Re: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War newspapers

  • Joseph T. Richardson
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 6, 2011
      Also, there were newspapers publishing in Chattanooga at that time, the
      Gazette and Advertiser. I'm not very familiar with Tennessee newspapers, but
      here is an inventory of the newspapers on microfilm at the Tennessee State
      Library and Archives in Nashville:

      http://www.tn.gov/tsla/history/newspapers/tn-paper.htm

      Similarly, here are inventories of the microfilm and bound newspaper
      collections at the Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery:

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/newsmicro/search.cfm
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/newshard/search.cfm

      --Joseph

      On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Cindy Smith <cindysmith9@...>wrote:

      > Thank you to those who responded about the newspapers. I have the service
      > records for James Morgan. I am looking for news articles to provide some
      > background material before I finish writing his story. On June 30, 1861, the
      > Secretary of War for the Confederacy called for volunteers from the states
      > that seceded. I am looking for a news article or handbill for that call to
      > arms, or something along the lines of this article about another Alabama
      > ancestor, John Holdridge:
      >
      > After enlistment the men camped out in Dadeville, the county seat of
      > Tallapoosa County, before proceeding on to Auburn. From The Dadeville
      > Banner, Brooks and McDonald, Proprietors, "Independent Now and Forever",
      > August 2, 1861:"HILLABEE TRUE BLUES The following is a list of the
      > officers
      > and men of the above named company, which camped in our town on the
      > 25th instant, en route for Auburn, Alabama, where they will remain until
      > a Regiment is formed: Henry Brooks, Capt. John L. Craig, 1st Lieut. R A
      > McCord, 2d. J M W Bell, 3rd. . . .
      > I will try the Huntsville Library.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Cindy