Ancestry Free Civil War Record Access

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 6:00 PM
      I got an email this afternoon from ancestry.com stating that the week of Apr
      7-14 they will have free access available to their Civil War records collection.
      (No, this is not an April Fool!)
    • Jimmie Ryan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 6:53 PM
        Not only Civil War, but also the 1860 and 1870 census.

        Free access week is coming April 7-14th.

        Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil War era records,
        including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one week. Save the date
        - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2 9:20 AM
          This sounds like the records they acquired when they purchased footnote.com.

          Do you know what will happen with those of us who subscribed to footnote?

          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2 11:06 AM
            Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

            > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
            > purchased footnote.com.
            >
            > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
            > subscribed to footnote?
            >
            > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > From: altafae@...
            > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
            > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
            > Record Access

            >       Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
            > and 1870 census.
            >

            > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
            >

            > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
            > War era records,
            >
            > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
            > week. Save the date
            >
            > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

          • John Cook
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2 12:03 PM
                 Until lately, I subscribed to footnote.com by the month; overall a bit more expensive, but, if I didn't need it, or couldn't pay, I would just cancel it. Yes, they have the images of the Confederate service records; often also letters, receipts, and even receipts given to private citizens and businesses by the Confederate government. It is extremely interesting. I don't think that ancestry.com has any of that, except for the southern claims images. And footnote.com has so much more, and definitely I encourage  people to try it out.
                                                                                                                   John

              Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

              > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
              > purchased footnote.com.
              >
              > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
              > subscribed to footnote?
              >
              > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
              > From: altafae@...
              > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
              > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
              > Record Access

              >       Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
              > and 1870 census.
              >

              > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
              >

              > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
              > War era records,
              >
              > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
              > week. Save the date
              >
              > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

            • T'Lene
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2 12:10 PM
                Thanks to all. I had never known of footnote.com. Evidently, I've been hiding under a rock.

                T'Lene

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2 4:38 PM
                  Footnotes offers 7 day free trials, in that time I copied 7 files of ancestors in Civil and Rev. war.  Roger

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 3 5:54 AM
                    I belong to footnote and have found very much info in SCC.

                    Bill Cagle

                    Hi, I called footnote.com, they said ancestry does not have everything they have. I offered 59.99 instead of 80 dollars and they took it for. They took less last year also. Roger

                    > This sounds like the records they acquired when they
                    > purchased footnote.com.
                    >
                    > Do you know what will happen with those of us who
                    > subscribed to footnote?
                    >
                    > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: altafae@...
                    > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:53:35 -0700
                    > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Ancestry Free Civil War
                    > Record Access

                    > Not only Civil War, but also the 1860
                    > and 1870 census.
                    >

                    > Free access week is coming April 7-14th.
                    >

                    > Don't miss out on this chance to search millions of Civil
                    > War era records,
                    >
                    > including the 1860 and 1870 U.S. censuses, free for one
                    > week. Save the date
                    >
                    > - and you just might find your own Civil War story.

                  • Waynette Davis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5 6:31 PM
                      Is the free access to civil war era and 1860 and 1870 census on Ancestry.com
                      for the week of April 7th through April 14th, for members at this time or
                      for anyone?

                    • Clay Gullatt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5 6:38 PM
                        For anyone.

                        Clay

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 5 6:38 PM
                          > Is the free access to civil war era and 1860 and 1870 census on Ancestry.com
                          for the week of April 7th through April 14th, for members at this time or
                          for anyone?

                          I interpreted it to mean for everyone.

                        • Stephen Dean
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 5 8:43 PM
                            Please un-subscribe me for a while.............I'm not doing research on the web.
                            Thanks for all the past help.....it has been indespensible.

                            Stephen Dean

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 8 6:28 PM
                              How do you access Ancestry. Com for a free 7 day access to the Civil War era
                              records? I only see where to sign up for regular 2 week free trail with
                              credit card. Do you have to call them? Or is this really an April Fool?
                              Please tell me how if it's real.

                            • Karl Plenge
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 8 8:10 PM
                                > How do you access Ancestry. Com for a free 7 day access to the Civil War era
                                records? I only see where to sign up for regular 2 week free trail with
                                credit card. Do you have to call them? Or is this really an April Fool?
                                Please tell me how if it's real.

                                If you just go to www.ancestry.com, there is a square on the right-hand side that Free Access Week. Click on Search Now.

                              • Waynette Davis
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 9 2:39 PM
                                  Thanks for inf on free access to civil war era .