Re: [jacksongenealogy] Where Is/Was Milan, Jackson Co AL?

  • jrytrplt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      Paula: I found this particular post of interest; and I would welcome people's comments.

      The Compensation Act of 1906 bought a number of people that claimed to be Cherokee out of the "bushes" or out of the "woods" as the case maybe. For example, there were families living in Hill City, TN (now North Chattanooga) that applied for compensation. When you look at these families on census records, they show up as "Indian" in 1910 (after the Act) but not on prior census records. I have looked at the application for comp and their ancestry may go back two or three or more generations. The mixing probably occurred 100 years before. I think I remember the applications being denied.

      I have searched long and hard for my Cherokee ancestors and have found zip. I now believe that most of the mixing occurred in the 1700's. And, therefore, the records are very sparse.

      As far as Polk County is concerned, land was available for purchase in Alabama beginning, I think, in the 1830's (not sure of the date). The Cherokees ceded the land north of the TN River 1817. One of my ancestors came to what was to become Jackson Co in 1818. He probably came down the Great Wagon Road from VA. I think I remember he made his first land purchases in 1830's or 1840's even though he had lived on the land for years.

      If you look at early families in Jackson county, many came from Franklin Co, TN, just across Monteagle Mtn but also from Polk, McMinn, Meigs, etc. The draw was cheap land.

      Comments?

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        Thanks for the reply; that answers a few questions. Some things didn't quite
        make sense when I looked at these 3 requests. I'm glad you told me about this.
        Due to the spelling of record keepers at the time and faulty memories of past
        ancestors, who can really prove who was who.  The fact that almost every family
        had a son named John, James or William and the names were passed on down in each
        generation didn't help, either. If it hadn't been for my interest in genealogy,
        I wouldn't have known who my great grandparents were. I guess no one knows for
        sure if these men really were or weren't part Cherokee.

        The 3 Woodall men applying were Andrew Jackson Woodall, Zephynor Woodall and
        John Andrew Woodall. Brothers, Andrew Jackson & Zephynor both stated that their
        parents were Isariah (I wondered about the spelling at the time since I thought
        it should have been Isiah?) Woodall and Sallie (Sarah) Bigman....again,
        spelling; should have been Bigham? They stated that Isariah was 3/4 Cherokee.
        They claimed an Andrew Jackson Woodall and an UNK as paternal grandparents and
        what looks to be a David/Dodie Bigam and Phebia Bigman as maternal grandparents.
        The 3rd applicant was John Andrew Woodall, nephew to Zephynor & son of Andrew
        Jackson Woodall.  He gave Isariah & Sallie Bigman Woodall as his paternal
        grandparents and a BILLY WILSON and an UNK as maternal grandparents. That's what
        caught my interest and started me digging. I believe my Mary M Wilson (daughter
        of William Wilson) married an Andrew Woodall and I was hoping the above John
        Andrew Woodall might be their son. Now, I'm even more confused as the dates
        don't quite match. The claims of all 3 men were eventually rejected. However,
        they all proved to have connections to Walker Co GA where Mary M Wilson was born
        and to Jackson Co AL where my Mary Wilson Woodall and her Andrew lived in 1860.
        They had 2 sons, John A and Abraham and the above mentioned John Andrew had a
        brother named Abraham, as well. Made sense to me at the time.

        So for now, I'll put these gentlemen on the back burner and dig on, but I sure
        thought that I had made a BIG discovery and was about to solve my family
        mystery.

        Paula

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          I wish you all good luck in finding your Indian ancestors. Many were killed, died of diseases the white men introduced, and driven out west. The ones that stayed behind took on a "white" status in the census to keep from being discriminated against. Many also took on "white man " names. What is Baker now may have been Youngblood before. DNA testing is a wonderful tool. Some of the OLD newspapers will list names of the Indians, and some of the military correspondece will list names with places they were in.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
            Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn't of Indian descent.
            I'm just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
            believe that one of my Wilsons married a Woodall whose family filed this claim;
            they were later denied.

            It's been a learning experience.

            Paula