WILLIAM KING SEARCH ONGOING

  • Waynette Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2011
      Hello Jackson County, Genealogy group,
      I have taken some time to put together what I have from a Bible record with
      what I have received from Ann Chambless, Clay Guillat and others hoping that
      my plodding summary will help to get more clarification. Let me express for
      thanks for all you have sent my way. Here is my story. Can you help me
      further?
      Waynette Davis

      WILLIAM KING was born in 1796 in Virginia. He died between 1850 and
      1860. On September 08, 1815, in Elbert County, Georgia,( if the Clay
      Guilatt's WILLIAM KING is my WILLIAM KING), he goes on to say that Wm King
      was on the muster roll at Ft. Benjamin Hawkins taken in 1814, Ft. Benjamin
      Hawkins is in Macon, Georgia.
      Clay Guillatt found WILLIAM. KING with 5 land patents in Jackson
      County, Alabama at the BLM GLO website for 1831, 1837, 1838, 1852, and 1854.
      The most interesting, Patent 1854, gave a clue of where to look for other
      records on Wm King. This was a Military Land Warrant No.1916 (for 80 acres)
      that was for service in the War of 1812 as a private in Captain Underwood's
      Company, Fourth Regiment, GA. Militia . This warrant was assigned to Adam
      S. Caperton by WILLIAM KING. (What does that mean" "assigned to Adam S.
      Caperton?) Clay goes on to suggests looking for WILLIAM KING in Georgia in
      1812-1815. Clay mentions a "residence made by Nix of Elberton, Elbert
      County, Georgia. (Do you mean, Clay Gullatt, that this WILLIAM KING resided
      with Nix of Elberton? (I am not sure of the term "residence made" .)
      (Note on Captain William H. Underwood Company, 4th Regiment commanded by
      Col. David S. Booth "War of 1812.)
      My WILLIAM KING would have been 19 or almost 19 if this was him, but
      I am doubting that this particular Elberton, Elbert County residence for MY
      SARAH AND WILLIAM KING applies to my ancestor, since my William King is, in
      the 1850 Census, listed as born in Virginia and his wife Sarah is born in
      Kentucky. (This Elbert County residing WM KING AND SARAH COLEMAN KING from
      Clay are both found to be born in Georgia instead so I think they are not
      mine)
      Clay Guillatt goes on to guess that my WILLIAM KING possibly married
      a SARAH COLEMAN on September 08, 1815.My WILLIAM KING would have been 19 or
      almost 19. I am doubtful because of my WILLIAM KING'S in the 1950 Census of
      Jackson County, Alabama listing his birth state as Virginia and his wife,
      SARAH (whatever her maiden name was), was born in Kentucky. (My bible notes
      for them only list their birth dates, not place of birth.)
      In 1820 Census (5 years later) Clay Guillat finds a WILLIAM KING in
      Keepers Township, Elbert Co., Georgia Census with the following family:
      One male child under 10 (that could be Meredith King)
      One male child between 16-25 years (not possible to be a son since
      Wm. himself was only
      24 and his wife 23 years old at this time.
      One female under 10 (William and Sarah King had 1 girl between 10-15
      years
      and 1 girl between 5 -10 years in the 1830
      census. These could be the oldest girl and
      the second girl respectively)
      Two females 16-25 years old. (not possible if listed as daughters
      since they are too old to be children of my
      Sarah and William King who only married
      in 1815)
      Is the Wm King born in 1796, in Elbert County and residing in 1920
      Keepers Township, Elbert County, Georgia according to the 1790 census for
      Wilkes County (which joins Lincoln County) my ancestor? Even if not, is it
      possible that my Wm King, like Clays Guillat's grandparents, could have
      moved from Fairfax County, VA in 1800 and lived in Georgia as a soldier,
      married possibly and moved on to Jackson County, Alabama. I know my
      WILLIAM KING was born in VA, His wife Sarah (unknown maiden name) was born
      in Kentucky and they were living in Alabama's Jackson County by 1830. I
      have some reservation that my WILLIAM AND SARAH KING are the WILLIAM KING
      AND SARAH COLEMAN Family born in Elbert County, Georgia.
      More likely my WILLIAM AND SARAH KING are found in the following
      census' even though I don't know when and how they got to Jackson, Alabama.

