Gravestone questions

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2011
      Since the storm came through two weeks ago and last year there is several
      gravestones that have been knocked off their base and some are broken into.
      Does anyone know what can be used to reconnect these to their base and to
      glue the broken ones back together? The ones I am seeing I doubt that there
      is any family still living or around that will ever fix these and I thought
      if I could I would try to get them put back up and glued together.

      While cleaning at Hollywood Old Baptist Cemetery there is people saying that
      the city/county picks up old flowers and containers as well as tree limbs
      BUT I want to assure you that there is NO such service there are most any
      cemetery that there isn't a garbage bin/trash dumpster on site. You must
      remove your old flowers/containers yourself.

      Thanks for any advice.

    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2011
        I need to place some stepping stones on top of some others to raise their level, and have wondered if caulk would work OK for this. It might also work for joining pieces of stones together also, as long as the pieces sat on top of each other where the weight would not be pulling against the caulk.

      • grams46@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2011
          _rgpipes@..._ (mailto:rgpipes@...) writes:

          Since the storm came through two weeks ago and last year there is several
          gravestones that have been knocked off their base and some are broken
          into.>

          is that at hollywood old baptist cemetery or at others?
          peace from kathy

        • Helen Lopez
          Message 4 of 26 , May 14, 2011
            Last year I attended a Workshop on Cemetery Preservation that was given by the Alabama Historical Commission and they provided a handout that gave the steps to restoring and preserving headstones.  If you write them I'm sure they would be happy to send you the information:  State of Alabama Historical Commission, 468 South Perry Street, Montgomery, AL  36130-0900     Telephone Number:  (334) 230-2669

            Message 5 of 26 , May 14, 2011
              Thanks Helen.

              Regina

              Message 6 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                They are down all over Jackson County BUT the ones I would work on is at The
                old Baptist Cemetery iin Hollywood.

                Regina

                Message 7 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                  John M Morgan and wife Margaret share a grave marker in Langston Cemetery, Jackson County. Here are the photos from my website: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/cemetery/langston/langston.html

                  I have a family history from 1965 and correspondence from descendants of John Malon Morgan who say Margaret Morgan was Margaret Snodgrass, daughter of James David Snodgrass and Abigail Dunlap, and that John M Morgan and Margaret Snodgrass married in 9 September 1858 in Centre, Cherokee Co., AL.

                  Does anyone on this list have any evidence of this marriage? I have been contacted by someone who suggested that Margaret Morgan was a BIRD, not a SNODGRASS.

                  My line is James Adkins Morgan, brother of John M Morgan.

                  Thank you,

                  Cindy Holdridge Smith

                • Annette Norris Bradford
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                    Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
                    that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
                    Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
                    Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
                    have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
                    in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
                    you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
                    part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
                    grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson.
                  • Cindy Smith
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                      Annette,

                      I have a lot of material about the Morgans, but I have not seen the Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan Weeks document. I would love to have those records. I have the Morgan and Snodgrass articles from the Heritage of Jackson County.

                      Are you related to the Morgans?

                      Cindy

                      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      CC: cindysmith9@...

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 15, 2011
                        annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                        available? billy hill

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                          I bought my copy in Scottsboro in the public library, I think. Or in the
                          Heritage Center. I have the 2nd printer.

                          The title is The Heritage of Jackson County, AL. There is one of these
                          books for every county in AL and for counties in many other states as
                          well. The group that publishes it is Heritage Publishing Consultants,
                          Inc. P. O. Box 67 Clanton, AL 35046 1 800 568-1611. It included good
                          sketches of towns and communities as well as information on particular
                          families. I get emails from them all the time but don't seem to have one
                          available right now.

                          Annette
                        • Delilah
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 16, 2011
                            see if you can get one, but I belong to that and have their journals, I just got out of the hospital and I will try to find mine and if I do I will be glad to copy those pages and mail to you
                            delilah evans
                          • David Malbuff
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                              Quoth Annette Norris Bradford:

                              "Cindy, I have a very good document on the Snodgrass and Morgan families
                              that was compiled by Daisy and Hamlin Caldwell and Elizabeth Morgan
                              Weeks. In this document, the authors trace the line that includes
                              Margaret Morgan Snodgrass. I would be happy to send this to you, since I
                              have scanned it into a PDF. There is also a good article on this family
                              in the Heritage of Jackson County book that I will scan and send you if
                              you do not have it. I also have a William Snodgrass will. These were
                              part of the genealogy materials belonging to Mary Lee Hall, whose
                              grandmother was Molly Morgan Benson"

                              Annette, if you don't mind, I would love a copy of these documents too.  I have
                              secondhand references to the Caldwell/Weeks doc, but have never seen the actual
                              item.

                              My records have Margaret, daughter of J.D. and Abigail (Dunlap) Snodgrass born
                              Jan. 6, 1840; married John Malone Morgan (no dates) , child Florence Morgan (no
                              dates).  These were the Cherokee county Snodgrasses, distant (~3 generations
                              removed) relations to the Bellefonte Snodgrasses, but familiar to them
                              nonetheless, with frequent visits to Jackson county.

                              Margaret's niece Eliza Ann Snodgrass is my great-great-grandmother. Her daughter
                              Mary Louise married W.L. Stephens, whose grandmother was a different Margaret
                              Snodgrass, of the Bellefonte branch.

                              My address is malbuff at yahoo dot com, if you are able to send the PDF.
                              Blessings to you.

