Re: [jacksongenealogy] Ruhama Green's Parents

  • cagle8185@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2011
      Clay,

      Do you have any history about the town called Harmony?

      Bill Cagle

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2011
        Bill

        Sorry I don't. Ann Chambless may have its history.

        On the 1910 Census they are listed as living on Jarkins Creek and Huntland Road.

        Clay

      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
          Clay,

          This would be Larkin Creek and they lived up in Puncheon Cove at the Riddle spring branch. Riddle spring branch runs into Puncheon branch and this runs into Larkin Fork Branch. Larkin and Estill Fork join and create the Paint Rock River The old chimney is still standing at the "Pig Riddle Place".

          Bill

          Sorry I don't. Ann Chambless may have its history.

          On the 1910 Census they are listed as living on Jarkins Creek and Huntland Road.

          Clay

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, cagle8185@... wrote:

          > Clay,
          >
          > Do you have any history about the town called Harmony?
          >

          > Bill Cagle

        • Delilah
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
            http://alabama.hometownlocator.com/al/lawrence/harmony.cfm

            http://alabama.hometownlocator.com/al/covington/harmony.cfm
            Do you have any history about the town called Harmony?

            Bill Cagle

            William H. Green m. Charlotte E. McCollum 06 Feb 1867 Jackson County AL
            JOP Jonathan Beason, Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research.

            You can find them on the 1870/80 1900/10/20 Jackson Co. Census, on the 1910/20 they are living in Harmony.

          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
              Neither one of the below are in Jackson County.

              The one we are looking on was located up in the Paint Rock Valley. Must have been a very small village on Larkins Creek what we today would call a wide spot in the road. May have had a PO at one time located in someone's home or a store.

            • mbpowell@cox.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
                Isn't Harmony in Marshall Co.?

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, cagle8185@... wrote:

                > Clay,
                >
                > Do you have any history about the town called Harmony?
                >

                > Bill Cagle

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
                  The Harmony we are looking for the history of, was located up in Paint Rock Valley probably on Larkins Fork Creek, which is Northeast of Princeton.

                  Harmony maybe the same as Larkins Fork (a crossroads) where a post office was established on the East side of Larkins Fork Creek in 1830 and was Paint Rock Valley's first PO. The PO ceased operations during the Civil War but resumed by 1870 and disappeared in the early 1900s.
                  The mail route ran from Larkinsville across Cumberland Mountain through Larkins Fork.

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
                    Harmony is shown on the old Alabama historical maps and is as discribed in the intersection of Puncheon Cove and Larkin Fork Creek.

                  • cagle8185@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2011
                      No

                      > Do you have any history about the town called Harmony?
                      >

                      > Bill Cagle

                    • John Green
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9, 2011
                        Bill and Clay,

                        To my knowledge, William H. Green and Charlotte E. Green (nee McCollum) built the house that still stands on the north side of AL 65 in the big curve just south of the Tennessee line and lived there until their deaths. William and Charlotte built this house in 1874 after buying the land from Charlotte's brother, Newton Franklin McCollum (who had married William's sister, Nancy Emaline Green). My cousin, Elvis Green, has given me a copy of the History of Francisco Community written by Fred Green in 1928 and then updated by Elvis and his mother Eugenia to bring it up to date. This document states that the town was named for War Between the States hero Francisco Rice. A Post Office was established here in 1874 with M. H. Rich as Postmaster. He was succeeded 4 years later by William H. Green who served for 30 years using his store as the Post Office. About 1908 the Post Office was moved across Larkin Creek to J. F. Hall's store where he served as Post Master. Six years later, William's son Charlie Green was named Post Master and the Office moved back across the creek to W. H. Green's store. Charlie served until 1940 when his wife, Sallie, was named Post Mistress. She served until the Post Office was closed in 1957.

                        Ruhamia was William and Charlotte's first born, but I am unclear on her birth date. I don't know who she married or where she lived. I have no idea where Harmony was located, but I tend to agree with Bill Cagle that it was probably at the intersection of Larkin Fork and Puncheon Creek.

                        John McCollum Green

                      • cagle8185@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 9, 2011
                          John,

                          Harmony was located in the area described and is shown on Al. historical maps. Elvis Green gave me a copy of a photo of Ruhama and "Pig" and their old home place is on property we own. Ruhama was my ggggrandmother and their first born was Mary Riddle, who was my gggrandmother.

                          There are stories about how the live stock was driven up in Puncheon Cove, during the war, to hide from both sides. There is a bluff about 250' high just before you get to the "Pig Riddle Place". If any one came up the cove they were prime targets for Bushwackers at this "hole". This same spot was later used by Moonshiners for the same reason. The spring a the Riddle Sping Branch was a place where moonshine was a business location and the "hole" was used by lookouts.

                          My interest is any history about Harmony or Harmonius as it was sometimes called. Land records show Cagles here in 1852 but some folks were here before that. I think it may be a area that White and Indian both lived and was called Harmony for that reason but I do not know.

                          Bill Cagle

                          To my knowledge, William H. Green and Charlotte E. Green (nee McCollum) built the house that still stands on the north side of AL 65 in the big curve just south of the Tennessee line and lived there until their deaths. William and Charlotte built this house in 1874 after buying the land from Charlotte's brother, Newton Franklin McCollum (who had married William's sister, Nancy Emaline Green). My cousin, Elvis Green, has given me a copy of the History of Francisco Community written by Fred Green in 1928 and then updated by Elvis and his mother Eugenia to bring it up to date. This document states that the town was named for War Between the States hero Francisco Rice. A Post Office was established here in 1874 with M. H. Rich as Postmaster. He was succeeded 4 years later by William H. Green who served for 30 years using his store as the Post Office. About 1908 the Post Office was moved across Larkin Creek to J. F. Hall's store where he served as Post Master. Six years lat er, William's son Charlie Green was named Post Master and the Office moved back across the creek to W. H. Green's store. Charlie served until 1940 when his wife, Sallie, was named Post Mistress. She served until the Post Office was closed in 1957.

                          Ruhamia was William and Charlotte's first born, but I am unclear on her birth date. I don't know who she married or where she lived. I have no idea where Harmony was located, but I tend to agree with Bill Cagle that it was probably at the intersection of Larkin Fork and Puncheon Creek.

                          John McCollum Green
                          On Sep 8, 2011, at 2:59 PM, cagle8185@... wrote:

                          > Harmony is shown on the old Alabama historical maps and is as discribed in the intersection of Puncheon Cove and Larkin Fork Creek.

                        • John Green
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 10, 2011
                            Bill,

                            You know the story of Curtis McCollum who was Charlotte McCollum's father. Curtis' brother, James McCollum owned land in this area. According to my records he bought the SW 1/4 of the NE 1/4, Section 18, Township 1, Range 4E in Dec 1847. This piece is a few miles up Puncheon from Larkin. He also bought NW 1/4 of NW 1/4, Section 18, Township 1, Range 4E in Oct 1854. This piece is right at the end of Puncheon Cove, just downstream from your house. James' son, Rufus McCollum also bought the NE 1/4 of NW 1/4 Section 18, Range 4E in July 1852. Further up the cove, Curtis bought the S 1/2 of the SE 1/4, Section 12, Township 1, Range 3E in March 1863, which must mean from the Confederate government. This piece includes Hayes Cemetery. This was probably not considered a valid sale by the US Government. I have no idea who else may have owned property in this area.

                            John