Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's in Jackson Co AL

  • Delilah
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 2, 2011
      The Alabama Archives has several John FRANKLIN on their Civil War database:
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm

      any idea if one of these is him?
      delilah
      From: Betty <bettypigg@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 12:17 PM

      Does anyone know what schools were in Jackson Co AL in the 1870's? and are there any records of students who attended, I have a US Census of Jackson Co AL Township 3 Range 4, Household # 59 Nancy Click age 50 unemployed and John W. Franklin age 11 (says) at school, I believe, this is my gggrandfather and Nancy is his aunt siter to Sarah Caroline Manley. Don't know what happened to John's parents they got married in Marshall co AL in 1857, and that's all I can find on them. John W Franklin was born according to all research in Jackson Co AL and latter married Louisa Louiza Riddle, sorry I keep repeating myself just desperate for a lead

      Thanks

      Betty

    • Delilah

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 3, 2011
          This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
          Thank you
          Betty

          Does anyone know what schools were in Jackson Co AL in the 1870's? and are there any records of students who attended, I have a US Census of Jackson Co AL Township 3 Range 4, Household # 59 Nancy Click age 50 unemployed and John W. Franklin age 11 (says) at school, I believe, this is my gggrandfather and Nancy is his aunt siter to Sarah Caroline Manley. Don't know what happened to John's parents they got married in Marshall co AL in 1857, and that's all I can find on them. John W Franklin was born according to all research in Jackson Co AL and latter married Louisa Louiza Riddle, sorry I keep repeating myself just desperate for a lead

          Thanks

          Betty

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
            The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

            Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
            http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

            Hope this helps.

            Mark

            Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
            > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
            > Thank you
            > Betty

            {reminder of thread snipped}

          • Roger Burbank
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
              Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

              The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

              Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
              http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

              Hope this helps.

              Mark

              Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
              > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
              > Thank you
              > Betty

              {reminder of thread snipped}

            • Clay Gullatt
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
                Roger

                What you are seeing at footnote.com is not the original service records but what a copyist has extracted from the original records. This could include from enlistment lists, muster rolls, clothing rolls, hospital records, POW records and many others. When you look down at the bottom of the cards there usually is the name of the copyist. There are scans of a few original records at footnote.com but not that many. You have to remember that a lot of records were destroyed during the war.

                I don't think that I have ever seen next of kin on any Confederate enlistment papers of the hundreds of records I have gone over.  You are lucky if it lists where they enlisted. The only times were I have seen next of kin listed is where next of kin, usually parents or wives, claimed pay that was due for those deceased. One of my Gullatt cousins in GA lost all three of his sons and went to claim their pay that was due.

                If you have some one who submitted a request for a pension then there is a lot more info on them in the original files which you would have to order, these records would be in the state's pension files rather than at NARA or footnote.

                There probably is more info on the soldiers at NARA but finding the records there is something else. There is a long list of Confederate Service Files at NARA. Go to NARA NAIL and enter confederate soldier service files in the search engine. If there are records of your soldier at NARA you can order copies of them. From what I saw as an example was the same thing at footnote. You would probably get better info from their pension file from the state.

                I believe others in this group have order pension files from the state and service files from NARA, so they could tell you exactly what they got.

                You can google NARA and then click on pre-1917 military service records.

                Clay

                Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                Hope this helps.

                Mark

                Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                > Thank you
                > Betty

                {reminder of thread snipped}

              • Clay Gullatt

                  Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                  The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                  Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                  http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                  Hope this helps.

                  Mark

                  Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                  > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                  > Thank you
                  > Betty

                  {reminder of thread snipped}

                • Roger Burbank
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Clay, thanks for info. I downloaded from footnote my grandfather Caleb Stout Rev. War record. I had already ordered it thru National Archives. When the file arrived it was 30 pages and exact info I had downloaded from footnote.com as was my Col. John Mccuctchen who died in Alabama 1835. I am under the impression footnotes are photographs of originals? am I wrong. My Mcc. war cards gave enlistments as Larkinsville, then listed where he died, which was Coffee Town AL. I am still a little confused. I know when I orederd from National archives, you could request everything they had, if you paid more. Roger

                    Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                    The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                    Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                    http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                    Hope this helps.

