John Charles Johnson was son of BERRY and LUCY (BLAYLOCK) JOHNSON

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
      The following information appears on a sign at the Berry Johnson grave
      site in the Mount Carmel Cemetery (near Bridgeport, AL) for the family
      of Berry and Lucy (Blaylock) Johnson:
      Berry Johnson 8-2-1794 10-10-1855 husband of Lucy
      Blaylock Johnson
      Pvt. Co. K.
      Ala. Mtd. Vol. Indian Wars
      1st Cousin of
      President Andrew Johnson (Authenic)
      Charles A. "Charlie" Johnson 1860 1939
      Eva B. Parton Johnson 12-13-1895 2-12-1963
      Grace Johnson 7-3-1922 5-10-1992 wife of Nathan
      N. Johnson
      Harry C. Johnson 1890 1943
      Hattie Lyda Johnson 6-28-1879 11-30-1940 wife of William
      Byrd Johnson
      James A. Johnson 1835 1835
      Joe Johnson 5-9-1901 11-4-1985
      Johnnie J. "Jack" Johnson 5-5-1927 8-25-1974
      Karen Michelle Johnson 9-27-1969 12-25-1969
      Nathan N. Johnson 4-27-1913 12-7-1973 husband of Grace
      Johnson
      Lou Terry Johnson 11-14-1895 3-17-1964
      Lucy Blaylock Johnson 3-12-1802 11-30-1884 wife of Berry
      Johnson
      Children: (sign at Berry Johnson grave has children, and marriage
      information)
      (birthdates and death dates come from the book "The Heritage of
      Jackson County Alabama")
      born 3-1822, died 1840-- Martha Andrews Johnson married John
      Vance 1837
      born 12-26-1826, died 1872-- Sarah Brazier Johnson married
      William Arendale 1843
      married 2nd William Moore
      born 9-8-1828, died 1887-- Rebecca Troublefield Johnson married
      James W. Hembree 1855
      _born 3-7-1833, died 1897-- John Charles Johnson married Sarah A.
      Morrow 1854_
      born 10-10-1836, died 1895-- Isaac Newton Johnson married Martha
      "Mattie" Bacon 1868
      born 3-18-1840, died 1863-- Frances Elizabeth Johnson married
      Calvin Melton 1855
      born 9-27-1843, died 1921-- Lucy Virginia Johnson married W. James
      Hughes 1875
      born 2-6-1846, no date on death--Gila "Gillie" Alabama Johnson
      married Henry Morris 1879
      born 2-16-1849, died 1929-- Malinda Louise "M.L." Tennessee Johnson
      married Alexander Cicero
      "A.C." Loyd 1867.

      Ann B. Chambless

    • Jimmie Ryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
        Thanks Jewel and Clay for the information I do so appreciate the
        clarification and information, this will expand my Brazier information. We
        still have the question as to John Martin's wife, so it Martha Anderson, and
        not Martha Green daughter of James Green and Mary Ann Anderson?

        Jimmie

        Here are our prospects:

        1860 United States Federal Census about California Johnson

        Age in 1860: 4
        Birth Year: abt 1856
        Birthplace: Alabama
        Home in 1860: Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
        Gender: Female
        Post Office: Paint Rock

        Household:

        Martin Johnson 27 b AL
        Martha Johnson 24 b AL (maiden name Anderson? Not Green?)
        Wm Johnson 8
        Elry Johnson 6
        California Johnson 4

        1860 United States Federal Census about California Johnson

        Age in 1860: 9
        Birth Year: abt 1851
        Birthplace: Alabama
        Home in 1860: Oldtown, Dallas, Alabama
        Gender: Female
        Post Office: Benton and Selma

        Household:

        W W Johnson 56 b NC
        S Johnson 52 b NC
        N R Johnson 27
        Sarah Johnson 22
        Margaret Johnson 20
        Amanda Johnson 18
        Henry W Johnson 14
        Dora A Johnson 11
        California Johnson 9

        1860 United States Federal Census about C Johnson

        Age in 1860: 3
        Birth Year: abt 1857
        Birthplace: Alabama
        Home in 1860: Southern Division, Coosa, Alabama
        Race: White
        Gender: Female
        Post Office: Rockford

        Household:

        G Johnson 69 b SC
        M A Johnson 30 b GA
        J Johnson 18
        Henry C Johnson 16
        J Johnson 14
        C Johnson 3
        R Johnson 6/12
        J C Childers 9
        B F Griffen 21

