Wagons and Train Travel From Jackson County, AL

  • anno78216
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2011
      I read with interest about the families and their mode of travel when they migrated to other states. I wanted to share some of my research.
      Below is what is known about the travel and migration of some of my family lines.
      Allison*, James Lowery (collateral line) started for Texas abt. 1857-1858 and probably by Wagon. He brought his complete family including married daughters with their families: Eliza Amanda Allison McPherson, G. Cornelia Jane Allison Corn, and Mary Ann Allison Rash. Family stories place them in Newton County Arkansas (his sister, Polly Allison Carlton is living there) and then they traveled to Johnson County, TX, later Hood County. Polly's son, George Carlton, is said to travel with the family to Texas. In 1860, James Lowery Allison's wife, Mary Carlton Allison, dies and he returns to Jackson County and marries two more times.

      Carlton, George (same as above) and wife, Nan Rogers Carlton left Jackson about 1870-71 and first stopped in Somervell County, TX. The couple traveled with families which included parents of Nancy Rogers - George Rogers and Eliza McCrary and her sisters: Bette Rogers Willis Medlan, Ann Rogers Brogdon, Prudence Rogers Willis, and Margaret F. Rogers Turner. Also, brothers included Wm LeRoy Rogers, Samuel Preston Rogers and John Rogers. Family lore states they traveled by wagon all together. The families only stayed a little over a year in the county of Somervelle. After the Comanche situation was settled in Young County by the end of 1871, the families DID travel by wagon and settled in this county for the remainder of their lives.
      The idea about hiring a train car for the families mentioned above is intriguing. The above family could have very well traveled by the way of rail.

      Scott, John Willis Lee and his family left DeKalb Co (his property on the Jackson/DeKalb county line)left their home between 1908-1910. This family did travel by train and brought his wagon with the mules. Everyone made the trip without mishap except the father. As he got the mules & wagon off the rail car, the train blew the whistle and the mules became skittish and JWLS fell and the wagon rolled over his head. He lost an ear. Can you imagine? This family did what was suggested in an earlier Email. They went to Callahan County where many DeKalb County AL families had migrated. By studying the 1900-1910 census records, the surnames are very familiar.

      *See article "Early Allison Family Migrations from North Carolina to Texas" Texas State Genealogical Society Quarterly, "Stirpes" December 2009, Vol 49 No 4 p 41.
      by Ann Carlton Oppenheimer