RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Gravestone questions

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2011
      Thanks Helen.

      Regina

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Helen Lopez
      Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:06 PM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Gravestone questions

      Last year I attended a Workshop on Cemetery Preservation that was given by the Alabama Historical Commission and they provided a handout that gave the steps to restoring and preserving headstones. If you write them I'm sure they would be happy to send you the information: State of Alabama Historical Commission, 468 South Perry Street, Montgomery, AL 36130-0900 Telephone Number: (334) 230-2669

      Message 2 of 26 , May 16, 2011
        I bought my copy in Scottsboro in the public library, I think. Or in the
        Heritage Center. I have the 2nd printer.

        The title is The Heritage of Jackson County, AL. There is one of these
        books for every county in AL and for counties in many other states as
        well. The group that publishes it is Heritage Publishing Consultants,
        Inc. P. O. Box 67 Clanton, AL 35046 1 800 568-1611. It included good
        sketches of towns and communities as well as information on particular
        families. I get emails from them all the time but don't seem to have one
        available right now.

        Annette
      • Delilah
        Message 3 of 26 , May 16, 2011
          see if you can get one, but I belong to that and have their journals, I just got out of the hospital and I will try to find mine and if I do I will be glad to copy those pages and mail to you
          delilah evans
        • David Malbuff
          Message 4 of 26 , May 17, 2011
            Quoth Annette Norris Bradford:

            "Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
            that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
            Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
            Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
            have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
            in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
            you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
            part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
            grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson"

            Annette, if you don't mind, I would love a copy of these documents too.  I have
            secondhand references to the Caldwell/Weeks doc, but have never seen the actual
            item.

            My records have Margaret, daughter of J.D. and Abigail (Dunlap) Snodgrass born
            Jan. 6, 1840; married John Malone Morgan (no dates) , child Florence Morgan (no
            dates).  These were the Cherokee county Snodgrasses, distant (~3 generations
            removed) relations to the Bellefonte Snodgrasses, but familiar to them
            nonetheless, with frequent visits to Jackson county.

            Margaret's niece Eliza Ann Snodgrass is my great-great-grandmother. Her daughter
            Mary Louise married W.L. Stephens, whose grandmother was a different Margaret
            Snodgrass, of the Bellefonte branch.

            My address is malbuff at yahoo dot com, if you are able to send the PDF.
            Blessings to you.

            Glory to God,

            David Malbuff
            Strasburg, Virginia
            (Stephens, Larkin, McClung, Snodgrass, Rutledge, Vann)

          • Delilah
            Message 5 of 26 , May 17, 2011
              can you scan it to me also -
              delilah evans
              Message 6 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                Hi, how about info on Mccutchens, Vanns and Williams families.  Roger

                annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                available? billy hill

              • Pat Foster
                Message 7 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                  Might I suggest you check with a monument maker to see what they recommend.

                  Maybe even check with more than one person. Some are more creative/better
                  than others sometimes.

                  Pat

                  In Oklahoma

                    > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                    > available? billy hill

                    Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                    email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                    that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                    your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                    Annette

                  • Roger Burbank
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                      Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog

                      > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                      > available? billy hill

                      Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                      email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                      that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                      your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                      Annette

                    • phyllis jordan
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                        Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog
                      • Annette Norris Bradford
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                          On 5/18/2011 2:48 PM, phyllis jordan wrote:

> [...]
                          Roger, there is a sketch about John Hogan McCutchen and Lucretia Edward
                          King McCutchen; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary War Hero; one
                          about John McCutchen 1755-1835; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary
                          patriot; one about John Wesley and Tabitha Caruthers McCutchen; one
                          about Maclin Morris and Mary Malinda Norwood McCutchen. There is
                          nothing on the Vann family. There is a sketch on Ephriam C. Williams;
                          Luit John W. Williams, Francis Marion Williams, James Williams son of
                          Sherrod, John William Williams, husband of Margaret Carden, Phillip
                          Williams, Richard Arthur Williams; Sherrod Williams' descendents, and
                          William Maclin Williams.

                          If you tell me which of these you care about, I will try to scan and
                          send to you.

                          Annette

                        • Roger Burbank
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                            Hi Annette, thankyou so much. The Mccutchens are mine. Though Joseph Mccutchen was married to Mary Tabitha Carothers? could be a typo with John. John 1755-1835 is my 5th great grandfather, the boys are his sons. I would appreciate copies of the Mccutchen info. I'm surprised the book did not mention Samuel Williams, he was a hugh land owner and is buried in Dodson Cemetery along with other relatives.  Samuel is my 5th also. I believe his land was by the rail tracks.  I have just purchased the Family maps by Boyd of Jackson and Madison co. I can copy any map anyone needs.  These maps show farms and have the name of owner in middle of plot, also shows graveyards, creeks, rivers.  Thanks for your help.  Roger

                          • Waynette Davis
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 2, 2011
                              Regina, are there many old unmarked graves there at the Hollywood Baptist
                              Cemetery?

                              Do the graves go back earlier than 1850,s or 60's?

                              Is it the same as Center Point Cemetery?

                              I am looking for 1850's or 60's KING gravestones, particularly William and
                              Sarah born 1796 and 1797 respectively.

                              Waynette Davis

                            • Clay Gullatt
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 4, 2011
                                Waynette

                                Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.

                                Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.

                                Both Cemeteries are still in use today.

                                Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.

                                You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.

                                Clay

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                  Clay,
                                  Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                  Cyn Robbins

                                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                  > Waynette
                                  >
                                  > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                  >
                                  > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                  >
                                  > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                  >
                                  > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                  >
                                  > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                  >
                                  > Clay

                                • Clay Gullatt
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                    No. According to the MegaCem File and the list from University of AL, Price Cemetery is at Lakeview Church which is just Northeast of Mudcreek. It has over 1000 graves, first know interment was Lucy Jane (Ivey) Holder in 1886. The majority are from the 1940s to the present.

                                    Clay

                                    Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                    Cyn Robbins

                                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                    > Waynette
                                    >
                                    > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                    >
                                    > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                    >
                                    > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                    >
                                    > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                    >
                                    > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                    >
                                    > Clay

                                  • Waynette Davis
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 10, 2011
                                      Thanks for your directions on finding persons in cemeteries and
                                      clarification on different Old Baptist Cemeteries.

                                      Waynette