RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War Record Access

  • Cindy Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
      This sounds like the records they acquired when they purchased footnote.com.

      Do you know what will happen with those of us who subscribed to footnote?

      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: altafae@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
      Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War Record Access

      Not only Civil War, but also the 1860 and 1870 census.

      Free access week is coming April 7-14th.

      Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil War era records,

      including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one week. Save the date

      - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
        Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

        > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
        > purchased footnote.com.
        >
        > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
        > subscribed to footnote?
        >
        > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        > From: altafae@...
        > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
        > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
        > Record Access

        >       Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
        > and 1870 census.
        >

        > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
        >

        > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
        > War era records,
        >
        > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
        > week. Save the date
        >
        > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

      • John Cook
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
             Until lately, I subscribed to footnote.com by the month; overall a bit more expensive, but, if I didn't need it, or couldn't pay, I would just cancel it. Yes, they have the images of the Confederate service records; often also letters, receipts, and even receipts given to private citizens and businesses by the Confederate government. It is extremely interesting. I don't think that ancestry.com has any of that, except for the southern claims images. And footnote.com has so much more, and definitely I encourage  people to try it out.
                                                                                                               John

          Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

          > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
          > purchased footnote.com.
          >
          > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
          > subscribed to footnote?
          >
          > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          > From: altafae@...
          > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
          > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
          > Record Access

          >       Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
          > and 1870 census.
          >

          > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
          >

          > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
          > War era records,
          >
          > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
          > week. Save the date
          >
          > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

        • T'Lene
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
            Thanks to all. I had never known of footnote.com. Evidently, I've been hiding under a rock.

            T'Lene

            On Apr 2, 2011, at 3:03 PM, John Cook <redrowdy2003@...> wrote:

            Until lately, I subscribed to footnote.com by the month; overall a bit more expensive, but, if I didn't need it, or couldn't pay, I would just cancel it. Yes, they have the images of the Confederate service records; often also letters, receipts, and even receipts given to private citizens and businesses by the Confederate government. It is extremely interesting. I don't think that ancestry.com has any of that, except for the southern claims images. And footnote.com has so much more, and definitely I encourage people to try it out.
            John

            Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

            > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
            > purchased footnote.com.
            >
            > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
            > subscribed to footnote?
            >
            > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > From: altafae@...
            > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
            > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
            > Record Access

            > Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
            > and 1870 census.
            >

            > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
            >

            > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
            > War era records,
            >
            > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
            > week. Save the date
            >
            > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

          • Roger Burbank
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
              Footnotes offers 7 day free trials, in that time I copied 7 files of ancestors in Civil and Rev. war.  Roger

            • cagle8185@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2011
                I belong to footnote and have found very much info in SCC.

                Bill Cagle

                Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

                > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
                > purchased footnote.com.
                >
                > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
                > subscribed to footnote?
                >
                > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                > From: altafae@...
                > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
                > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
                > Record Access

                > Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
                > and 1870 census.
                >

                > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
                >

                > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
                > War era records,
                >
                > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
                > week. Save the date
                >
                > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

              • Waynette Davis
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Is the free access to civil war era and 1860 and 1870 census on Ancestry.com
                  for the week of April 7th through April 14th, for members at this time or
                  for anyone?

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2011
                    For anyone.

                    Clay

                    Is the free access to civil war era and 1860 and 1870 census on Ancestry.com
                    for the week of April 7th through April 14th, for members at this time or
                    for anyone?

                  • Karl Plenge
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2011
                      > Is the free access to civil war era and 1860 and 1870 census on Ancestry.com
                      for the week of April 7th through April 14th, for members at this time or
                      for anyone?

                      I interpreted it to mean for everyone.

                    • Stephen Dean
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Please un-subscribe me for a while.............I'm not doing research on the web.
                        Thanks for all the past help.....it has been indespensible.

                        Stephen Dean

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 8, 2011
                          How do you access Ancestry. Com for a free 7 day access to the Civil War era
                          records? I only see where to sign up for regular 2 week free trail with
                          credit card. Do you have to call them? Or is this really an April Fool?
                          Please tell me how if it's real.

                        • Karl Plenge
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 8, 2011
                            > How do you access Ancestry. Com for a free 7 day access to the Civil War era
                            records? I only see where to sign up for regular 2 week free trail with
                            credit card. Do you have to call them? Or is this really an April Fool?
                            Please tell me how if it's real.

                            If you just go to www.ancestry.com, there is a square on the right-hand side that Free Access Week. Click on Search Now.

                          • Waynette Davis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 9, 2011
                              Thanks for inf on free access to civil war era .