Re: [jacksongenealogy] Union Units from Jackson County

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 10, 2011
      My great grandfather Robert Hastings was a member of Gilbreath's Scouts, Spies, and Guides.   The mountain people didn't have much land or slaves so some of them looked at it as a planters war.

      His widow filed for his pension.  I ordered the roster of the First Tennessee Alabama Vidette Cavalry from Mountain Press.  It includes the has the county a lot of the men were from.  My ancestor's name wasn't in there (since he was a scout) but I enjoyed the small book.  There are several bit of correspondence about union activities in N. Alabama including the skirmish at Hunt's Mill.  The maps weren't that great though.   Happy to do a lookup.

      After the war Gilbreath was put in charge of distributing rations in Jackson County.  Here is a little info on him.

      http://www.angelfire.com/al2/1sttnalvidcav/michaelgilbreath.htm

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 10, 2011
        Do you have the website of this?

        Besides the 1st Alabama Cavalry there was another Union Unit from Jackson and surrounding Counties the First Tennessee and Alabama Indepentant Vidette Cavalry. Shows photos and burial places at their website.

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 10, 2011
          Just google: First Tennessee and Alabama Independant Vidette Cavalry,

          Clay

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 10, 2011
            My husband's g/f was in the Union Army from Jackson Co. -- Co I 8th Ind Cav.

            http://www.angelfire.com/al2/1sttnalvidcav/michaelgilbreath.htm<http://www.angelfire.com/al2/1sttnalvidcav/michaelgilbreath.htm>

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 10, 2011
              Thanks, will do

            • cagle8185@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                I think a lot of folks in JC may be surprised if they knew their family history. The SCC has best info on this.

                Bill Cagle

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                  I was surprised to learn that my GGgrandfather, Jesse Greenberry Messer, and his father, William Messer, had fought for the Union in the 1st Alabama Cavalry. I had assumed South = CSA.

                  I'd like to ask a question that is just slightly off this topic, but related to Union sympathizers in Jackson County:

                  My GGGGgrandfather, Ruben Golden, is shown living in Jackson County in the 1870 census (he had lived in Madison County prior to this). My question is about Ruben's brother, Shadrack Golden. I read (on Genforum , I think) that Shadrack was murdered in Jackson County just after the war because he held antislavery beliefs (the Goldens were a divided family). The poster stated that Shadrack and another man had been in one of his fields and that he was accosted and murdered. The other man fled and survived. Does anyone know if this actually happened?

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                    The ones who chose to go one way are the other had a side to be on. The ones who chose to stay out of it, caught hell from both sides.

                    Bill Cagle

                    I was surprised to learn that my GGgrandfather, Jesse Greenberry Messer, and his father, William Messer, had fought for the Union in the 1st Alabama Cavalry. I had assumed South = CSA.

                    I'd like to ask a question that is just slightly off this topic, but related to Union sympathizers in Jackson County:

                    My GGGGgrandfather, Ruben Golden, is shown living in Jackson County in the 1870 census (he had lived in Madison County prior to this). My question is about Ruben's brother, Shadrack Golden. I read (on Genforum , I think) that Shadrack was murdered in Jackson County just after the war because he held antislavery beliefs (the Goldens were a divided family). The poster stated that Shadrack and another man had been in one of his fields and that he was accosted and murdered. The other man fled and survived. Does anyone know if this actually happened?

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                    > Besides the 1st Alabama Cavalry there was another Union Unit from Jackson and surrounding Counties the First Tennessee and Alabama Indepentant Vidette Cavalry. Shows photos and burial places at their website.
                    >
                    > Clay

                  • Waynette Davis
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                      I too would like to know if Mr. Mackey's list is available on line ?

                      Waynette Davis

                    • clyde broadway
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                        Mr. Ralph Mackey has compiled a list of soldiers who served on both sides  from Jackson County. I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but you ought to know about it. He has done a lot of research in compiling this, and deserves an expression of our gratitude.

                        Clyde Broadway

                        The ones who chose to go one way are the other had a side to be on. The ones who chose to stay out of it, caught hell from both sides.

                        Bill Cagle

                        I was surprised to learn that my GGgrandfather, Jesse Greenberry Messer, and his father, William Messer, had fought for the Union in the 1st Alabama Cavalry. I had assumed South = CSA.

