Re: [jacksongenealogy] Gravestone questions

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2011
      I need to place some stepping stones on top of some others to raise their level, and have wondered if caulk would work OK for this. It might also work for joining pieces of stones together also, as long as the pieces sat on top of each other where the weight would not be pulling against the caulk.

    • Helen Lopez
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2011
        Last year I attended a Workshop on Cemetery Preservation that was given by the Alabama Historical Commission and they provided a handout that gave the steps to restoring and preserving headstones.  If you write them I'm sure they would be happy to send you the information:  State of Alabama Historical Commission, 468 South Perry Street, Montgomery, AL  36130-0900     Telephone Number:  (334) 230-2669

        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2011
          Thanks Helen.

          Regina

          Message 4 of 26 , May 15, 2011
            They are down all over Jackson County BUT the ones I would work on is at The
            old Baptist Cemetery iin Hollywood.

            Regina

            Message 5 of 26 , May 15, 2011
              John M Morgan and wife Margaret share a grave marker in Langston Cemetery, Jackson County. Here are the photos from my website: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/cemetery/langston/langston.html

              I have a family history from 1965 and correspondence from descendants of John Malon Morgan who say Margaret Morgan was Margaret Snodgrass, daughter of James David Snodgrass and Abigail Dunlap, and that John M Morgan and Margaret Snodgrass married in 9 September 1858 in Centre, Cherokee Co., AL.

              Does anyone on this list have any evidence of this marriage? I have been contacted by someone who suggested that Margaret Morgan was a BIRD, not a SNODGRASS.

              My line is James Adkins Morgan, brother of John M Morgan.

              Thank you,

              Cindy Holdridge Smith

            • Annette Norris Bradford
              Message 6 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
                that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
                Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
                Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
                have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
                in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
                you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
                part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
                grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson.
              • Cindy Smith
                Message 7 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                  Annette,

                  I have a lot of material about the Morgans, but I have not seen the Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan Weeks document. I would love to have those records. I have the Morgan and Snodgrass articles from the Heritage of Jackson County.

                  Are you related to the Morgans?

                  Cindy

                  To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  CC: cindysmith9@...

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                    annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                    available? billy hill

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                      I bought my copy in Scottsboro in the public library, I think. Or in the
                      Heritage Center. I have the 2nd printer.

                      The title is The Heritage of Jackson County, AL. There is one of these
                      books for every county in AL and for counties in many other states as
                      well. The group that publishes it is Heritage Publishing Consultants,
                      Inc. P. O. Box 67 Clanton, AL 35046 1 800 568-1611. It included good
                      sketches of towns and communities as well as information on particular
                      families. I get emails from them all the time but don't seem to have one
                      available right now.

                      Annette
                    • Delilah
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                        see if you can get one, but I belong to that and have their journals, I just got out of the hospital and I will try to find mine and if I do I will be glad to copy those pages and mail to you
                        delilah evans
                      • David Malbuff
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                          Quoth Annette Norris Bradford:

                          "Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
                          that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
                          Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
                          Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
                          have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
                          in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
                          you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
                          part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
                          grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson"

                          Annette, if you don't mind, I would love a copy of these documents too.  I have
                          secondhand references to the Caldwell/Weeks doc, but have never seen the actual
                          item.

                          My records have Margaret, daughter of J.D. and Abigail (Dunlap) Snodgrass born
                          Jan. 6, 1840; married John Malone Morgan (no dates) , child Florence Morgan (no
                          dates).  These were the Cherokee county Snodgrasses, distant (~3 generations
                          removed) relations to the Bellefonte Snodgrasses, but familiar to them
                          nonetheless, with frequent visits to Jackson county.

                          Margaret's niece Eliza Ann Snodgrass is my great-great-grandmother. Her daughter
                          Mary Louise married W.L. Stephens, whose grandmother was a different Margaret
                          Snodgrass, of the Bellefonte branch.

                          My address is malbuff at yahoo dot com, if you are able to send the PDF.
                          Blessings to you.