        1870 United States Federal Census

        Name: California Johnson
        Birth Year: abt 1854
        Age in 1870: 16
        Birthplace: Alabama
        Home in 1870: Pine Flat, Dallas, Alabama
        Race: White
        Gender: Female

        Household:

        Henry Johnson 66 b NC
        Sophia Johnson 61 b NC
        Nancy Johnson 41
        Margaret Johnson 32
        Dora Johnson 21
        California Johnson 16
        Alice Bowden 15
        Bennet Bowden 13
        Alphean Bowden 11
        Virginia Bowden 9
        Henry Bowden 7
      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
          I don't have any information about James and Mary Ann (Anderson) Green. The only John I found on the 1850 was the John with Berry Johnson, I'm sorry.

          1870 Jackson County, AL Big Coon

          HH # 311-315

          Catherine Anderson 34 TN widow of Horatio

          Julia A. 15 AL

          Frances K. 13 AL

          Thomas (James) 11 AL

          John B. 9 AL

          Ellen 7 AL (Sarah Ellen)

          Alexander 5 AL (Horatio Alexander), Jr.

          June 2, 1870 Jackson County, AL

          Big Coon

          (next door to her step-mother Catherine (Williams) Anderson)

          HH #312-316

          Mary Prince 44 NC Mary Anderson -widow of Thomas R. Prince

          William 18 AL

          Nancy 16 AL

          1870 June 2nd Big Coon

          (next door to her step-mother Catherine (Williams) Anderson

          HH #313-317

          Martha Johnson 35 AL Martha Anderson)

          Wm. J. 18 AL

          Elizabeth E. 16 AL (Elizabeth Elvy)

          Malinda C. 14 AL (Malinda California)

          F. 9 AL (Mary Frances)

          Milton G. 6 AL

          James M. 4 AL

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
            Jimmie

            The marriage index has them this way;
            J. M. Johnson m. M. J. Darson 20 Mar 1851 JOP Joseph Wilson
            I think it should be M. J. Anderson.

            It looks like she is the dau of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson both b. 1804 NC on the 1850 Jackson Co. Census. Martha was indexed as Martha L. but I read it as Martha J.

            Clay

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
              Thanks Clay, that helps a lot, I suppose these 22 family files must have just copied it... I will correct my ancestry to reflect the proper marriage - thanks again for all the help and guidance, it is always of great help to fix something that others may copy. And also thanks to Jewel for always having that "piece" of missing information.

              Jimmie

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
                No need to apologies, you are a treasure of information and guidance; you
                have cleared up a great mystery - it always leads to a break in that brick
                wall, at least for me.

                We also now know that Cora P was a Shelton, another branch of our Shelton
                line! This was a very small town in deed.

                Jimmie

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 13, 2011
                  Bunch of Greens in Paint Rock Valley. John Green wrote several things about them
                  in the Jackson County Chronicles  a year or two ago. The old home place is at
                  Francisco, right where the road turns right to go into Tennessee.
                  Greens still live in the valley. Laverl used to rebuild wrecked automobiles. his
                  son teaches up at the Pruitt technical school at Hollywood.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 14, 2011
                    We went to Scottsboro years ago and looked at the marriages and wrote so many off because we couldn't afford to make copies of oh so many marriages!!! We saw this marriage as J.M. Johnson to M.J. Anderson. Now, when Jackson County, Alabama Marriage Records 1851-1856 came out in 1991 by Rhonda G. Smith Cooper we bought it. She saw it as J.M. Johnson to M.J. Derson or else it was a typo. Those marriages were as all marriage records were very, very hard to read unless you knew who you were looking for and sometimes that made it a little more easier to decipher. However, I could still be very wrong. Please forgive me if that has happened.

                    Jewel

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                      I don't think you are wrong Jewel, Derson and Anderson is very similar in sound and if someone did not really know how to read or write it would be sounded out and would come out like this. I have seen this before, and yes these old records are hard to read, and sometimes the name just comes out as the "recorder" believed it sounded. I think you are right with the M J Anderson, especially since several family members also have this date of marriage. I have left it as such, and the Anderson family has sure added more questions to my database then answers, yet I have connected four more lines of my Alabama family to the Texas family, and I still am continuing with John Sanders, who seems to have more descendants then most... Still wish I could find more out about Gillie Yarbrough, it just seems odd she came out of nowhere and you cannot find anything but the marriage record, yet no family - I wonder if she is also someone married between, and this is yet another married name.

