Re: [jacksongenealogy] John Charles Johnson was son of BERRY and LUCY (BLAYLOCK) JOHNSON

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
      I don't have any information about James and Mary Ann (Anderson) Green. The only John I found on the 1850 was the John with Berry Johnson, I'm sorry.

      1870 Jackson County, AL Big Coon

      HH # 311-315

      Catherine Anderson 34 TN widow of Horatio

      Julia A. 15 AL

      Frances K. 13 AL

      Thomas (James) 11 AL

      John B. 9 AL

      Ellen 7 AL (Sarah Ellen)

      Alexander 5 AL (Horatio Alexander), Jr.

      June 2, 1870 Jackson County, AL

      Big Coon

      (next door to her step-mother Catherine (Williams) Anderson)

      HH #312-316

      Mary Prince 44 NC Mary Anderson -widow of Thomas R. Prince

      William 18 AL

      Nancy 16 AL

      1870 June 2nd Big Coon

      (next door to her step-mother Catherine (Williams) Anderson

      HH #313-317

      Martha Johnson 35 AL Martha Anderson)

      Wm. J. 18 AL

      Elizabeth E. 16 AL (Elizabeth Elvy)

      Malinda C. 14 AL (Malinda California)

      F. 9 AL (Mary Frances)

      Milton G. 6 AL

      James M. 4 AL

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
        Jimmie

        The marriage index has them this way;
        J. M. Johnson m. M. J. Darson 20 Mar 1851 JOP Joseph Wilson
        I think it should be M. J. Anderson.

        It looks like she is the dau of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson both b. 1804 NC on the 1850 Jackson Co. Census. Martha was indexed as Martha L. but I read it as Martha J.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
          Thanks Clay, that helps a lot, I suppose these 22 family files must have just copied it... I will correct my ancestry to reflect the proper marriage - thanks again for all the help and guidance, it is always of great help to fix something that others may copy. And also thanks to Jewel for always having that "piece" of missing information.

          Jimmie

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
            No need to apologies, you are a treasure of information and guidance; you
            have cleared up a great mystery - it always leads to a break in that brick
            wall, at least for me.

            We also now know that Cora P was a Shelton, another branch of our Shelton
            line! This was a very small town in deed.

            Jimmie

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
              Bunch of Greens in Paint Rock Valley. John Green wrote several things about them
              in the Jackson County Chronicles  a year or two ago. The old home place is at
              Francisco, right where the road turns right to go into Tennessee.
              Greens still live in the valley. Laverl used to rebuild wrecked automobiles. his
              son teaches up at the Pruitt technical school at Hollywood.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
                We went to Scottsboro years ago and looked at the marriages and wrote so many off because we couldn't afford to make copies of oh so many marriages!!! We saw this marriage as J.M. Johnson to M.J. Anderson. Now, when Jackson County, Alabama Marriage Records 1851-1856 came out in 1991 by Rhonda G. Smith Cooper we bought it. She saw it as J.M. Johnson to M.J. Derson or else it was a typo. Those marriages were as all marriage records were very, very hard to read unless you knew who you were looking for and sometimes that made it a little more easier to decipher. However, I could still be very wrong. Please forgive me if that has happened.

                Jewel

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                  I don't think you are wrong Jewel, Derson and Anderson is very similar in sound and if someone did not really know how to read or write it would be sounded out and would come out like this. I have seen this before, and yes these old records are hard to read, and sometimes the name just comes out as the "recorder" believed it sounded. I think you are right with the M J Anderson, especially since several family members also have this date of marriage. I have left it as such, and the Anderson family has sure added more questions to my database then answers, yet I have connected four more lines of my Alabama family to the Texas family, and I still am continuing with John Sanders, who seems to have more descendants then most... Still wish I could find more out about Gillie Yarbrough, it just seems odd she came out of nowhere and you cannot find anything but the marriage record, yet no family - I wonder if she is also someone married between, and this is yet another married name.

