Train to Texas

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2011
      The Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built between 1852 and 1857. It ran from Stevenson, Fackler, Bellefonte Station (now Hollywood), Scottsboro, Larkinsville, Limrock, Stevens Gap, Woodville and Paint Rock in Jackson County. Another line connected to Chattanooga through Bridgeport. From Paint Rock the line ran west through Huntsville, Decatur, Tuscumbia AL, Cornith MS to Memphis TN to Little Rock AR, from there branches ran SW into Texas and NNW into the NE Indian Territory into Kansas.

      Google: Scottsboro Depot Museum. And Memphis and Charleston Railroad Map for more info.

      You could buy a ticket for $10.00 and freight was cheap.

      I have read old newspaper accounts of the local trains in Jackson County stopping to allow passengers to shoot turkeys along the tracks so I guess the schedule was not exactly written in stone.

    • Ann B. Chambless
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2011
        On 8/17/2011 11:45 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

        > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built between 1852 and 1857.
        > It ran from Stevenson, Fackler, Bellefonte Station (now Hollywood),
        > Scottsboro, Larkinsville, Limrock, Stevens Gap, Woodville and Paint
        > Rock in Jackson County. Another line connected to Chattanooga through
        > Bridgeport. From Paint Rock the line ran west through Huntsville,
        > Decatur, Tuscumbia AL, Cornith MS to Memphis TN to Little Rock AR,
        > from there branches ran SW into Texas and NNW into the NE Indian
        > Territory into Kansas.
        >
        > Google: Scottsboro Depot Museum. And Memphis and Charleston Railroad
        > Map for more info.
        >
        > To add a little to what Clay has shared: I have seen M&CRR ads in
        > the Jackson County newspapers advertising specially priced tickets for
        > travel to Texas. Your ancestors could have boarded the M&CRR at any
        > of the points listed above by Clay. The steam engine trains had to
        > stop every ten miles to take on water. At times the water tanks were
        > not adjacent to the depots and required extra stops between depots.
        > Such was the case for Scottsboro. The water tank was located 2 miles
        > west of the Scottsboro Depot. The water tank at Woodville was almost
        > a mile from the depot. Despite the frequent stops, steam engine train
        > travel time was still shorter and safer than travel by horse and
        > wagon. Some of my family boarded the train in Scottsboro in the
        > early 1900s, and it took them 3 days and 3 nights of travel to reach
        > their destination in Texas. However, when you compare 3 days to 3
        > months travel by wagon, the train ticket was a cheap and convenient
        > means of transportation.
        Ann B. Chambless

      • billy hill
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2011
          thanks to all of you for the information. i missed so much of my family history and i am very distressed that it is lost. every little bit counts. thanks again billy hill

          On 8/17/2011 11:45 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

          > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built between 1852 and 1857.
          > It ran from Stevenson, Fackler, Bellefonte Station (now Hollywood),
          > Scottsboro, Larkinsville, Limrock, Stevens Gap, Woodville and Paint
          > Rock in Jackson County. Another line connected to Chattanooga through
          > Bridgeport. From Paint Rock the line ran west through Huntsville,
          > Decatur, Tuscumbia AL, Cornith MS to Memphis TN to Little Rock AR,
          > from there branches ran SW into Texas and NNW into the NE Indian
          > Territory into Kansas.
          >
          > Google: Scottsboro Depot Museum. And Memphis and Charleston Railroad
          > Map for more info.
          >
          > To add a little to what Clay has shared: I have seen M&CRR ads in
          > the Jackson County newspapers advertising specially priced tickets for
          > travel to Texas. Your ancestors could have boarded the M&CRR at any
          > of the points listed above by Clay. The steam engine trains had to
          > stop every ten miles to take on water. At times the water tanks were
          > not adjacent to the depots and required extra stops between depots.
          > Such was the case for Scottsboro. The water tank was located 2 miles
          > west of the Scottsboro Depot. The water tank at Woodville was almost
          > a mile from the depot. Despite the frequent stops, steam engine train
          > travel time was still shorter and safer than travel by horse and
          > wagon. Some of my family boarded the train in Scottsboro in the
          > early 1900s, and it took them 3 days and 3 nights of travel to reach
          > their destination in Texas. However, when you compare 3 days to 3
          > months travel by wagon, the train ticket was a cheap and convenient
          > means of transportation.
          Ann B. Chambless

        • clyde broadway
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2011
            Billy,

            Not going to be any help with genealogy, but did you once live in Scottsboro---on or near Market Street? (when you were very young)?