                      As for Eliza Sanders it appears there are many problems with some of the family tree's on her, especially the two stories being the child of John Anderson and not her second husband, the only problem with the story is that John Anderson died before 1860, way before was born, and the child was born after her second marriage - so there are continuing issues with this section of my Sanders clan, yet I have just accepted that the Mashburn just left his children with the grandparents, and went back to North Carolina and married and started a new family in Oklahoma. I still is somewhat odd that he left his aged mother and the children, yet in that time period anything seem to go. My only other questions on the Mashburn children is, are the two younger one's really Sanders instead of how they are enumerated. I have seen many times that if someone remarries bring an older child into the household and have a few more children the census taker seems to place the "surname" of the other child on the new children of the present union, does anyone know if these younger Mashburn children are really Mashburn? As the family tells only one child was created by this union.

                      Once more Jewel, you were of great help - and you gave me a volume of information as always to keep me busy for the next few months on this section alone.

                      Jimmie

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                        Yes Jimmie, I would also like to find out more about the YARBROUGH family. You lost me in the 2nd paragraph but that's ok. I usually stay lost. Maybe my notes on this 1880 Jackson County, AL census will help you with John & Gilly A. Sanders and their grandkids. Maybe this will clear up some maiden names???

                        1880 Jackson County, AL

                        Page 78C #105

                        John Sanders 58 NC

                        Gilley 45 AL

                        Isaac (Sherman) 14 AL son of John & Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                        Nancy (C.) 11 AL daughter of John 7 Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                        Charles 9 AL son of John 7 Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                        Martha S.(Susan) 7 AL daughter of John & Gilly (Yarbrough) Sanders

                        Alabama 3 AL (Gilly Alabama married Oliver Posey)

                        Gilley Ellen Mashburn 11 AL dau of Mathew & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn

                        Benjamin Mashburn 5 AL son of Mathew & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn

                        Isaac Mashburn (Anderson) 2 AL son of Jerry Clemons Anderson & Eliza Jane (Sanders) Mashburn Humphrey, raised as Isaac Humphrey, however on this census he is listed as ANDERSON

                        By 1880 Eliza Jane (Sander) and both husband Mathew Mashburn and J.J. Humphries is believed to be deceased.

                        Eliza Jane SANDERS born 1846 was a daughter of John & Charlotte (Brannon) SANDERS

                        Jerry Clemons ANDERSON born 1852 was a son of John & Gilly Ann (Yarbrough) ANDERSON

                        Eliza Jane Sanders was Jerry’s step-sister.

                        Mathew Mashburn to Eliza Jane Sanders 1 June 1869, Jackson County, Al

                        (Mathew Mashburn may have died)

                        Eliza Jane Mashburn to J.J. Humphries 13 Sept. 1874 Jackson County, AL at John Sanders house

                        Latham Cemetery on Guess' Creek Road, near Princeton, Jackson County, AL

                        Isaac Clemmons Humphreys Jan 15, 1878-April 20, 1927

                        Lula J. Cox Humphreys May 21, 1880- July 9, 1952

                        (Lula J. is a probable daughter of:

                        John M.(10/27/1861-3/4/1939 &

                        Manerva E. Cox (10/10/1861-12/16/1923. They are buried near Isaac and Lula J.

                        **Gillie Alabama Sanders born 9 Nov. 1876-died 2 Feb 1948-married Oliver Posey on 4 Feb 1892; Beech Grove Cemetery, Francisco, Jackson County, Alabama

                        John C. Posey Feb 3, 1898-Oct. 19, 1979 buried close to Gillie Alabama (Sanders) Posey

                        CHILDREN of John and Gilly Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson Sanders

                        1. Isaac Sherman Sanders, born April 1866, Jackson County, AL-married April 24, 1887 to Martha Jane Cornelison

                        2. Nancy C. Sanders, born July 1870 Jackson County, AL-married 22 March, 1883 to Richard B. Hill

                        3. Charles Sanders-born about 1871, Jackson County, AL

                        4. Martha Susan Sanders-born about 1873 Jackson County, AL

                        5. Gilley Alabama Sanders-born 9 Nov. 1876, Jackson County, AL-died 2 Feb. 1948, Jackson County, AL-married 4 Feb 1892 to Oliver Posey