                        I'd like to ask a question that is just slightly off this topic, but related to Union sympathizers in Jackson County:

                        My GGGGgrandfather, Ruben Golden, is shown living in Jackson County in the 1870 census (he had lived in Madison County prior to this). My question is about Ruben's brother, Shadrack Golden. I read (on Genforum , I think) that Shadrack was murdered in Jackson County just after the war because he held antislavery beliefs (the Goldens were a divided family). The poster stated that Shadrack and another man had been in one of his fields and that he was accosted and murdered. The other man fled and survived. Does anyone know if this actually happened?

                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                        > Besides the 1st Alabama Cavalry there was another Union Unit from Jackson and surrounding Counties the First Tennessee and Alabama Indepentant Vidette Cavalry. Shows photos and burial places at their website.
                        >
                        > Clay

                      • Pat Foster
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 11, 2011
                          I read a book some time ago about “The Women of North Carolina.”

                          I’m sure the conditions were somewhat similar in Alabama.

                          One of the incidences I remember from that book was telling how the women didn’t have any way of providing food for the children while the men were off in the war.

                          So, a group of them broke into a warehouse where someone was hoarding the flour, etc., and got them some staples so they could feed their families .

                          And, there were those small southern farmers who had no slaves, sympathizing with the north. There was some sabotage done by them.

                          Pat Foster

                          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                          > Besides the 1st Alabama Cavalry there was another Union Unit from Jackson and surrounding Counties the First Tennessee and Alabama Indepentant Vidette Cavalry. Shows photos and burial places at their website.
                          >
                          > Clay

                        • John Green
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                            During the War Between the States no matter what your personal beliefs happened to be you would be pressured to support one side or the other. During the Yankee occupation of south central Tennessee, there were many raids on the Nashville to Stevenson Railroad by Confederate raiders as well as "Bushwhackers" who were civilians who supported the Rebel cause. Non-combatants and people who did not care one way or the other about the War were set upon by BOTH sides. It must have been terrible. My ancestors on my father's side were slave owners and staunch Confederates who helped support raiders. The Yankee Provost Marshall ordered their house to be burned. The soldiers would not even left my GGrandmother recover a ring given to her by her boy friend who had already died in the War before carrying out the order. At least that's the family's story. One of my GGrandmother's brothers was accused of helping murder a Union sympathizer in 1863. Bad times all around.

                            John McCollum Green

                            On Sep 11, 2011, at 11:19 PM, Pat Foster wrote:

                            > I read a book some time ago about �The Women of North Carolina.�
                            >
                            > I�m sure the conditions were somewhat similar in Alabama.
                            >
                            > One of the incidences I remember from that book was telling how the women didn�t have any way of providing food for the children while the men were off in the war.
                            >
                            > So, a group of them broke into a warehouse where someone was hoarding the flour, etc., and got them some staples so they could feed their families .
                            >
                            > And, there were those small southern farmers who had no slaves, sympathizing with the north. There was some sabotage done by them.
                            >
                            > Pat Foster

                          • Faye Craig
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                              Yes, unfortunately, this occurred. Shadrack Golden is my gggrandfather; I will write you off list when I get home late today or tomorrow.

                              Faye Campbell Craig

                            • cagle8185@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                John, was the man a Kennedy, that was killed? If so I am aware of this and he was from the Harmonious area.

                                Cuz Bill

> [...]

                                870 census (he had lived in Madison County prior to this). My question is about
                                uben's brother, Shadrack Golden. I read (on Genforum , I think) that Shadrack
                                as murdered in Jackson County just after the war because he held antislavery
                                eliefs (the Goldens were a divided family). The poster stated that Shadrack and
                                nother man had been in one of his fields and that he was accosted and murdered.
                                he other man fled and survived. Does anyone know if this actually happened?

                                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                > Besides the 1st Alabama Cavalry there was another Union Unit from Jackson
                                nd surrounding Counties the First Tennessee and Alabama Indepentant Vidette
                                avalry. Shows photos and burial places at their website.

                              • Karl Plenge
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                  If you all are comfortable posting it, I think many of us on the list would be interested in hearing the story about Shadrack Golden.

                                • John Green
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                    Bill,

                                    That's the one. One of my fellow McCOLLUM researchers contacted one of KENNEDY's descendents. When he had identified himself and asked what her family might know about the incident, she laughed and asked if he had finally called to apologize for killing her ancestor! They both had a good chuckle over a serious subject, but her family's account was pretty much what I have read in the Provost Marshall's records of the incident.