            Clyde Broadway
            Scottsboro
            thanks to all of you for the information. i missed so much of my family history and i am very distressed that it is lost. every little bit counts. thanks again billy hill

            On 8/17/2011 11:45 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

            > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built between 1852 and 1857.
            > It ran from Stevenson, Fackler, Bellefonte Station (now Hollywood),
            > Scottsboro, Larkinsville, Limrock, Stevens Gap, Woodville and Paint
            > Rock in Jackson County. Another line connected to Chattanooga through
            > Bridgeport. From Paint Rock the line ran west through Huntsville,
            > Decatur, Tuscumbia AL, Cornith MS to Memphis TN to Little Rock AR,
            > from there branches ran SW into Texas and NNW into the NE Indian
            > Territory into Kansas.
            >
            > Google: Scottsboro Depot Museum. And Memphis and Charleston Railroad
            > Map for more info.
            >
            > To add a little to what Clay has shared: I have seen M&CRR ads in
            > the Jackson County newspapers advertising specially priced tickets for
            > travel to Texas. Your ancestors could have boarded the M&CRR at any
            > of the points listed above by Clay. The steam engine trains had to
            > stop every ten miles to take on water. At times the water tanks were
            > not adjacent to the depots and required extra stops between depots.
            > Such was the case for Scottsboro. The water tank was located 2 miles
            > west of the Scottsboro Depot. The water tank at Woodville was almost
            > a mile from the depot. Despite the frequent stops, steam engine train
            > travel time was still shorter and safer than travel by horse and
            > wagon. Some of my family boarded the train in Scottsboro in the
            > early 1900s, and it took them 3 days and 3 nights of travel to reach
            > their destination in Texas. However, when you compare 3 days to 3
            > months travel by wagon, the train ticket was a cheap and convenient
            > means of transportation.
            Ann B. Chambless

          • billy hill
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2011
              no sorry clyde it wasnt me. ive only lived in texas. my family moved from jackson county in 1912. billy hill

              Not going to be any help with genealogy, but did you once live in Scottsboro---on or near Market Street? (when you were very young)?

              Clyde Broadway
              Scottsboro
              thanks to all of you for the information. i missed so much of my family history and i am very distressed that it is lost. every little bit counts. thanks again billy hill

              On 8/17/2011 11:45 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

              > The Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built between 1852 and 1857.
              > It ran from Stevenson, Fackler, Bellefonte Station (now Hollywood),
              > Scottsboro, Larkinsville, Limrock, Stevens Gap, Woodville and Paint
              > Rock in Jackson County. Another line connected to Chattanooga through
              > Bridgeport. From Paint Rock the line ran west through Huntsville,
              > Decatur, Tuscumbia AL, Cornith MS to Memphis TN to Little Rock AR,
              > from there branches ran SW into Texas and NNW into the NE Indian
              > Territory into Kansas.
              >
              > Google: Scottsboro Depot Museum. And Memphis and Charleston Railroad
              > Map for more info.
              >
              > To add a little to what Clay has shared: I have seen M&CRR ads in
              > the Jackson County newspapers advertising specially priced tickets for
              > travel to Texas. Your ancestors could have boarded the M&CRR at any
              > of the points listed above by Clay. The steam engine trains had to
              > stop every ten miles to take on water. At times the water tanks were
              > not adjacent to the depots and required extra stops between depots.
              > Such was the case for Scottsboro. The water tank was located 2 miles
              > west of the Scottsboro Depot. The water tank at Woodville was almost
              > a mile from the depot. Despite the frequent stops, steam engine train
              > travel time was still shorter and safer than travel by horse and
              > wagon. Some of my family boarded the train in Scottsboro in the
              > early 1900s, and it took them 3 days and 3 nights of travel to reach
              > their destination in Texas. However, when you compare 3 days to 3
              > months travel by wagon, the train ticket was a cheap and convenient
              > means of transportation.
              Ann B. Chambless