train to texas

  • billy hill
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15 8:17 PM
      in 1912 the john hill family left jackson county for montague county, texas. i know they left from somewhere near paint rock and drove wagons to the tennessee river where they loaded their wagons on some kind of river craft and traveled down river. my question is where did they board the train for texas? scottsboro? no one in the family is left to tell the story.i hope someone in the group can make a good guess. thanks billy hill

    • Arvinell McClaren
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17 5:30 AM
        Ambrose and Mary B. Tinney (my great-grandparents) moved to Texas in 1886 by train from Jackson County, Alabama with five children, some furniture,and some livestock. I would like to know more about where they could have embarked. One theory has been that they got on a train in Huntsville. Sounds like a long way to go. I look forward to other responses.

        Arvinell

      • Vicki L Hill
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17 7:30 AM
          I can't speak directly to the issue of going by train to Texas from Jackson
          County. (My Jackson County ancestors did the same about the same time, but
          they went alone to Denton County, where my great-grandmother's uncle had
          already settled.) But I can tell you a bit about the trains to Texas, for my
          northern Georgia relatives did the same in 1901. My great-great-grandfather
          leased a railroad car and then sold tickets to his relatives and friends. It
          may have been publicized locally via papers or fliers, for it was known as
          the Holland Expedition. (His surname was Holland.) They filled up a complete
          car, then moved en masse from Hall County, Texas to Rusk County, Texas. With
          a leased railway car, they could hook onto most any train going the
          direction they wanted to go.

          So if you are trying to figure out how your families moved from north
          Alabama to Texas, you may want to look at where they settled in Texas, then
          who bought the land within a few miles from them. You may find some other
          Jackson County families - related, or just friends - who moved with them at
          the same time.

          Vicki Hill

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17 7:33 AM
            The only data point I can offer is that when some of my relatives moved from Jackson County AL to Van Zandt County TX in 1872 -1873. They travelled by wagon to Little Rock AR and boarded a train there for the rest of the trip. They may have settled in AR for a year or so, but I don't have info to determine that. This was the Jasper McCOLLUM family.

            John McCollum Green
            On Aug 17, 2011, at 7:30 AM, Arvinell McClaren wrote:

            > Ambrose and Mary B. Tinney (my great-grandparents) moved to Texas in 1886 by train from Jackson County, Alabama with five children, some furniture,and some livestock. I would like to know more about where they could have embarked. One theory has been that they got on a train in Huntsville. Sounds like a long way to go. I look forward to other responses.
            >
            > Arvinell

          • Cindy Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17 8:45 AM
              My great great grandparents John and Martha Holdridge moved to East Texas, Mt. Pleasant, Titus Co., about 1904. They moved on the train, except those who moved the stock. They went to Larkin's Landing and had to cross the Tennessee River on the ferry. They later moved to Comanche County, Texas.

              Cindy

              To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
              From: dragonriders@...
              Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:33:58 -0500
              Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: train to texas

              The only data point I can offer is that when some of my relatives moved from Jackson County AL to Van Zandt County TX in 1872 -1873. They travelled by wagon to Little Rock AR and boarded a train there for the rest of the trip. They may have settled in AR for a year or so, but I don't have info to determine that. This was the Jasper McCOLLUM family.

              John McCollum Green

            • David Malbuff
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18 3:28 PM
                >Posted by: "Cindy Smith" cindysmith9@... cindysmith1207
                >    Date: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 am ((PDT))

                >My great great grandparents John and Martha Holdridge moved to East Texas, Mt. >Pleasant, Titus Co., about 1904. They moved on the train, except those who moved the >stock. They went to Larkin's Landing and had to cross the Tennessee River on the ferry. >They later moved to Comanche County, Texas.

                Cindy, my Stephens 3x-great grandparents went to Titus county in the 1850s. There is a John B Stephens lake and dam named after a grandson of theirs (first sheriff in Mt Pleasant). A son, Dr Thomas Stephens, helped found the free black settlement of Evergreen after the war.

                Have you ever been there?

                Glory to God,

                David Malbuff
                Strasburg, Virginia

              • Cindy Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20 11:34 AM
                  I have not been to Titus Co. I would like to go and do research sometime and try to figure out why my some of my Holdridge family went there before going on to Comanche Co. I would like to research the Coley family there, to see if that family was related to John Holdridge's mother Edie Coley. I no longer live in Texas, so I might not ever get back there. You can contact me offlist if you want to discuss more about Titus Co. Cindy cindysmith9@...
                  To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  From: malbuff@...
                  Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:28:11 -0700
                  Subject: [jacksongenealogy] RE: train to texas