                    Mark

                    Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                    > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                    > Thank you
                    > Betty

                    {reminder of thread snipped}

                  • Martha Wallace
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
                      I have ordered Confederate pension files from Texas - eleven of them. Some are indigent solider applications, some are widow's applications, and some are indigent widow's applications. The application itself is one page. Affidavits of people who served with them are attached and in the case of the widows, there are documents proving that the soldier is dead. In one case there is a copy of the bill for the casket - $100. In the case of William Washington Williams from Jackson County who served in the 27th Alabama, there is a copy of his discharge paper that is also an oath of allegiance.

                      The place to begin for pensions in Texas is http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/pensions/index.php
                      Confederate pensions were granted in the state where the veteran lived after the war. None of my eleven Texas pensions were for people who served from Texas; they served in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. So begin your search for your ancestor's pension in the state where he lived after the war.

                      The documents from the National Archives are probably the same as those on Footnote. Footnote has a contract with NARA to film their documents. Clay is right that many of the service records and roll sheets were clerks' copies, but that is all you will find - I don't think anyone has the originals. I've heard that NARA charges $75 for the first 100 pages of a file and then tells you if there are more so you can decide if you want to pay more. People often find that it is less expensive to hire a professional genealogist who specializes in DC archives work and can extract the needed documents for much less.

                      Happy hunting!

                      Martha in California
                      Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

                      On Apr 5, 2011, at 9:10 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

                      Clay, thanks for info. I downloaded from footnote my grandfather Caleb Stout Rev. War record. I had already ordered it thru National Archives. When the file arrived it was 30 pages and exact info I had downloaded from footnote.com as was my Col. John Mccuctchen who died in Alabama 1835. I am under the impression footnotes are photographs of originals? am I wrong. My Mcc. war cards gave enlistments as Larkinsville, then listed where he died, which was Coffee Town AL. I am still a little confused. I know when I orederd from National archives, you could request everything they had, if you paid more. Roger

                      Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives. My question is this> you would think you would find more info? I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas. Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                      The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                      Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                      Hope this helps.

                      Mark

                      Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                      > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                      > Thank you
                      > Betty

                      {reminder of thread snipped}

                    • Roger Burbank
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Hi, National Archives charged me 80 dollars for 30 pages and said I had everything. So what your telling me is when you order or got to footnote you do not receive all the info there really is. It does me no good to check in state he lived in after the war< he was killed in the war. I will make some calls and do some emails tommorow. Thanks Roger

> [...]
                        > It won't work to view the output of someone else's search,
                        > or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any
                        > other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't
                        > include the search terms in the link itself (unlike
                        > Ancestry, for example). The database search function works
                        > great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably
                        > more that you wanted to know... :-)
                        >
                        > Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of
                        > the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to
                        > return to the original search screen and re-run the search
                        > from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                        > http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm
                        >
                        > Hope this helps.
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >
                        > Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                        > > This link is not working, but I will check into this

                      • Roger Burbank
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 6, 2011
                          Clay, I contacted Alabama state archives. I think I have all they have. The man I talked with said very few pensions were file by home guard soldiers. My cards do not list a pension file. He said National Archives would not have anything more on him. I have where he enlisted, his pay voc. and where he was killed, he said there were be no oath on paper or any other info.  Now I need to make sure I have everything on my Rev. War ancestor. I'm told there are the select pension records and non select records.  Funny, I have 100's of pages on file for my ancestors and there war records and I'm always worried I'm missing something.  Roger

                          Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                          The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                          Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                          http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                          Hope this helps.

                          Mark

                          Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                          > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                          > Thank you
                          > Betty

                          {reminder of thread snipped}

                        • Roger Burbank
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 6, 2011
                            OK, I will share what I was told at National Archives. Footnote and ancestry do not have all info available. What they do have is microfilmed-digital images of original documents. If you order a full packet-pension form 85a, which is a full pension file- pre Civil War from National Arc. you get everything they have on your ancestor.  If you go there to do your reseach, you can see originals only if they have not been digitized or microfilmed, or if copies are unreadable you can see original if they still have it.  Photos are ok, but no flash. Now I compared what I received from National Arc. and what is on footnote and in my situation my ancestors file was the same compared to footnote and Nat. Arc. but that is different with each name.  My ancestor had 33 pages on footnote as did my packet from Nat. Arc. The copies I made from footnote were alot easier to read then the crummy copies I got from Nat. Arc. also I paid 80.00 $ for this one file from
                            Nat. Arc. for 60 bucks a year on footnote I've copied 7 ancestors info, but you have to make sure it is a complete file, which alot of the time it is not. Hope I've made since? if not sorry.  Roger

                            Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives.  My question is this> you would think you would find more info?  I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas.  Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                            The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                            Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                            http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                            Hope this helps.