                              Glory to God,

                              David Malbuff
                              Strasburg, Virginia
                              (Stephens, Larkin, McClung, Snodgrass, Rutledge, Vann)

                            • Delilah
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                can you scan it to me also -
                                delilah evans
                                annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                available? billy hill
                              • Roger Burbank
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                  Hi, how about info on Mccutchens, Vanns and Williams families.  Roger

                                  annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                  available? billy hill

                                • Pat Foster
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 17, 2011
                                    Might I suggest you check with a monument maker to see what they recommend.

                                    Maybe even check with more than one person. Some are more creative/better
                                    than others sometimes.

                                    Pat

                                    In Oklahoma

                                      > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                      > available? billy hill

                                      Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                                      email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                                      that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                                      your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                                      Annette

                                    • Roger Burbank
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                        Heritage Jackson Co. Book- can anyone tell me if Mccutchen, Williams, Vann families are in it? Samuel Williams was only Samuel in Jackson Co. his son was George W. Williams, George married Nancy D. Van. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen, he was son of Joseph Mccutchen and Mary Tabitha Carothers. Joseph's Father was Col. John Mccutchen,one of the founders of first Baptist Church in Huntsville. Rog

                                        > annette, where did you find the heritage of jackson county book and is it
                                        > available? billy hill

                                        Deliah, please reply directly to me abradford@... and send me your
                                        email address. The attachment is 18MB and if you have reason to believe
                                        that your service provider will reject a file that big, please send me
                                        your hardcopy address and I will mail you the file on CD.

                                        Annette

                                      • phyllis jordan
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                            On 5/18/2011 2:48 PM, phyllis jordan wrote:

> [...]
                                            Roger, there is a sketch about John Hogan McCutchen and Lucretia Edward
                                            King McCutchen; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary War Hero; one
                                            about John McCutchen 1755-1835; one about John McCutchen, Revolutionary
                                            patriot; one about John Wesley and Tabitha Caruthers McCutchen; one
                                            about Maclin Morris and Mary Malinda Norwood McCutchen. There is
                                            nothing on the Vann family. There is a sketch on Ephriam C. Williams;
                                            Luit John W. Williams, Francis Marion Williams, James Williams son of
                                            Sherrod, John William Williams, husband of Margaret Carden, Phillip
                                            Williams, Richard Arthur Williams; Sherrod Williams' descendents, and
                                            William Maclin Williams.

                                            If you tell me which of these you care about, I will try to scan and
                                            send to you.

                                            Annette

                                          • Roger Burbank
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 18, 2011
                                              Hi Annette, thankyou so much. The Mccutchens are mine. Though Joseph Mccutchen was married to Mary Tabitha Carothers? could be a typo with John. John 1755-1835 is my 5th great grandfather, the boys are his sons. I would appreciate copies of the Mccutchen info. I'm surprised the book did not mention Samuel Williams, he was a hugh land owner and is buried in Dodson Cemetery along with other relatives.  Samuel is my 5th also. I believe his land was by the rail tracks.  I have just purchased the Family maps by Boyd of Jackson and Madison co. I can copy any map anyone needs.  These maps show farms and have the name of owner in middle of plot, also shows graveyards, creeks, rivers.  Thanks for your help.  Roger

                                            • Waynette Davis
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 2, 2011
                                                Regina, are there many old unmarked graves there at the Hollywood Baptist
                                                Cemetery?

                                                Do the graves go back earlier than 1850,s or 60's?

                                                Is it the same as Center Point Cemetery?

                                                I am looking for 1850's or 60's KING gravestones, particularly William and
                                                Sarah born 1796 and 1797 respectively.

                                                Waynette Davis

                                              • Clay Gullatt
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 4, 2011
                                                  Waynette

                                                  Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.

                                                  Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.

                                                  Both Cemeteries are still in use today.

                                                  Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.

                                                  You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.

                                                  Clay

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                                    Clay,
                                                    Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                                    Cyn Robbins

                                                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                                    > Waynette
                                                    >
                                                    > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                                    >
                                                    > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                                    >
                                                    > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                                    >
                                                    > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                                    >
                                                    > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                                    >
                                                    > Clay

                                                  • Clay Gullatt
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 5, 2011
                                                      No. According to the MegaCem File and the list from University of AL, Price Cemetery is at Lakeview Church which is just Northeast of Mudcreek. It has over 1000 graves, first know interment was Lucy Jane (Ivey) Holder in 1886. The majority are from the 1940s to the present.

                                                      Clay

                                                      Is Old Baptist at Hollywood the same cemetery once known as "Price"?
                                                      Cyn Robbins

                                                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                                                      > Waynette
                                                      >
                                                      > Center Point's first known burial was Johnson Harrison in 1874.
                                                      >
                                                      > Old Baptist at Hollywood (Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church) was established in 1819 and has over a 1000 graves many are very old and some marked with hand made stones that are unreadable.
                                                      >
                                                      > Both Cemeteries are still in use today.
                                                      >
                                                      > Go to our group home website and click on FILES scroll down to MegaCemJacksonAll click on this using the Find feature under Edit enter Old Baptist there are three sections, click on one, then using the Find feature you can search the names in the cemetery.
                                                      >
                                                      > You can use the Find feature when you first open the File enter a name and search through all the cemeteries for that name.
                                                      >
                                                      > Clay

                                                    • Waynette Davis
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 10, 2011
                                                        Thanks for your directions on finding persons in cemeteries and
                                                        clarification on different Old Baptist Cemeteries.

                                                        Waynette