Tombstone Repair

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14 8:26 PM
      First let me say I do not encourge you to try to repair them on your own. It will take at least 2, 3 or more
       people to this. Some of the stones weight hundreds of pounds. The materials needed for repair will depend on
      the type of stone granite, marble, limestone, sandstone, slate.

      There is an article on repairing tombstones at www.rootsweb.com titled "Broken but not Forgotten,
      Saving the Tombstones of our Ancestors" which gives insturctions on tombstone repair and the materials
      needed. If you google Broken but not Forgotten it should come up as the first subject.

      If they are large stones it will probably take a professional to do them.

    • Annette Norris Bradford
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15 11:25 AM
        I agree with Clay and everything I have seen says, leave this to the
        professionals. I have gotten with other families in forgotten rural
        cemeteries and had the local headstone folks make use a price for
        resetting headstones, cementing broken ones back together, and righting
        those that are about to fall over. Also cleaning badly stained ones. It
        is usually not cheap and not covered by usual cemetery association fees.
        But doing it badly is a disservice to future generations who will look
        for this headstone. Sitting broken one up and propping them again the
        base is better than letting them be covered by silt and lost. I will
        check on the Bradford graves next time I am in the area, Regina, end of
        this month. And don't try to move headstones alone. They are remarkably
        heavy, another reason to leave it to the pros with their specialized tools.

        Annette Bradford
      • Charles McCutchen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15 1:43 PM
          A few years ago the cemetery at Larkinsville was vandalized and the Sheriff used labor from the jail and a tractor to reset the stones.  I'm not sure how they did it but I believe they had a some heavy equipment.  If I lived there he would defiantly have my vote.   Might not hurt to call.