                            Mark

                            Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                            > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                            > Thank you
                            > Betty

                            {reminder of thread snipped}

                          • Cindy Smith
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 7, 2011
                              This page shows what I was able to find out by reading each one of the images in John Holdridge's records at Footnote.com http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/military/holdridgejohnprivate.html

                              The images at footnote were more complete than the records that my father received from NARA back in the 1980's. The records from NARA did not include the discharge papers. That was the most important paper, for that proved John was from Lauren's County, SC.

                              Cindy

                              To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              From: blackcloud27030@...
                              Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:41:18 -0700

                              Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the Alabama site and National Archives. My question is this> you would think you would find more info? I found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not present. You would think you would find enlistment papers with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath to who ever you fought for. Any ideas. Thanks Roger ps I have never found a pension statement for a confederate soldier, has anyone else.

                              The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

                              Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                              http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                              Hope this helps.

                              Mark

                              Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                              > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                              > Thank you
                              > Betty

                              {reminder of thread snipped}

                            • Clay Gullatt
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 7, 2011
                                Cindy

                                I wonder why he was in the service anyway? He was way over the cut off of 35 years for enlistment. I have the discharge papers of William Gullatt of Lincoln Parish LA who was discharged at age 37 for being too old. I have seen the discharge papers of many others who were either too old or under age.

                                The regulations said free white male persons above the age of eighteen and under the age of 35 could enlist. Those under twenty-one must have the permission of the parent, guardian or master. Near the end of the war I think the enforement of this requlation was lax.

                                Of course in the closing days of the war especially in Virginia they took just about every male who volunteered from white haired old men to beardless boys or as one historian wrote about the Battle of Petersburg "everyone from the grave to the cradle".

                                The modern term for abdominal dropsy is aceites it can be cause by either liver disease or heart failure.

                                Clay

> [...]
                                > It won't work to view the output of someone else's search,
                                > or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any
                                > other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't
                                > include the search terms in the link itself (unlike
                                > Ancestry, for example). The database search function works
                                > great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably
                                > more that you wanted to know... :-)
                                >
                                > Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of
                                > the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to
                                > return to the original search screen and re-run the search
                                > from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                                > http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm
                                >
                                > Hope this helps.
                                >
                                > Mark
                                >
                                > Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                                > > This link is not working, but I will check into this

                              • Regina Pipes
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 7, 2011
                                  Clay,

                                  My great grandfather Joseph GRIDER/GRYDER/GUIDER was in his fifties when he
                                  enlisted in the service. He was from Tennessee. He was a recruiter for the
                                  Union and spent most of his time in a confederate prison.

                                  Regina

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 8, 2011
                                    I knew A guy that was sixteen and was in Vietnam with me people forged birth
                                    certificates and sad to say some recruiters would help them. This young guy
                                    was big and mature for his age and I still talk to him today. He was a fine
                                    soldier. I was his platoon Sergeant

                                    John Hamilton

                                    _____

                                    <mailto:cindysmith9%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

                                    > From: Cindy Smith <cindysmith9@...
                                    <mailto:cindysmith9%40hotmail.com> >
                                    > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service Files (correct subject)
                                    > To: "Jackson Group" <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> >
> [...]
                                    > then there is a lot more info on them in the original files
                                    > which you would have to order, these records would be in the
                                    > state's pension files rather than at NARA or footnote.
                                    >
                                    > There probably is more info on the soldiers at NARA but
                                    > finding the records there is something else. There is a long
                                    > list of Confederate Service Files at NARA. Go to NARA NAIL
                                    > and enter confederate soldier service files in the search
                                    > engine. If there are records of your soldier at NARA you can
                                    > order copies of them. From what I saw as an example was the
                                    > same thing at footnote. You would probably get better info
                                    > from their pension file from the state.
                                    >
                                    > I believe others in this group have order pension files
                                    > from the state and service files from NARA, so they could
                                    > tell you exactly what they got.
                                    >
                                    > You can google NARA and then click on pre-1917 military

                                    <mailto:burby9%40yahoo.com> >
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > From: Roger Burbank <burby9@... <mailto:burby9%40yahoo.com> >
                                    > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's in
                                    > Jackson Co AL
                                    > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 9:53 PM
                                    >

