Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Union Units from Jackson County

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
      If you all are comfortable posting it, I think many of us on the list would be interested in hearing the story about Shadrack Golden.

    • John Green
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
        Bill,

        That's the one. One of my fellow McCOLLUM researchers contacted one of KENNEDY's descendents. When he had identified himself and asked what her family might know about the incident, she laughed and asked if he had finally called to apologize for killing her ancestor! They both had a good chuckle over a serious subject, but her family's account was pretty much what I have read in the Provost Marshall's records of the incident.

        John

      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
          John,

          Clay is probably right about Harmonious because it does not show on the map until about 1881 and changed to Oakley by 1900. Obviously things were not harmonious during the war but this is all about our kin folks and some of them loved each other and some did not. Still looking for info on this area called Harmonious/Oakley. It was located between Francisco and Swaim.

          Cuz Bill

          That's the one. One of my fellow McCOLLUM researchers contacted one of KENNEDY's descendents. When he had identified himself and asked what her family might know about the incident, she laughed and asked if he had finally called to apologize for killing her ancestor! They both had a good chuckle over a serious subject, but her family's account was pretty much what I have read in the Provost Marshall's records of the incident.

          John
          On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:52 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

          > John, was the man a Kennedy, that was killed? If so I am aware of this and he was from the Harmonious area.
          >
          > Cuz Bill

        • Faye Craig
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
            Clay, please let me know if you have a problem with my posting the information I have on this story. I will await your reply.

            Thanks,
            Faye

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
              No problem with posting family stories and what units your ancestors were in.. I do not want anyone to start posting on the causes of the Civil War as it always gets very divisive. That and religion are the best ways I know to destroy a group.

              We have discussed the murder of Joseph "Uncle Joe" Sanders/Saunders (b.1793 d. 10 Mar 1863) by bushwhackers on this group a few years ago. Uncle Joe was a Union supporter whose sons and nephews served in the Union Army.

              We also had a member post on an ancestor who had to flee in the night and hide in caves until they could make their way to Tennessee behind Union lines.

              Clay

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                Thank you, Clay. I have the following information on Shadrack Golden, which I am happy to share. This occurred in Madison, rather than Jackson County, near the New Market area.

                Shadrack Golden is buried in the Bragg Cemetery in NW corner of SE 1/4 Sec 15 T2 R2 E. This is located on Hurricane Road in Hurricane Valley, in Madison County, behind a private home belonging to Norris descendants. They were very gracious in allowing me access to the cemetery several years ago.

                Inscription on cemetery marker: "Shedrick Golden Was born July 4, 1808 in the year of our Lord. On the 13th day of January, 1865 he was taken off and murdered for maintaining the Union and Constation of the United States" (I have copied as inscribed on his marker).

                I quote from Madison County Cemetery Book, Vol. II by Dorothy Scott Johnson: 'This man is still referred to in the community by his nickname "Shed" Golden. He was killing hogs at a natural spring along with William E. Norris (1835-1920) when "bushwackers" accousted them. Young Norris outran them but they caught Shed Golden and killed him. Mr. Golden did not believe in slavery. He was a fiercely patriotic man and the Golden family was known to be honest and fine citizens. The "Yankees" forced the community to bury him 'in style' according to the grandson of William E. Norris, W. Howard Norris.'

                The following information was given by Howard Norris to my great aunt many years ago: ""Shad and William E. Norris were butchering hogs at Campbell Spring on January 13, 1865. They heard horses riding toward them and looked up to see a group of Rebel soldiers coming. Shad yelled for William to run. William ran up into the mountain and hid in an old hollow log. He said that he could hear the men tramping around him and yelling "Come on out, you SOB. We know you're here and we're gonna find you." He didn't come out, but stayed there until they gave up on finding him and turned their full attention to Shad.

                Shad asked the men to take him to his home (which was just a short distance away) so that he could get his tobacco for a smoke. They agreed and after he got to his home, he was able to toss a pouch of money behind some unlit logs for his family to find later. The soldiers then took him to a small hill, behind the old church and killed him.""

                An excerpt from the journal of Thomas Benton Hart McCain, member of a Union troop out of Indiana, reads as follows:

                "Monday Jan. 16th 1865......After breakfasting we struck up Mountain Fork valley eastward from New Market and after going two miles struck the road which led to the Baker settlement in Hurricane Creek valley. At Bakers we changed our course southernward toward Golden Hollow named after a man named Golden. This same man was killed last Friday by guerrillas. The citizens are burying him today. Upon reaching Hurricane meeting house a distance of two and a half miles from Golden Hollow we encamped."