      In 1830 Census for Jackson County, Alabama, according to Ann
      Chambless the following is found for WILLIAM AND SARAH KING:
      Two sons: One 5-10 years (Not my Wiley King since he was 9 or 10
      being born 1821).
      One 10-15 years (probably Meredith since he was 11 or
      12 in 1830 being born 1818 or 1819)
      Four daughters:
      Two under 5 years old: (Melinda would have been 3
      years old)
      (Elizabeth would have
      been 5 years old)
      One 5-10 years old: (Do not have name for this
      one))
      One 10-15 years old (Do not have name for this
      one)
      In 1840 Census for Jackson County, Alabama, the following is found
      for WILLIAM AND SARAH KING:
      Two sons: One 15-20 years old (Wiley would have been 18 or 19
      in 1840)
      One 20-30 years old (Meredith would have
      been 21 or 22 in 1840)
      Three dau: Two 10-15 years old
      One 15-20 years old
      In 1850 Census for Jackson County, Alabama, the following is found
      for
      WILLIAM (54) AND SARAH KING (53):
      Three daughters: Elizabeth King 25 years old
      Malenda King 23 years old
      Catherine King 13 year old
      Ann Chambless believes the WILLIAM KING AND SARAH KING found in Leon County,
      Texas in 1850 are not our WILLIAM AND SARAH KING who lived in Jackson
      County, Alabama. She bases this doubt on information given by WILLIAM
      KING'S CHILDREN in both the 1830 and 1840 Jackson County, Alabama census.

      From Ann Chambless:
      Meredith King, (whom I am hoping to confirm as brother of my 3rd Great
      grandfather Wiley King) was the oldest son of William and Sarah King.
      Meredith King married Susan Campbell in 1843. (Susan Campbell was the great
      aunt of Ann Chambless,( the sister of her grandmother).
      In the 1850, Jackson County, Alabama Census, Meredith King had been
      married for 7 years and had 2 children:
      Mary King 6 years old (1844-1933 later married a McClendon.)
      James King 4 years old
      William King not born until 1854. b. 9-6-1854, d. 10-19-1900
      (need to look for in 1860 census) It is logical that this second son of
      Meredith King would be named William after the grandfather William King who
      died just two years earlier. This son of Meredith King and grandson of
      WILLIAM KING, named for his grandfather, WILLIAM KING, married Eliza J.
      Garland on June 16, 1864. Ann says that a King/McClendon descendants from
      the Jackson County, Alabama area said that WILLIAM KING died in 1852 and his
      wife SARAH KING died shortly after. Furthermore, at Centerpoint Cemetery
      on the northern edge of Scottsboro, in Jackson County, Alabama, Ann
      Chambless found:
      DR. W. L. McCLENDON 1872-1923 (son of James P. and Mary (King)
      McClendon
      JAMES POLK McCLENDON 11-12-1844 5-24-1924
      MARY (KING) McCLENDON 1844-1933 (daughter of Meredith and Susan King
      Wife of JAMES P. McCLENDON
      EVIE D. McCLENDON 2-9-1875 11-1-1958
      WILLIAM KING 9-6-1854 10-19-1900 (son of Meredith and Susan King)
      EULA, ( dau. of WILLIAM & ?) 8-11-1886 8-26-1900 (died at 14,
      Waynette's note)
      ELIZA (Garland) KING
      SUSAN (Campbell) KING 5-31-1819 10-8-1881

      Ann Chambless believes the WILLIAM KING AND SARAH KING found in Leon County,
      Texas in 1850 are not our WILLIAM AND SARAH KING who lived in Jackson
      County, Alabama. She bases this doubt on information given by WILLIAM
      KING'S CHILDREN in both the 1830 and 1840 Jackson County, Alabama census
      analyzed .

