanooga, 2 were from Forsyth Co., GA, and 1 was from Walker Co., GA.
          All concentrated in a very small area.yet their children and grandchildren
          met and married in north Texas.

          Vicki Hill