                  As for Eliza Sanders it appears there are many problems with some of the family tree's on her, especially the two stories being the child of John Anderson and not her second husband, the only problem with the story is that John Anderson died before 1860, way before was born, and the child was born after her second marriage - so there are continuing issues with this section of my Sanders clan, yet I have just accepted that the Mashburn just left his children with the grandparents, and went back to North Carolina and married and started a new family in Oklahoma. I still is somewhat odd that he left his aged mother and the children, yet in that time period anything seem to go. My only other questions on the Mashburn children is, are the two younger one's really Sanders instead of how they are enumerated. I have seen many times that if someone remarries bring an older child into the household and have a few more children the census taker seems to place the "surname" of the other child on the new children of the present union, does anyone know if these younger Mashburn children are really Mashburn? As the family tells only one child was created by this union.

                  Once more Jewel, you were of great help - and you gave me a volume of information as always to keep me busy for the next few months on this section alone.

                  Jimmie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                    Yes Jimmie, I would also like to find out more about the YARBROUGH family. You lost me in the 2nd paragraph but that's ok. I usually stay lost. Maybe my notes on this 1880 Jackson County, AL census will help you with John & Gilly A. Sanders and their grandkids. Maybe this will clear up some maiden names???

                    1880 Jackson County, AL

                    Page 78C #105

                    John Sanders 58 NC

                    Gilley 45 AL

                    Isaac (Sherman) 14 AL son of John & Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                    Nancy (C.) 11 AL daughter of John 7 Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                    Charles 9 AL son of John 7 Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                    Martha S.(Susan) 7 AL daughter of John & Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                    Alabama 3 AL (Gilly Alabama married Oliver Posey)

                    Gilley Ellen Mashburn 11 AL dau of Mathew & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn

                    Benjamin Mashburn 5 AL son of Mathew & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn

                    Isaac Mashburn (Anderson) 2 AL son of Jerry Clemons Anderson & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn Humphrey, raised as Isaac Humphrey, however on this census he is listed as ANDERSON

                    By 1880 Eliza Jane (Sander) and both husband Mathew Mashburn and J.J. Humphries is believed to be deceased.

                    Eliza Jane SANDERS born 1846 was a daughter of John & Charlotte (Brannon) SANDERS

                    Jerry Clemons ANDERSON born 1852 was a son of John & Gilly Ann (Yarbrough) ANDERSON

                    Eliza Jane Sanders was Jerry’s step-sister.

                    Mathew Mashburn to Eliza Jane Sanders 1 June 1869, Jackson County, Al

                    (Mathew Mashburn may have died)

                    Eliza Jane Mashburn to J.J. Humphries 13 Sept. 1874 Jackson County, AL at John Sanders house

                    Latham Cemetery on Guess' Creek Road, near Princeton, Jackson County, AL

                    Isaac Clemmons Humphreys Jan 15, 1878-April 20, 1927

                    Lula J. Cox Humphreys May 21, 1880- July 9, 1952

                    (Lula J. is a probable daughter of:

                    John M.(10/27/1861-3/4/1939 &

                    Manerva E. Cox (10/10/1861-12/16/1923. They are buried near Isaac and Lula J.

                    **Gillie Alabama Sanders born 9 Nov. 1876-died 2 Feb 1948-married Oliver Posey on 4 Feb 1892; Beech Grove Cemetery, Francisco, Jackson County, Alabama

                    John C. Posey Feb 3, 1898-Oct. 19, 1979 buried close to Gillie Alabama (Sanders) Posey

                    CHILDREN of John and Gilly Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson Sanders

                    1. Isaac Sherman Sanders, born April 1866, Jackson County, AL-married April 24, 1887 to Martha Jane Cornelison

                    2. Nancy C. Sanders, born July 1870 Jackson County, AL-married 22 March, 1883 to Richard B. Hill

                    3. Charles Sanders-born about 1871, Jackson County, AL

                    4. Martha Susan Sanders-born about 1873 Jackson County, AL

                    5. Gilley Alabama Sanders-born 9 Nov. 1876, Jackson County, AL-died 2 Feb. 1948, Jackson County, AL-married 4 Feb 1892 to Oliver Posey