Are You Active Duty/Retired Military or a Dependent? Free Ancestry/Footnote/HeritageQuest

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
      If you are Active Duty Military, Retired Military, or a Dependent and you are registered in DEERS then you can access ancestry.com library editon, footnote.com and heritage quest for free through the Navy Knowledge Online website.

      Go to http://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/ or google: navy knowledge online.

      You MUST be registered in DEERS to use this website. Fill out the form to register as a new user, if you are not registered in DEERS you will be rejected. Then at the upper right under Reference click on Navy e-library, on the next page on the left side click on E-Library - Genealogy that will take you to the page with ancestry.com library edition, footnote.com and heritage quest.

      Clay
    • Evelyn Leslie
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
        Wow, that is great information, Clay, something I was totally unaware of. Thanks so much for sharing it!
        Evelyn S. Leslie
        Remlap, AL

        Clay wrote:

        If you are Active Duty Military, Retired Military, or a Dependent and you are registered in DEERS then you can access ancestry.com library editon, footnote.com and heritage quest for free through the Navy Knowledge Online website.

        Go to http://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/ or google: navy knowledge online.

        You MUST be registered in DEERS to use this website. Fill out the form to register as a new user, if you are not registered in DEERS you will be rejected. Then at the upper right under Reference click on Navy e-library, on the next page on the left side click on E-Library - Genealogy that will take you to the page with ancestry.com library edition, footnote.com and heritage quest.

      • barbara jackson
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
          I am unable to get into the website, it said that there was a problem with the security certificate.
          Have a great day - Barbara
        • Pam Furlong
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
            when i try to go in it a red security thing come up and said that have or been a
            virus
            in it..Pam F.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
              This comes up  a lot on the military websites.  There is nothing wrong with their security certificates your virus program just does not recognize the military ones.

              Go ahead and click on where it says that you want to proceed anyway. That is the only way you will get to the website. The website is not infected with a virus.

              Again, you must be enrolled in DEERS to register at the website.

              Clay

              I am unable to get into the website, it said that there was a problem with the security certificate.
              Have a great day - Barbara

            • Delilah
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                I belong to FOOTNOTE, ANCESTRY and probably some more, when I see that they are offering free days, I let people know, but it is mostly a paid database, they may lure you in with offers of free days but you have to go on to other places where you have to pay for the rest of it - as for the virus thing, I would run my virus scan, those big databases are supposed to have protection, and if I can look for something on the things I belong to I will -
                delilah

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                  Footnote, World Vital Records, and Ancestry are some of the websites offered
                  free at local LDS Family History Centers. Local public libraries also have
                  some free genealogy websites.

                  a Dependent? Free Ancestry/Footnote/HeritageQuest

                  >I belong to FOOTNOTE, ANCESTRY and probably some more, when I see that they
                  >are offering free days, I let people know, but it is mostly a paid
                  >database, they may lure you in with offers of free days but you have to go
                  >on to other places where you have to pay for the rest of it - as for the
                  >virus thing, I would run my virus scan, those big databases are supposed to
                  >have protection, and if I can look for something on the things I belong to
                  >I will -
                  > delilah

                • T'Lene

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011

                      Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System. This is only for Active Duty, Reserve and Retired Military personnel and their families. This is used mainly for medical and other benefits due to Military Service.

                      Left out our Military Reserve personnel of the list before and the Military Medically Retired.

                      If you are not entered in DEERS you can not register at the  e-library website.

                      Clay

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                        I don't suppose my brother or uncle would make me qualified, would it?

                        Thanks for this information, however.

                        T'Lene