Hill - Sellers families of Jackson Co., AL

  • Patty Gamble
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2011
      Hi! I am new to this site, and could use some help, please. For years I have been trying to find more information about Thomas Allen Hill, b 1808 in Tenn., and reared a family in Jackson Co., AL. Does anyone know the name of his wife/wives, or his parents? By 1830, land records show him listed east 4th range, and census records show him with a wife named Nancy. I do not know if she is his first wife, or not. The family lived in Bridgeport by 1870. (There was also a Thomas Hill family in the western part of the county.) I descend from Thomas Jefferson Hill, b 12 March 1836, md Judith Ann/Juda Sellers ca 1855. I do not know exact date—the person at the Co. Courthouse with whom I talked several years ago, told me that the Union army used the missing court records to start fires and as toilet paper. Then I read on the internet that the Union army found the papers already scattered when they arrived.

      Judith/Juda Sellers was born 11 Nov. 1832 in Jackson Co. AL, and d 31 July 1916 in Silo, near Durant, OK. Both Thomas J. Hill and Judith Sellers are buried in Highland Cemetery in Durant (Bryan) OK. Speaking of which, I found your subject of monuments interesting—My son and I found Thomas J. Hill’s monument has fallen over, and my son paid a man at the monument works there to fix it, and several others that had been damaged by lawn mowing. There were always excuses why it never got done, so after a year and a half my son got his money back. The monuments are still damaged, and does anyone have any experience with problems like that? Juda Sellers was the daughter of Young Sellers, and her mother was called “Sallie.” Young Sellers was b ca 1789 in N.Car., and his father has not been definitely proved, to my knowledge. There are a number of possibilities, but I have not seen any proof.

      Thanks for any help or suggestions you might be able to add. ---Patty G. Patty.gamb@...

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30, 2011
        A couple of people on Ancestry has her as Emily Nancy Stephens.

        I'm assuming you have seen this website?  They seem to claim your Hills.

        http://swinfieldhill.com/

[...]

      • Jimmie Ryan
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2011
          The website claims: Unknown maiden name for Nancy

          RELATED HILLS: WILLIAM HILL (marries Nancy Mullens/Lyons) Dickenson/Wise County VA, twins John Mack and Swinfield Hill (VA & NC), and Thomas Allen Hill (marries Nancy Unknown) TN/AL

          My Hills are from Holden, so do not have much on this line of the family. Yet if it was true and it is a Stephens, then it would could be part of Josiah Stephens line in Jackson... would be an interesting discovery just who this Emily Nancy Stephens was...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2011
            Dear new-found Hill family and friends, Thank you so much for your answers to my request for help on my Hill ancestors. I had no idea that I would receive such prompt and informative answers from you, and I truly thank you. Since 1970, I have gathered mountains of information in research of information on Hills in N.Car., Tenn., and Alabama; I still am hitting that brick wall along with everyone else, and I can tell you this I have found: There are more HILLS than hills in every blasted state, and many with the same given names! Frustrating, isn’t it. When I was a child, I listened to my grandmother, and my aunt, tell about their visits back to the Bridgeport area to visit her husband’s relatives, and all I remember is their telling about visiting a cave! Later on, when I was in high school, I would visit her for a week in the summer, and would learn a little more about my grandfather, her husband who had died young, when my father was only age ten. I also have researched the Thomas and Allen names, to try to find a Hill wife’s link, knowing that the first, or usually the second son carried the wife’s family name. I, too, have seen the Nancy Stephens name on the internet, but I have seen no proof. My father’s name was Allen, son of Thomas Allen Hill b 1875, son of Thomas Jefferson Hill b 1836 md Judith Ann Sellers. I used to correspond with Billy Hill—he was a good man, and we shared a lot of our research.
            I am glad to have found this research link, and I thank you again. ---Patty G.

[...]

            Thanks for any help or suggestions you might be able to add. ---Patty G. mailto:Patty.gamb%40att.net

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
              Can anyone tell me who the parents were of Willard and Grady JAMES was and
              also who was the parents of William "Bud" MCCRARY? I am thinking that these
              three were half brothers and were related to me through my GOLD line. I
              thought I had this all down somewhere but can't seem to find it.

              Thanks

            • Regina Pipes
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
                Just found some of the information I needed. Willard and Grady were the
                sons of Lilly West ( I think her mother was a GOLD) and Arthur JAMES. I
                think there were some girls in this family also, After Arthur died I think
                Lilly married a McCrary. I think they were the parents of Polly and Bud
                McCrary.

                Still searching

                Regina

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
                  1910 Larkinsville JC AL
                  Arthur James Head 21 mar.once 0yrs TN TN TN
                  Lillie Wife 20 mar.once 0yrs AL AL AL

                  Didn't find a marriage record or any death records so no maiden name..

                  1920 Winniger JC AL
                  Lily James 30 WD
                  Willard Son 9
                  Grady Son 6
                  Mabel Dau 4
                  Louisa Dau 1

                  Lillie James m. William McCory 21 Oct 1920 Hollywood, JC AL

                  Found nothing on McCrays/McCorys.

                  Found nothing of them on the 1930 Jackson Co.

                  Clay

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
                    Lilly P. West was dau of Thomas N. West and Mary E. Gold who m. 19 Sept 1889.

                    1900 Limrock JC AL
                    Thomas West Head Apr 1868 32 mar.12yrs
                    Mary E. Wife Dec 1869 30 mar.12yrs 6child/4living
                    Lilly P. Dau Jun 1890 10
                    Fanny A. Dau Sept 1893 6
                    Mary A. Apr 1896 6
                    John K. Aug 1899 9months

                    Clay

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                      Lilly James had Willard James married to Alma Burrow
                      Grady James married Rhoda Burrow, sister to above
                      Lucille James married to J B Goolsby
                      Mable James married to a Smart

                      Lilly James married Will Mccrary
                      They had Mary Velma married first to Creed Gant
                      then to a Walker
                      Mildred Polly married to Leonard Pete Glass
                      She just passed away last week
                      William Bud first married Helen Sharp
                      don't know second wife
                      not in my lines but were neighbors