                                    John

                                  • cagle8185@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                      John,

                                      Clay is probably right about Harmonious because it does not show on the map until about 1881 and changed to Oakley by 1900. Obviously things were not harmonious during the war but this is all about our kin folks and some of them loved each other and some did not. Still looking for info on this area called Harmonious/Oakley. It was located between Francisco and Swaim.

                                      Cuz Bill

                                      That's the one. One of my fellow McCOLLUM researchers contacted one of KENNEDY's descendents. When he had identified himself and asked what her family might know about the incident, she laughed and asked if he had finally called to apologize for killing her ancestor! They both had a good chuckle over a serious subject, but her family's account was pretty much what I have read in the Provost Marshall's records of the incident.

                                      John
                                      On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:52 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

                                      > John, was the man a Kennedy, that was killed? If so I am aware of this and he was from the Harmonious area.
                                      >
                                      > Cuz Bill

                                    • Faye Craig
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                        Clay, please let me know if you have a problem with my posting the information I have on this story. I will await your reply.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Faye

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                          No problem with posting family stories and what units your ancestors were in.. I do not want anyone to start posting on the causes of the Civil War as it always gets very divisive. That and religion are the best ways I know to destroy a group.

                                          We have discussed the murder of Joseph "Uncle Joe" Sanders/Saunders (b.1793 d. 10 Mar 1863) by bushwhackers on this group a few years ago. Uncle Joe was a Union supporter whose sons and nephews served in the Union Army.

                                          We also had a member post on an ancestor who had to flee in the night and hide in caves until they could make their way to Tennessee behind Union lines.

                                          Clay

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                            Thank you, Clay. I have the following information on Shadrack Golden, which I am happy to share. This occurred in Madison, rather than Jackson County, near the New Market area.

                                            Shadrack Golden is buried in the Bragg Cemetery in NW corner of SE 1/4 Sec 15 T2 R2 E. This is located on Hurricane Road in Hurricane Valley, in Madison County, behind a private home belonging to Norris descendants. They were very gracious in allowing me access to the cemetery several years ago.

                                            Inscription on cemetery marker: "Shedrick Golden Was born July 4, 1808 in the year of our Lord. On the 13th day of January, 1865 he was taken off and murdered for maintaining the Union and Constation of the United States" (I have copied as inscribed on his marker).

                                            I quote from Madison County Cemetery Book, Vol. II by Dorothy Scott Johnson: 'This man is still referred to in the community by his nickname "Shed" Golden. He was killing hogs at a natural spring along with William E. Norris (1835-1920) when "bushwackers" accousted them. Young Norris outran them but they caught Shed Golden and killed him. Mr. Golden did not believe in slavery. He was a fiercely patriotic man and the Golden family was known to be honest and fine citizens. The "Yankees" forced the community to bury him 'in style' according to the grandson of William E. Norris, W. Howard Norris.'

                                            The following information was given by Howard Norris to my great aunt many years ago: ""Shad and William E. Norris were butchering hogs at Campbell Spring on January 13, 1865. They heard horses riding toward them and looked up to see a group of Rebel soldiers coming. Shad yelled for William to run. William ran up into the mountain and hid in an old hollow log. He said that he could hear the men tramping around him and yelling "Come on out, you SOB. We know you're here and we're gonna find you." He didn't come out, but stayed there until they gave up on finding him and turned their full attention to Shad.

                                            Shad asked the men to take him to his home (which was just a short distance away) so that he could get his tobacco for a smoke. They agreed and after he got to his home, he was able to toss a pouch of money behind some unlit logs for his family to find later. The soldiers then took him to a small hill, behind the old church and killed him.""

                                            An excerpt from the journal of Thomas Benton Hart McCain, member of a Union troop out of Indiana, reads as follows:

                                            "Monday Jan. 16th 1865......After breakfasting we struck up Mountain Fork valley eastward from New Market and after going two miles struck the road which led to the Baker settlement in Hurricane Creek valley. At Bakers we changed our course southernward toward Golden Hollow named after a man named Golden. This same man was killed last Friday by guerrillas. The citizens are burying him today. Upon reaching Hurricane meeting house a distance of two and a half miles from Golden Hollow we encamped."

                                            Hopefully this information will be of benefit to the person posting earlier today who was a descendant of Ruben Golden, brother to Shadrack.

                                            In researching the Campbells and Goldens, I met one of Ruben's descendants, Lowell Bates, who lives in Kelso, Tennessee and has a store between New Market and the Alabama state line. He is a storehouse of information on the Golden family, and was very helpful and generous in sharing information.

