RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Gravestone questions

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2011
      Thanks Helen.

      Regina

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Helen Lopez
      Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:06 PM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Gravestone questions

      Last year I attended a Workshop on Cemetery Preservation that was given by the Alabama Historical Commission and they provided a handout that gave the steps to restoring and preserving headstones. If you write them I'm sure they would be happy to send you the information: State of Alabama Historical Commission, 468 South Perry Street, Montgomery, AL 36130-0900 Telephone Number: (334) 230-2669

      Message 2 of 26 , May 16, 2011
        see if you can get one, but I belong to that and have their journals, I just got out of the hospital and I will try to find mine and if I do I will be glad to copy those pages and mail to you
        delilah evans
      • David Malbuff
        Message 3 of 26 , May 17, 2011
          Quoth Annette Norris Bradford:

          "Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
          that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
          Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
          Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
          have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
          in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
          you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
          part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
          grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson"

          Annette, if you don't mind, I would love a copy of these documents too.  I have
          secondhand references to the Caldwell/Weeks doc, but have never seen the actual
          item.

          My records have Margaret, daughter of J.D. and Abigail (Dunlap) Snodgrass born
          Jan. 6, 1840; married John Malone Morgan (no dates) , child Florence Morgan (no
          dates).  These were the Cherokee county Snodgrasses, distant (~3 generations
          removed) relations to the Bellefonte Snodgrasses, but familiar to them
          nonetheless, with frequent visits to Jackson county.

          Margaret's niece Eliza Ann Snodgrass is my great-great-grandmother. Her daughter
          Mary Louise married W.L. Stephens, whose grandmother was a different Margaret
          Snodgrass, of the Bellefonte branch.

          My address is malbuff at yahoo dot com, if you are able to send the PDF.
          Blessings to you.

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia
          (Stephens, Larkin, McClung, Snodgrass, Rutledge, Vann)

        • Delilah
          Message 4 of 26 , May 17, 2011
            can you scan it to me also -
            delilah evans
            Message 5 of 26 , May 17, 2011
              Hi, how about info on Mccutchens, Vanns and Williams families.  Roger

              annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
              available? billy hill

            • Pat Foster
              Message 6 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                Might I suggest you check with a monument maker to see what they recommend.

                Maybe even check with more than one person. Some are more creative/better
                than others sometimes.

                Pat

                In Oklahoma

                  > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                  > available? billy hill

                  Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                  email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                  that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                  your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                  Annette

                • Roger Burbank
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                    Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog

                    > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                    > available? billy hill

                    Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                    email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                    that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                    your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                    Annette

                  • phyllis jordan
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                      Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog
                    • Annette Norris Bradford
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                        On 5/18/2011 2:48 PM, phyllis jordan wrote:

> [...]
                        Roger, there is a sketch about John Hogan McCutchen and Lucretia Edward
                        King McCutchen; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary War Hero; one
                        about John McCutchen 1755-1835; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary
                        patriot; one about John Wesley and Tabitha Caruthers McCutchen; one
                        about Maclin Morris and Mary Malinda Norwood McCutchen. There is
                        nothing on the Vann family. There is a sketch on Ephriam C. Williams;
                        Luit John W. Williams, Francis Marion Williams, James Williams son of
                        Sherrod, John William Williams, husband of Margaret Carden, Phillip
                        Williams, Richard Arthur Williams; Sherrod Williams' descendents, and
                        William Maclin Williams.

                        If you tell me which of these you care about, I will try to scan and
                        send to you.

                        Annette

                      • Roger Burbank
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                          Hi Annette, thankyou so much. The Mccutchens are mine. Though Joseph Mccutchen was married to Mary Tabitha Carothers? could be a typo with John. John 1755-1835 is my 5th great grandfather, the boys are his sons. I would appreciate copies of the Mccutchen info. I'm surprised the book did not mention Samuel Williams, he was a hugh land owner and is buried in Dodson Cemetery along with other relatives.  Samuel is my 5th also. I believe his land was by the rail tracks.  I have just purchased the Family maps by Boyd of Jackson and Madison co. I can copy any map anyone needs.  These maps show farms and have the name of owner in middle of plot, also shows graveyards, creeks, rivers.  Thanks for your help.  Roger

                        • Waynette Davis
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 2, 2011
                            Regina, are there many old unmarked graves there at the Hollywood Baptist
                            Cemetery?

                            Do the graves go back earlier than 1850,s or 60's?

                            Is it the same as Center Point Cemetery?

                            I am looking for 1850's or 60's KING gravestones, particularly William and
                            Sarah born 1796 and 1797 respectively.

                            Waynette Davis

                          • Clay Gullatt
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 4, 2011
                              Waynette

                              Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.

                              Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.

                              Both Cemeteries are still in use today.

                              Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.

                              You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.

                              Clay

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                Clay,
                                Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                Cyn Robbins

                                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                > Waynette
                                >
                                > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                >
                                > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                >
                                > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                >
                                > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                >
                                > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                >
                                > Clay

                              • Clay Gullatt
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                  No. According to the MegaCem File and the list from University of AL, Price Cemetery is at Lakeview Church which is just Northeast of Mudcreek. It has over 1000 graves, first know interment was Lucy Jane (Ivey) Holder in 1886. The majority are from the 1940s to the present.

                                  Clay

                                  Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                  Cyn Robbins

                                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                  > Waynette
                                  >
                                  > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                  >
                                  > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                  >
                                  > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                  >
                                  > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                  >
                                  > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                  >
                                  > Clay

                                • Waynette Davis
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 10, 2011
                                    Thanks for your directions on finding persons in cemeteries and
                                    clarification on different Old Baptist Cemeteries.

                                    Waynette