                          Glory to God,

                          David Malbuff
                          Strasburg, Virginia
                          (Stephens, Larkin, McClung, Snodgrass, Rutledge, Vann)

                        • Delilah
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                            can you scan it to me also -
                            delilah evans
                            annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                            available? billy hill
                          • Roger Burbank
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                              Hi, how about info on Mccutchens, Vanns and Williams families.  Roger

                              annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                              available? billy hill

                            • Pat Foster
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                Might I suggest you check with a monument maker to see what they recommend.

                                Maybe even check with more than one person. Some are more creative/better
                                than others sometimes.

                                Pat

                                In Oklahoma

                                  > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                  > available? billy hill

                                  Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                                  email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                                  that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                                  your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                                  Annette

                                • Roger Burbank
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                    Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog

                                    > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                    > available? billy hill

                                    Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                                    email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                                    that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                                    your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                                    Annette

                                  • phyllis jordan
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                        On 5/18/2011 2:48 PM, phyllis jordan wrote:

> [...]
                                        Roger, there is a sketch about John Hogan McCutchen and Lucretia Edward
                                        King McCutchen; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary War Hero; one
                                        about John McCutchen 1755-1835; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary
                                        patriot; one about John Wesley and Tabitha Caruthers McCutchen; one
                                        about Maclin Morris and Mary Malinda Norwood McCutchen. There is
                                        nothing on the Vann family. There is a sketch on Ephriam C. Williams;
                                        Luit John W. Williams, Francis Marion Williams, James Williams son of
                                        Sherrod, John William Williams, husband of Margaret Carden, Phillip
                                        Williams, Richard Arthur Williams; Sherrod Williams' descendents, and
                                        William Maclin Williams.

                                        If you tell me which of these you care about, I will try to scan and
                                        send to you.

                                        Annette

                                      • Roger Burbank
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                          Hi Annette, thankyou so much. The Mccutchens are mine. Though Joseph Mccutchen was married to Mary Tabitha Carothers? could be a typo with John. John 1755-1835 is my 5th great grandfather, the boys are his sons. I would appreciate copies of the Mccutchen info. I'm surprised the book did not mention Samuel Williams, he was a hugh land owner and is buried in Dodson Cemetery along with other relatives.  Samuel is my 5th also. I believe his land was by the rail tracks.  I have just purchased the Family maps by Boyd of Jackson and Madison co. I can copy any map anyone needs.  These maps show farms and have the name of owner in middle of plot, also shows graveyards, creeks, rivers.  Thanks for your help.  Roger

                                        • Waynette Davis
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 2, 2011
                                            Regina, are there many old unmarked graves there at the Hollywood Baptist
                                            Cemetery?

                                            Do the graves go back earlier than 1850,s or 60's?

                                            Is it the same as Center Point Cemetery?

                                            I am looking for 1850's or 60's KING gravestones, particularly William and
                                            Sarah born 1796 and 1797 respectively.

                                            Waynette Davis

                                          • Clay Gullatt
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 4, 2011
                                              Waynette

                                              Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.

                                              Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.

                                              Both Cemeteries are still in use today.

                                              Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.

                                              You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.

                                              Clay

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                                Clay,
                                                Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                                Cyn Robbins

                                                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                                > Waynette
                                                >
                                                > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                                >
                                                > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                                >
                                                > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                                >
                                                > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                                >
                                                > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                                >
                                                > Clay

                                              • Clay Gullatt
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                                  No. According to the MegaCem File and the list from University of AL, Price Cemetery is at Lakeview Church which is just Northeast of Mudcreek. It has over 1000 graves, first know interment was Lucy Jane (Ivey) Holder in 1886. The majority are from the 1940s to the present.

                                                  Clay

                                                  Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                                  Cyn Robbins

                                                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                                  > Waynette
                                                  >
                                                  > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                                  >
                                                  > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                                  >
                                                  > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                                  >
                                                  > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                                  >
                                                  > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                                  >
                                                  > Clay

                                                • Waynette Davis
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 10, 2011
                                                    Thanks for your directions on finding persons in cemeteries and
                                                    clarification on different Old Baptist Cemeteries.

                                                    Waynette