Re: [jacksongenealogy] Where Is/Was Milan, Jackson Co AL?

  • Misty Fulfer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 2:33 PM
      I wish you all good luck in finding your Indian ancestors. Many were killed, died of diseases the white men introduced, and driven out west. The ones that stayed behind took on a "white" status in the census to keep from being discriminated against. Many also took on "white man " names. What is Baker now may have been Youngblood before. DNA testing is a wonderful tool. Some of the OLD newspapers will list names of the Indians, and some of the military correspondece will list names with places they were in.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 2:57 PM
        Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn't of Indian descent.
        I'm just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
        believe that one of my Wilsons married a Woodall whose family filed this claim;
        they were later denied.

        It's been a learning experience.

        Paula