Thomas Benge

  • Jerry Triplett
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
      I ran across a SAR (Sons of American Revolution) Application that listed a Benge family from Paint Rock. Many people are familiar with John "Trader" Benge, Bob Benge (bloody Cherokee), and John "Wagonmaster" Benge (Trail of Tears). However, Thomas Benge, Sr. b. 1738 was a new person to me. Thomas had a dau Sarah Benge that married a Martin; the Martins had a dau maned Mary that married a Terrell Gray at Paint Rock in 1858. It seems that the family (or some of the family) left and went to Texas.

      Anyone familiar with Thomas Benge and family? Brother to John "Trader" Benge? Thomas Benge family also married into the Cherokees?

    • Vicki L Hill
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
        I can't answer your question, but I'm very interested if you can tell me
        where to find the information on this Thomas Benge.

        My great-great grandfather was Thomas H. Benge, born 1845 in Alabama. He
        later lived and died in Chattanooga, TN. The most documented portion of the
        Benge family is that of John "Trader" Benge and the Cherokee connection.
        I've found nothing that would tie MY Thomas Benge to this Cherokee line.
        (Given the name and location, I'm guessing that there is a connection, just
        further back in time and not Cherokee.)

        My Thomas Benge had 3 daughters. One married and went to Texas (my line);
        the others remained in the Chattanooga area.

        Vicki Hill

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
          Three or four years ago, I researched the Terrell Gray family of Paint
          Rock Valley and traced their Thomas Benge line back to Wilkes Co, NC.
          Later this week I will go through that material and post what I found in
          the North Carolina records. Presently I don't remember finding
          anything that tied the Thomas Benge who came to Jackson County to John
          (Trader) Benge.

        • Jerry Triplett
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
            Vicki: Do you have access to Ancestry.com; either personally or through a library?

            I'll find the application but I need to know the easiest way to get you the info. From what I can see, app # 74397 was filed in Dallas, TX in 1952. It lists Thomas Sr and maybe a son Rev Richard Benge. I looked on ancestry for Thomas H but no one seems to list his parents.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
              Yes, I have Ancestry.com. Interesting that the application comes from Dallas; that is where my Benge descendant ended up as well.

              Vicki

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
                Thanks, Ann. Somewhere I have read that The Benges and the Martins, along with another family that I can't recall, were all Cherokee traders. It is interesting to me that both families (Thomas and John) intermarried with Martins. Seems like quite a coincidence.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
                  Vicki: Well, I've had great fun today!

                  I believe that Thomas Benge and John Benge were brothers; both born in the 1730's. If you go on Ancestry and do a search for Susannah Lewis 1742 you should find the SAR application for the info on Thomas and Susannah.. I think there are multiple apps. The RW soldier being proven is William Terrell Lewis. I have not searched his name but I'm sure he is out there.

                  Don't have Thomas H yet but he has got to be a part of this family.

                  If you wish, keep an eye on "Cherokees I Never Knew". This is about my third or fourth attempt to use Ancestry to build a DB of Cherokees that might have lived in and remained in the Jackson County general area. It is a tough task so take what is there "with a grain of salt".

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 5, 2011
                    Thanks! I’ll try to look this weekend.

                    Vicki

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2011
                      Jerry, can you post a link to the Cherokees I never knew db?

                      Thanks!
                      Anne Johnson

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6, 2011
                        Anne: There is probably a way to go directly but I don't know it. But over the hill and across the creek...............................

                        Do an ancestry search on David "King" Benge born 1760 VA.
                        Look for the picture King David marker.
                        Click on it and look at "other trees".
                        You should see Cherokees I Never Knew listed.

                        Jerry, can you post a link to the Cherokees I never knew db?

                        Thanks!
                        Anne Johnson
                        On Oct 5, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Jerry Triplett wrote:

                        > Vicki: Well, I've had great fun today!
                        >
                        > I believe that Thomas Benge and John Benge were brothers; both born
                        > in the 1730's. If you go on Ancestry and do a search for Susannah
                        > Lewis 1742 you should find the SAR application for the info on
                        > Thomas and Susannah.. I think there are multiple apps. The RW
                        > soldier being proven is William Terrell Lewis. I have not searched
                        > his name but I'm sure he is out there.
                        >
                        > Don't have Thomas H yet but he has got to be a part of this family.
                        >
                        > If you wish, keep an eye on "Cherokees I Never Knew". This is about
                        > my third or fourth attempt to use Ancestry to build a DB of
                        > Cherokees that might have lived in and remained in the Jackson
                        > County general area. It is a tough task so take what is there "with
                        > a grain of salt".

                      • Roger Burbank
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 6, 2011
                          Hi, what about the Vann families? they go back to Cherokee and Shawnee.  They stayed in Jackson and surrounding Co's.  Rog

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 6, 2011
                            Agreed; they are on my radar.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 6, 2011
                              My 5th great grandfather Thomas Vann 1782- was some times called chief Thomas Vann.  I have alot of info on the Vans.  Some are on the rolls. I found one cousin in Huntsville that said his father was on the Cherokee rolls, this cousin was a Vann and Mccutchen.  Rog