                                            Faye

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 12, 2011
                                              Faye, the information you have given is correct. My grandfather, David Wesley Hambrick (1831-1917), married Elizabeth Golden (1837-1882), daughter of Shad Golden and moved to Jackson County in Hambrick "Sinks" on Dry Creek Road with his parents Greenberry (1789-1865) & Elizabeth (1789-1871) (Dameron) Hambrick. My grandfather had served 2 years in the Starnes-McLemore 4th TN Cavalry Co. K. under Capt. Francisco Rice and had been furloughed home on account of sickness when this happened.

                                              To make a long story short; Shadrack and a neighbor, on the 13th of January 1865, were killing hogs, when a mob of Rebel Bushwhackers approached them shouting obscenities. It was told that the young neighbor, William E. Norris, outran the mob but Shadrack could not. They tied his hands behind him, and with a rope around his neck, pulled him along like one would pull an animal. Foul smelling men with whiskey breath cursed and jeered him, asking him "Where are your damm Yankee friends now Union Man?" The leader of the mob stepped forward and in a loud voice shouted, "Shadrack Golden, you are guilty of treason for aiding the enemy in time of war in this community, and your sentence is death. Have you any last words?" "Yes, long live Abe Lincoln and the Union." Shadrack shouted. There was a brief silence. The command "Fire" was given, and a barrage of gunshots rang out echoing throughout the hollows.

                                              Very few attended the funeral only those that were forced by the Yankee colonel in charge, and with military honors, Shadrack was laid to rest. For years workers who cleaned the cemetery grounds would pile the trash and debris on Shadrack's grave. The inscription on his tombstone, ordered by the Yankee colonel in charge to be inscribed, has faded with time as has the hatred.

                                              Jewel

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 13, 2011
                                                My grandmother's aunt-Susan E. Williams married Ami Simmons who met her
                                                while he was camped close to their home with his Ohio unit-he came back to
                                                marry her and even attended the CSA reunions. It was either in western
                                                Jackson or eastern Madison county. My grandmother was Sarah Tipton
                                                Godbey.. Her mother was Rebecca Ann Williams Tipton. Interested if anyone
                                                knows anything else about them.

                                              • billy hill
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 13, 2011
                                                  clay would you remind me who uncle joe snaders is kin to i have sanders. john wesley sanders was my ggf thanks billy hill

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 14, 2011
                                                    Billy

                                                    Joseph "Uncle Joe" Sanders b. 1793 Randolph Co. NC d. 10 Mar 1863 Mud Creek (Kyles) Jackson Co. AL
                                                    m. 1st. Martha Sanders 21 Aug 1809 Rancolph Co. NC
                                                    m. 2nd Deborah Sanders ca 1838 Jackson Co. AL
                                                    m. 3rd Mahala Shelton (Harper) wd of Nathaniel Shelton 11 Nov 1860 Jackson Co. AL

                                                    He had ten children with his first wife. Three with his second and none with his third.

                                                    Here is a link to the Sanders/Saunders Website which gives his children and the details of his death.

                                                    http://www.home.earthllink.net/~garysanders/#UncleJoe

                                                    If the link doesn't work google: Joseph Sanders of Jackson County Alabama.

                                                    Uncle Joe is buried across from the Blowing Cave. He had land in Sect 8 Township 3 Range 6 which is just west of Kyles.

                                                    I don't know whether Malaha Harper Shelton Sanders is kin to my Harpers and Sheltons in Jackson Co. but she most likely is.

                                                    There is a photo of his gravestone on findagrave. Also some photos at jacksongenealogy website under Johnson, Clements, Sanders families by Frances Lamberth. Note the dates on his gravestone are in error.

                                                    Clay

                                                    clay would you remind me who uncle joe snaders is kin to i have sanders. john wesley sanders was my ggf thanks billy hill

                                                    Clay, please let me know if you have a problem with my posting the information I have on this story. I will await your reply.

                                                    Thanks,
                                                    Faye

                                                    If you all are comfortable posting it, I think many of us on the list would be interested in hearing the story about Shadrack Golden.

                                                  • quietholler.dana
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 17, 2011
                                                      Faye- Thank you so much for writing this down. Sad story :-( I hadn't realized I was wandering into treacherous territory when I asked the question, but in hindsight I can see how delicate the subject is. How on earth did so many of our ancestors survive this? I am constantly amazed. Dana