Re: Tombstone Repair

  • Annette Norris Bradford
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2011
      I agree with Clay and everything I have seen says, leave this to the
      professionals. I have gotten with other families in forgotten rural
      cemeteries and had the local headstone folks make use a price for
      resetting headstones, cementing broken ones back together, and righting
      those that are about to fall over. Also cleaning badly stained ones. It
      is usually not cheap and not covered by usual cemetery association fees.
      But doing it badly is a disservice to future generations who will look
      for this headstone. Sitting broken one up and propping them again the
      base is better than letting them be covered by silt and lost. I will
      check on the Bradford graves next time I am in the area, Regina, end of
      this month. And don't try to move headstones alone. They are remarkably
      heavy, another reason to leave it to the pros with their specialized tools.

      Annette Bradford
    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2011
        A few years ago the cemetery at Larkinsville was vandalized and the Sheriff used labor from the jail and a tractor to reset the stones.  I'm not sure how they did it but I believe they had a some heavy equipment.  If I lived there he would defiantly have my vote.   Might not hurt to call.