Re: [jacksongenealogy] Ruhama

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
      Bill

      A Hebrew name taken from the Bible: Ruhama, Ruchamah "the one who is spared", the daughter of Hosea.  Also as in  Lo Ruhama "the one who was not spared" "no mercy" "no pity" see Hosea 6:1. From elsewhere the Biblical meaning of Ruhama is "merciful", "the one who received feelings of mercy and pity".  Ruhama is the correct spelling.

      There were some really odd Biblical names used mostly the women but sometimes the men. I have a Lyle ancestor born in Ireland named Maher Shalal Hash Baz Lyle who was named after  the second son of Isaiah.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
        Thanks again Clay, as we know the spelling was up to the person who wrote it.

        Bill Cagle

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
          Bill,

          The only spelling that I have, "Ruhamia", and for that matter all the information that I have was copied from Mabry Green's copy of the family tree. She was the child of William and Charlotte and the sister of my grandfather, Charlie Cleveland Green. I have not pursued this family line at all since they left the valley before I was born.

          John

        • cagle8185@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
            John, was she the sister of your grandfather or ggggrandfather. The Ruhana Green that married John Riddle had oldest daughter named Mary Riddle and her only daughter was Eliza and Eliza was raised by John and Ruhama because Mary died when she was only 8 years old. Her father was in the pen, at this time, for killing a man and Eliza lived with John and Ruhama part time and was let out to other families, as a "house girl". She was recorded as "Eliza Riddle" but this was not her given name.

            Eliza married Joe Stovall and their oldest daughter was Rosa Stovall and was my grandmother. I am 70 years old (young) and I know you said you were retired, so the grandfather sounds like you are older or reincarnated (just joking).

            For other info to who ever may read this, My grandmother, Rosa Stovall was the older sister of "Cat Stovall". Folks in Paint Rock Valley new "Cat" as the biggest bootlegger in the area.

            I do not know if "Cat" and his grandfather were ever in the pin at the same time but it was very possible because of their lifestyle.

            Just remember one thing, John, these folks are also your kin to you. Good or bad me must love um all.

            Cuz, Bill