TWO WILLIAM KINGS in JACKSON COUNTY, AL 1830-1850]

  • Ann B Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2011

      There were 2 William Kings in Jackson County, Alabama, between 1830 and 1850.
      One lived at old Bolivar (no longer extant) that was about 2 miles
      northeast of present-day Stevenson. This Wm. King was born in 1802-1803 in
      Tennessee and married Frances (Fanny) Gaines in Tennessee. They moved to
      old Bolivar in Jackson County, AL, where Wm. King was a merchant and
      postmaster in 1850.
      Shortly after 1850, William and Frances (Gaines) King moved to Missouri,
      and Wm. King founded Kingsville, MO. I think this was the William King
      who sold his 80 acre land grant to Adam Caperton, as Adam Caperton lived
      in the same general area as this Wm. King.
      Waynette's William King was born in Kentucky circa 1796. He and Sarah
      lived near my James Campbell and his inlaws, Whitefield and Rachel
      Elledge, James Campbell and the Elledge clan and William and Sarah King
      all bought land 4 to 5 miles north of present-day Scottsboro, AL). James
      Campbell's daughter married her neighbor, Meredith King, circa 1843. The
      King family owned land near present-day Centerpoint Baptist Church which
      is now in the northern edge of Scottsboro.
      Adam Caperton would not have been buying land from William and Sarah King,
      as their residences were then considered distant from each other.
      James Campbell and the Elledge clan were all born in Kentucky and moved to
      Warren Co, TN. 1805-1806. I think they traveled together from KY to TN.
      In 1824 or 1825, James Campbell and the Elledge clan moved from TN to
      Jackson County, AL. It is very possible that Waynette's William King
      followed this same route OR possibly moved in same caravan with James
      Campbell and the Elledge clan. My Elledge ancestors were from Clark and
      Floyd Counties in Kentucky. My Campbells and Elledges were Baptists and
      so was Meredith King who married Susan Campbell in 1843. This is why the
      Kings are buried in the Centerpoint Baptist Church Cemetery.
      Hope this bit of info helps Waynette separate the two William Kings in
      Jackson County, AL.
      Ann B. Chambless
    • frances1 tds.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2011
        On the 1860 census for Jackson Co. there is a Sarah King with the William
        Fanning Family and is 60 years old and b. in Tn. Frances Sadler

        > Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy
        > group.God bless AmericaYahoo! Groups Links

      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2011
          Frances, I have been in touch with some of the people who knew about John Roland Hardin and his child with Sallie Nelson, think that was her name. Don't have those papers in front of me. But the little girl was named Ema and it's a mess. Mary Nora Laura Vann married William Sneed and they also had a daughter named Ema Sneed.

          William Sneed married Sallie Nelson too. I have been talking to Carman Taylor and Frank Brown and we have come up with quite a lot of info on them that is interesting. I'm sure you have heard it all.

          How have you been doing? Hope the storms were not too bad where you live. We are fine.

          Haven't seen any of the Hardins in Bedford County in a long time. It was sad to learn that Billy Hardin had gotten into trouble about 3 or 4 years ago.

          Love you
          Joe & Jewel