      This following is the original information that I have on William and Sarah
      from my Uncle William Leeman King about his own grandparents.:
      WILLIAM KING ( my 3rd great grandfather and my uncle Wm Leeman King's 2nd
      great grandfather) was born in October 19, 1776 in Virginia (according to
      Violet King's Bible record received by me from Uncle William Leeman King in
      1990's)

      SARAH (last name unknown) married WILLIAM KING (date unknown). SARAH was
      born September 09, 1797 in Kentucky, (both found on the 1850 Census
      confirming the King family bible of Violet King by a 3rd cousin, Dee
      Colvin. Dee is the granddaughter of Great Uncle DAVID MONTGOMERY KING of
      Longview, Texas, who was a grandson of WILLIAM KING).

      In this same Violet King family
      bible,
      WILEY KING, my descendant of WILLIAM AND SARAH KING
      are listed::
      WILEY KING, born February 11, 182l, died November 21, 1871(my 2nd great
      grandfather)
      MARIA A. KING,his wife, born March 04, 1820, died April 17, 1872 (no maiden
      name here, but it was ROWAN. ROWEN. (Wiseman Arkansas .Cemetery).(She is
      my 2nd great grandmother)

      MARY KING born August 24, 1841
      WILLIAM KING born May 4, 1846 (twin) (He may have died at birth or
      young since Violets Bible has no marriage date or spouse
      for him but does for twin..
      JAMES KING born May 4, 1846 (twin)
      SAMUEL R. KING born February 24, 1848
      ALBERT M. KING born August 9, 1850 (my great grandfather)
      BELINDA R. KING born July 9th 1852 (called Rebecca in 1853 census)
      ALFRED KING born December 5, 1854
      COLUMBUS W. KING .. (Wiley) (W.C. King) born April 15th 1857
      SAPPHRONIA WISEMAN born February 24h 1851 (lived with them, niece of
      Maria, not their child)

      Marriages: (according to Violet King family
      bible)
      WILEY AND MARIA KING married September 10, 1840
      JAMES AND MELISSA married September 5, 1857
      JOHN L. BOWLING married BELINDA R. KING October 28, 1869
      JAMES F. MONTGOMERY married SOPHRONIA WISEMAN July 6, 1871
      (Sophronia was an aunt, sister of Marie A.
      Rowen who came to live with them when her father died and her mother
      remarried.
      ALFORD (Name spelled differently from Alford on this section of page though
      gravestone spells it Alfred) He died at
      18 years old in 1872
      SAMUEL R. KING married MARY E. KING September 28, 1875
      (I have a gravestone photo for WILLIAM KING,
      grandson of Wiley King, son of S.R.
      King and Mary E. King who was born in January 23,
      1876 and died August 21, 1888 at age 12 if reading stone correctly .)
      S. R. KING married MARY S. KING September 30, 1880

      (This below Violet King supplied)
      W.C. KING died May 19, 1932
      Wife of W.C. King EMMA KING born 1868 and died August 23, 1934.
      by
      Violet King May 1, 1954.
      The children of Martha JANE MONTGOMERY and ALBERT MARION KING third
      son and fourth child of WILEY KING AND MARIE ANN ROWAN (ROWEN?) are:

      SAMUEL W. KING born 1872
      He married Zenith Langston. Two of their children
      died at birth and they adopted Exie Watts
      LAURA ANN KING born 1875 and died Dec. 5, 1894
      DORA BELL KING married a few times and was widowed
      lived with her children and her mother, Martha Jane at
      various times with Samuel W. King and Zenith.
      MARY E KING born March 1879 (died)
      WILLIAM LEMUEL KING born January 1882
      DAVID MONTGOMERY KING born 1884 and married a Fannie Mae Sexton
      ETHYL KING born Feb. 1887 (married a James Sexton, brother
      of Fannie Mae Sexton)
      TABITHA P. KING born January 1890, married a Burr
      EULA M. KING born October 1894, died about age 12, mentally
      handicapped. It is interesting that Meredith King, Eula M. King's great
      uncle had a grandchild named Eula as well who died
      at 14. Eula M. King, Albert Marion King's
      9th child was also named Eula and she died at 12, She
      had an unspecified mental handicap.