Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Ruhama Green's Parents - Harmony, Jackson Co.

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2011
      Bill,

      You know the story of Curtis McCollum who was Charlotte McCollum's father. Curtis' brother, James McCollum owned land in this area. According to my records he bought the SW 1/4 of the NE 1/4, Section 18, Township 1, Range 4E in Dec 1847. This piece is a few miles up Puncheon from Larkin. He also bought NW 1/4 of NW 1/4, Section 18, Township 1, Range 4E in Oct 1854. This piece is right at the end of Puncheon Cove, just downstream from your house. James' son, Rufus McCollum also bought the NE 1/4 of NW 1/4 Section 18, Range 4E in July 1852. Further up the cove, Curtis bought the S 1/2 of the SE 1/4, Section 12, Township 1, Range 3E in March 1863, which must mean from the Confederate government. This piece includes Hayes Cemetery. This was probably not considered a valid sale by the US Government. I have no idea who else may have owned property in this area.

      John