Re: [jacksongenealogy] Where Is/Was Milan, Jackson Co AL?

  • TOM F DUNKLIN
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      Thanks for the reply; that answers a few questions. Some things didn't quite
      make sense when I looked at these 3 requests. I'm glad you told me about this.
      Due to the spelling of record keepers at the time and faulty memories of past
      ancestors, who can really prove who was who.  The fact that almost every family
      had a son named John, James or William and the names were passed on down in each
      generation didn't help, either. If it hadn't been for my interest in genealogy,
      I wouldn't have known who my great grandparents were. I guess no one knows for
      sure if these men really were or weren't part Cherokee.

      The 3 Woodall men applying were Andrew Jackson Woodall, Zephynor Woodall and
      John Andrew Woodall. Brothers, Andrew Jackson & Zephynor both stated that their
      parents were Isariah (I wondered about the spelling at the time since I thought
      it should have been Isiah?) Woodall and Sallie (Sarah) Bigman....again,
      spelling; should have been Bigham? They stated that Isariah was 3/4 Cherokee.
      They claimed an Andrew Jackson Woodall and an UNK as paternal grandparents and
      what looks to be a David/Dodie Bigam and Phebia Bigman as maternal grandparents.
      The 3rd applicant was John Andrew Woodall, nephew to Zephynor & son of Andrew
      Jackson Woodall.  He gave Isariah & Sallie Bigman Woodall as his paternal
      grandparents and a BILLY WILSON and an UNK as maternal grandparents. That's what
      caught my interest and started me digging. I believe my Mary M Wilson (daughter
      of William Wilson) married an Andrew Woodall and I was hoping the above John
      Andrew Woodall might be their son. Now, I'm even more confused as the dates
      don't quite match. The claims of all 3 men were eventually rejected. However,
      they all proved to have connections to Walker Co GA where Mary M Wilson was born
      and to Jackson Co AL where my Mary Wilson Woodall and her Andrew lived in 1860.
      They had 2 sons, John A and Abraham and the above mentioned John Andrew had a
      brother named Abraham, as well. Made sense to me at the time.

      So for now, I'll put these gentlemen on the back burner and dig on, but I sure
      thought that I had made a BIG discovery and was about to solve my family
      mystery.

      Paula

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        I wish you all good luck in finding your Indian ancestors. Many were killed, died of diseases the white men introduced, and driven out west. The ones that stayed behind took on a "white" status in the census to keep from being discriminated against. Many also took on "white man " names. What is Baker now may have been Youngblood before. DNA testing is a wonderful tool. Some of the OLD newspapers will list names of the Indians, and some of the military correspondece will list names with places they were in.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn't of Indian descent.
          I'm just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
          believe that one of my Wilsons married a Woodall whose family filed this claim;
          they were later denied.

          It's been a learning experience.

          Paula