                                    > Hi gang, I've found my Mccutchens on footnote, ancestry the
                                    > Alabama site and National Archives. My question is
                                    > this> you would think you would find more info? I
                                    > found pay cards giving enlistment dates, pay, present or not
                                    > present. You would think you would find enlistment papers
                                    > with next of kin or family info with this info? or an a oath
                                    > to who ever you fought for. Any ideas. Thanks Roger ps
                                    > I have never found a pension statement for a confederate
                                    > soldier, has anyone else.
                                    >
                                    > --- On Tue, 4/5/11, Mark Klan <mark@...
                                    <mailto:mark%40markabout.com> >
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > From: Mark Klan <mark@... <mailto:mark%40markabout.com> >
                                    > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's in
                                    > Jackson Co AL
                                    > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 5:43 PM
                                    >

                                    > The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this
                                    > email below is the "live" result of a database search
                                    (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm).
                                    > It won't work to view the output of someone else's search,
                                    > or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any
                                    > other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't
                                    > include the search terms in the link itself (unlike
                                    > Ancestry, for example). The database search function works
                                    > great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably
                                    > more that you wanted to know... :-)
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of
                                    > the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to
                                    > return to the original search screen and re-run the search
                                    > from scratch. Here's the correct link:
                                    > http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm
                                    >
                                    > Hope this helps.
                                    >
                                    > Mark
                                    >
                                    > Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
                                    > > This link is not working, but I will check into this
                                    > to see if either are my ggggrandfather
                                    > > Thank you
                                    > > Betty
                                    >
                                    > > --- On Sat, 4/2/11, Delilah <diamond6468@...
                                    <mailto:diamond6468%40mindspring.com> >
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > From: Delilah <diamond6468@...
                                    <mailto:diamond6468%40mindspring.com> >
                                    > > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's
                                    > in Jackson Co AL
                                    > > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > Date: Saturday, April 2, 2011, 9:48 AM
                                    >
                                    > > There are 2 John W. FRANKLIN listed

                                    <mailto:jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  • Charles McCutchen
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 8, 2011
                                      Re: the Conscription Act:

                                      A September 1862 amendment raised the
                                      age limit to
                                      45, and February 1864, the limits were
                                      extended to
                                      range
                                      between 17 and 50.

                                      http://www.wtv-zone.com/civilwar/condraft.html

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 8, 2011
                                        John Holdridge was 51 years old in Apr 1864 well over all the age limits. He was 48 when he enlisted in 1862.

                                        The youngest I have see was 12 years old (at least on records).  One of my Thrifts in VA was 14 when he enlisted in Mosby's Rangers.

                                        The last WW1 vet died in Feb 2011 at age 110, he had enlisted at age 16.

                                        When I was in the Navy Hurricane Hunters in 1958 we had a guy who had enlisted at 15. He went on to retire as a LCDR.

                                        Clay

> [...]

                                        > the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to

                                        > return to the original search screen and re-run the search

                                        > from scratch. Here's the correct link:

                                        > http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

                                        > Hope this helps.

                                        > Mark

                                        > Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:

                                        > > This link is not working, but I will check into this

                                        > to see if either are my ggggrandfather

                                        > > Thank you

                                        > > Betty

                                        > > --- On Sat, 4/2/11, Delilah <diamond6468@...

                                        <mailto:diamond6468%40mindspring.com> >

                                        > wrote:

                                        > > From: Delilah <diamond6468@...

                                        <mailto:diamond6468%40mindspring.com> >

                                        > > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's

                                        > in Jackson Co AL

                                        > > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                                        <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      • Karl Plenge
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 8, 2011
                                          FYI, I am turning up some useful information, but finding the search engine
                                          to be very disappointing and difficult to use. It doesn't seem to pay a lot
                                          of attention to what you put into the blanks and brings up a lot of
                                          extraneous results - but in amongst them are some useful items.
                                        • Cindy Smith
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 9, 2011
                                            My theory was that gr gr gr grandma sent him to watch over their son John Henry Holdridge, drummer http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/military/holdridgejohndrummer.html , who joined in July 1861, at age 19, when the Hillabee Blues was formed. The unit had a rough first winter. The regiment had experienced the loss of many men due to illness while
                                            they were camped in Evansport, Virginia on the Potomac during the
                                            winter of 1861-1862. The men, being from the south, were not accustomed
                                            to the cold climate. Finally they were ordered by the secretary of war
                                            to Richmond, arriving January 3rd, 1862.

                                            John Holdridge, the father http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/military/holdridgejohnprivate.html, enlisted in February 1862.

                                            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: blackcloud27030@...
                                            Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:45:31 -0700