Richard and Annie Wood

  • jennylu2
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
      I have a lot of questions about Jackson County, but I'll limit it for
      now to the subject of Richard and Annie Wood of Woodville. The only time
      I've been to Jackson County was passing by on the highway, very
      reluctantly, under a time constraint. I do plan to come and investigate
      for myself one day, but, meanwhile, I have to learn what I can from NJ.

      My maternal GG Mother was Mary Ann Sublett Harrison, b. in Jackson
      County (I think Coffee Town) on 3/6/1854, the daughter of Joseph (Jud)
      Sublett and his second wife, Sarah Mary Wood Sublett.

      Sarah Mary had four children with Jud, and died in 1856, when Mary Ann
      was 2. I'm trying to determine who her parents were. Did Richard and
      Annie Wood have any children?

      Jud Sublett died in 1867, when his daughter was 13, and in the 1870
      census she is living in Jackson County with her older half sister,
      Margaret. The 1870 census also shows a John Sublett, who is the right
      age to be Mary Ann's brother, John, living with a Richard and Annie
      Woods in Township 6 Range 7 East, with the Post Office listed as
      William's Store. In this census, Richard and Annie are listed as both
      being 69, which means they would have been born in 1801 in Tennessee.

      According to the write up on woodvilleonline.com, the Woodville founders
      were born : Richard in 1797 and Annie in 1799. Still, that is only 2 or
      3 years off from the ones in the census. Perhaps they are the same
      people, but still not mine.

      Also, another researcher has the Woods of Woodville listed as having two
      daughters, Lydia Ann and Sarah, but I don't know if that is accurate. It
      does give me a bit of hope for the moment, though.

      Also, where is Fern Cliff, which is referred to in that article on
      WoodvilleOnline? And how far from Township 6, Range 7 East? I see that
      Richard sold that property in 1872, and he and Annie died in the 1880's,
      according to the listing for Mt. Zion Cemetery listed on
      Al@....

      I would surely appreciate any input! Thanks....Carla Hunter Southwick

    • Danimom
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
        Hi There - There is a whole Sublett Family Tree and Organization on the Net. Maybe it will give you more information. www.Sublettfamily. Anyway try it. It has lots of name

        Dani

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
          Ferncliff (historical) is near Dutton which is near where Coffeetown was (near Modern Day Langston).

          http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=154:3:3227368509486477::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:139163%2CFerncliff%20%28historical%29

          http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.771008,+-122.41175+%28You+can+insert+your+text+here%29&iwloc=A&hl=en

          Hope this helps,
          Charlie

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
            My Mother and her family, Jones, lived at Ferncliff in the 1930's. It
            is located on the bluff road that runs between Section and Hodge,
            which is towards the bluff from Dutton. In the days before AC valley
            folks would go to the nearby mountains to find a little cooler air.
            Fern Cliff was a resort in those days and was a mountain resort
            destination for some. Actually just a place to find a room and some
            meals, a place which had some cool breezes and a beautiful view of
            the river and the town of Scottsboro about 800 feet below.

            --
            Richard Matthews
          • jennylu2
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
              Thanks, Richard, and is it near to Woodville? I guess I need to study google maps and figure this out. It's helpful to have the description. It sounds beautiful. I was really impressed with the beauty of Jackson County when I drove through on the highway in 2005.

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews <messabout@...> wrote:

              > My Mother and her family, Jones, lived at Ferncliff in the 1930's. It
              > is located on the bluff road that runs between Section and Hodge,
              > which is towards the bluff from Dutton. In the days before AC valley
              > folks would go to the nearby mountains to find a little cooler air.
              > Fern Cliff was a resort in those days and was a mountain resort
              > destination for some. Actually just a place to find a room and some
              > meals, a place which had some cool breezes and a beautiful view of
              > the river and the town of Scottsboro about 800 feet below.
              >
              > --
              > Richard Matthews

            • jennylu2
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
                Thank you, Charlie, that does help very much!
                I appreciate it.

                Carla

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Charles McCutchen <chamac45@...> wrote:

                > Ferncliff (historical) is near Dutton which is near where Coffeetown was (near Modern Day Langston).
                >
                > http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=154:3:3227368509486477::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:139163%2CFerncliff%20%28historical%29
                >
                > http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.771008,+-122.41175+%28You+can+insert+your+text+here%29&iwloc=A&hl=en
                >
                > Hope this helps,
                > Charlie

              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
                  Woodville is a good 20 miles to the west in the valley

                  --
                  Richard Matthews
                • Richard Matthews
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
                    Just upstream from Fern Cliff in the valley was the Sublett Ferry near
                    the old town of Bellefonte

                    --
                    Richard Matthews
                  • jennylu2
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
                      Thanks, Dani. I'm aware of it, and it's a great resource, but I submitted my family and Sarah Mary Wood's parents aren't listed yet. Hopefully I'll sort this out and update it.

                      Thank you for answering my query,

                      Carla