Re: Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats

  • Janet Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 6:57 PM
      I have uploaded four of these plats to an album on this site that I called EarlyLandOwnershipPlats. I believe these are the first maps that were produced by the government surveyors after the land was opened to white settlers. The basic information is the same as what you can find on http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/, but shown as a map not a patent certificate, etc. so you can see how neighbors are grouped.
      The maps are based on the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) of Township and Range. To see a particular towniship and range in northern Alabama, look at http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/MapLSIS.jsp

      These maps are not easy to study, but they are a gold mine! Thanks for the information, Clay.

      Janet Wright