RE: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service Files - John Holdridge

  • Cindy Smith
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 9, 2011
      My theory was that gr gr gr grandma sent him to watch over their son John Henry Holdridge, drummer http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/military/holdridgejohndrummer.html , who joined in July 1861, at age 19, when the Hillabee Blues was formed. The unit had a rough first winter. The regiment had experienced the loss of many men due to illness while
      they were camped in Evansport, Virginia on the Potomac during the
      winter of 1861-1862. The men, being from the south, were not accustomed
      to the cold climate. Finally they were ordered by the secretary of war
      to Richmond, arriving January 3rd, 1862.

      John Holdridge, the father http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/military/holdridgejohnprivate.html, enlisted in February 1862.

      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: blackcloud27030@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:45:31 -0700
      Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service Files - John Holdridge

      Cindy

      I wonder why he was in the service anyway? He was way over the cut off of 35 years for enlistment. I have the discharge papers of William Gullatt of Lincoln Parish LA who was discharged at age 37 for being too old. I have seen the discharge papers of many others who were either too old or under age.

      The regulations said free white male persons above the age of eighteen and under the age of 35 could enlist. Those under twenty-one must have the permission of the parent, guardian or master. Near the end of the war I think the enforement of this requlation was lax.

      Of course in the closing days of the war especially in Virginia they took just about every male who volunteered from white haired old men to beardless boys or as one historian wrote about the Battle of Petersburg "everyone from the grave to the cradle".

      The modern term for abdominal dropsy is aceites it can be cause by either liver disease or heart failure.

      Clay