Re: [jacksongenealogy] Hill - Sellers families of Jackson Co., AL

  • Patty Gamble
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2011
      Dear new-found Hill family and friends, Thank you so much for your answers to my request for help on my Hill ancestors. I had no idea that I would receive such prompt and informative answers from you, and I truly thank you. Since 1970, I have gathered mountains of information in research of information on Hills in N.Car., Tenn., and Alabama; I still am hitting that brick wall along with everyone else, and I can tell you this I have found: There are more HILLS than hills in every blasted state, and many with the same given names! Frustrating, isn’t it. When I was a child, I listened to my grandmother, and my aunt, tell about their visits back to the Bridgeport area to visit her husband’s relatives, and all I remember is their telling about visiting a cave! Later on, when I was in high school, I would visit her for a week in the summer, and would learn a little more about my grandfather, her husband who had died young, when my father was only age ten. I also have researched the Thomas and Allen names, to try to find a Hill wife’s link, knowing that the first, or usually the second son carried the wife’s family name. I, too, have seen the Nancy Stephens name on the internet, but I have seen no proof. My father’s name was Allen, son of Thomas Allen Hill b 1875, son of Thomas Jefferson Hill b 1836 md Judith Ann Sellers. I used to correspond with Billy Hill—he was a good man, and we shared a lot of our research.
      I am glad to have found this research link, and I thank you again. ---Patty G.

      From: Patty Gamble <mailto:Patty.gamb%40att.net>
      To: mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, May 30, 2011, 2:36 PM

      Hi! I am new to this site, and could use some help, please. For years I have been trying to find more information about Thomas Allen Hill, b 1808 in Tenn., and reared a family in Jackson Co., AL. Does anyone know the name of his wife/wives, or his parents? By 1830, land records show him listed east 4th range, and census records show him with a wife named Nancy. I do not know if she is his first wife, or not. The family lived in Bridgeport by 1870. (There was also a Thomas Hill family in the western part of the county.) I descend from Thomas Jefferson Hill, b 12 March 1836, md Judith Ann/Juda Sellers ca 1855. I do not know exact date—the person at the Co. Courthouse with whom I talked several years ago, told me that the Union army used the missing court records to start fires and as toilet paper. Then I read on the internet that the Union army found the papers already scattered when they arrived.

      Judith/Juda Sellers was born 11 Nov. 1832 in Jackson Co. AL, and d 31 July 1916 in Silo, near Durant, OK. Both Thomas J. Hill and Judith Sellers are buried in Highland Cemetery in Durant (Bryan) OK. Speaking of which, I found your subject of monuments interesting—My son and I found Thomas J. Hill’s monument has fallen over, and my son paid a man at the monument works there to fix it, and several others that had been damaged by lawn mowing. There were always excuses why it never got done, so after a year and a half my son got his money back. The monuments are still damaged, and does anyone have any experience with problems like that? Juda Sellers was the daughter of Young Sellers, and her mother was called “Sallie.” Young Sellers was b ca 1789 in N.Car., and his father has not been definitely proved, to my knowledge. There are a number of possibilities, but I have not seen any proof.

      Thanks for any help or suggestions you might be able to add. ---Patty G. mailto:Patty.gamb%40att.net

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
        Can anyone tell me who the parents were of Willard and Grady JAMES was and
        also who was the parents of William "Bud" MCCRARY? I am thinking that these
        three were half brothers and were related to me through my GOLD line. I
        thought I had this all down somewhere but can't seem to find it.

        Thanks

      • Regina Pipes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
          Just found some of the information I needed. Willard and Grady were the
          sons of Lilly West ( I think her mother was a GOLD) and Arthur JAMES. I
          think there were some girls in this family also, After Arthur died I think
          Lilly married a McCrary. I think they were the parents of Polly and Bud
          McCrary.

          Still searching

          Regina

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
            1910 Larkinsville JC AL
            Arthur James Head 21 mar.once 0yrs TN TN TN
            Lillie Wife 20 mar.once 0yrs AL AL AL

            Didn't find a marriage record or any death records so no maiden name..

            1920 Winniger JC AL
            Lily James 30 WD
            Willard Son 9
            Grady Son 6
            Mabel Dau 4
            Louisa Dau 1

            Lillie James m. William McCory 21 Oct 1920 Hollywood, JC AL

            Found nothing on McCrays/McCorys.

            Found nothing of them on the 1930 Jackson Co.

            Clay

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
              Lilly P. West was dau of Thomas N. West and Mary E. Gold who m. 19 Sept 1889.

              1900 Limrock JC AL
              Thomas West Head Apr 1868 32 mar.12yrs
              Mary E. Wife Dec 1869 30 mar.12yrs 6child/4living
              Lilly P. Dau Jun 1890 10
              Fanny A. Dau Sept 1893 6
              Mary A. Apr 1896 6
              John K. Aug 1899 9months

              Clay

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                Lilly James had Willard James married to Alma Burrow
                Grady James married Rhoda Burrow, sister to above
                Lucille James married to J B Goolsby
                Mable James married to a Smart

                Lilly James married Will Mccrary
                They had Mary Velma married first to Creed Gant
                then to a Walker
                Mildred Polly married to Leonard Pete Glass
                She just passed away last week
                William Bud first married Helen Sharp
                don't know second wife
                not in my lines but were neighbors