                Hopefully this information will be of benefit to the person posting earlier today who was a descendant of Ruben Golden, brother to Shadrack.

                In researching the Campbells and Goldens, I met one of Ruben's descendants, Lowell Bates, who lives in Kelso, Tennessee and has a store between New Market and the Alabama state line. He is a storehouse of information on the Golden family, and was very helpful and generous in sharing information.

                Faye

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Faye, the information you have given is correct. My grandfather, David Wesley Hambrick (1831-1917), married Elizabeth Golden (1837-1882), daughter of Shad Golden and moved to Jackson County in Hambrick "Sinks" on Dry Creek Road with his parents Greenberry (1789-1865) & Elizabeth (1789-1871) (Dameron) Hambrick. My grandfather had served 2 years in the Starnes-McLemore 4th TN Cavalry Co. K. under Capt. Francisco Rice and had been furloughed home on account of sickness when this happened.

                  To make a long story short; Shadrack and a neighbor, on the 13th of January 1865, were killing hogs, when a mob of Rebel Bushwhackers approached them shouting obscenities. It was told that the young neighbor, William E. Norris, outran the mob but Shadrack could not. They tied his hands behind him, and with a rope around his neck, pulled him along like one would pull an animal. Foul smelling men with whiskey breath cursed and jeered him, asking him "Where are your damm Yankee friends now Union Man?" The leader of the mob stepped forward and in a loud voice shouted, "Shadrack Golden, you are guilty of treason for aiding the enemy in time of war in this community, and your sentence is death. Have you any last words?" "Yes, long live Abe Lincoln and the Union." Shadrack shouted. There was a brief silence. The command "Fire" was given, and a barrage of gunshots rang out echoing throughout the hollows.

                  Very few attended the funeral only those that were forced by the Yankee colonel in charge, and with military honors, Shadrack was laid to rest. For years workers who cleaned the cemetery grounds would pile the trash and debris on Shadrack's grave. The inscription on his tombstone, ordered by the Yankee colonel in charge to be inscribed, has faded with time as has the hatred.

                  Jewel

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 13, 2011
                    My grandmother's aunt-Susan E. Williams married Ami Simmons who met her
                    while he was camped close to their home with his Ohio unit-he came back to
                    marry her and even attended the CSA reunions. It was either in western
                    Jackson or eastern Madison county. My grandmother was Sarah Tipton
                    Godbey.. Her mother was Rebecca Ann Williams Tipton. Interested if anyone
                    knows anything else about them.

                  • billy hill
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 13, 2011
                      clay would you remind me who uncle joe snaders is kin to i have sanders. john wesley sanders was my ggf thanks billy hill

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 14, 2011
                        Billy

                        Joseph "Uncle Joe" Sanders b. 1793 Randolph Co. NC d. 10 Mar 1863 Mud Creek (Kyles) Jackson Co. AL
                        m. 1st. Martha Sanders 21 Aug 1809 Rancolph Co. NC
                        m. 2nd Deborah Sanders ca 1838 Jackson Co. AL
                        m. 3rd Mahala Shelton (Harper) wd of Nathaniel Shelton 11 Nov 1860 Jackson Co. AL

                        He had ten children with his first wife. Three with his second and none with his third.

                        Here is a link to the Sanders/Saunders Website which gives his children and the details of his death.

                        http://www.home.earthllink.net/~garysanders/#UncleJoe

                        If the link doesn't work google: Joseph Sanders of Jackson County Alabama.

                        Uncle Joe is buried across from the Blowing Cave. He had land in Sect 8 Township 3 Range 6 which is just west of Kyles.

                        I don't know whether Malaha Harper Shelton Sanders is kin to my Harpers and Sheltons in Jackson Co. but she most likely is.

                        There is a photo of his gravestone on findagrave. Also some photos at jacksongenealogy website under Johnson, Clements, Sanders families by Frances Lamberth. Note the dates on his gravestone are in error.

                        Clay

                        clay would you remind me who uncle joe snaders is kin to i have sanders. john wesley sanders was my ggf thanks billy hill

                        Clay, please let me know if you have a problem with my posting the information I have on this story. I will await your reply.

                        Thanks,
                        Faye

                        If you all are comfortable posting it, I think many of us on the list would be interested in hearing the story about Shadrack Golden.

                      • quietholler.dana
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 17, 2011
                          Faye- Thank you so much for writing this down. Sad story :-( I hadn't realized I was wandering into treacherous territory when I asked the question, but in hindsight I can see how delicate the subject is. How on earth did so many of our ancestors survive this? I am constantly amazed. Dana