Re: [jacksongenealogy] Where Is/Was Milan, Jackson Co AL?

    Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn t of Indian descent. I m just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn't of Indian descent.
      I'm just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
      believe that one of my Wilsons married a Woodall whose family filed this claim;
      they were later denied.

      It's been a learning experience.

      From: jrytrplt@... <jrytrplt@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 3:52 PM

      Paula: I found this particular post of interest; and I would welcome people's

      The Compensation Act of 1906 bought a number of people that claimed to be
      Cherokee out of the "bushes" or out of the "woods" as the case maybe. For
      example, there were families living in Hill City, TN (now North Chattanooga)
      that applied for compensation. When you look at these families on census
      records, they show up as "Indian" in 1910 (after the Act) but not on prior
      census records. I have looked at the application for comp and their ancestry may
      before. I think I remember the applications being denied.

      I have searched long and hard for my Cherokee ancestors and have found zip. I
      now believe that most of the mixing occurred in the 1700's. And, therefore, the
      records are very sparse.

      As far as Polk County is concerned, land was available for purchase in Alabama
      beginning, I think, in the 1830's (not sure of the date). The Cherokees ceded
      the land north of the TN River 1817. One of my ancestors came to what was to
      become Jackson Co in 1818. He probably came down the Great Wagon Road from VA. I
      think I remember he made his first land purchases in 1830's or 1840's even
      though he had lived on the land for years.

      If you look at early families in Jackson county, many came from Franklin Co, TN,
      just across Monteagle Mtn but also from Polk, McMinn, Meigs, etc. The draw was
      cheap land.