Where Is/Was Milan, Jackson Co AL?

  • TOM F DUNKLIN
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      Where in Jackson County is/was Milan located? While looking for Woodalls, I
      found that Zephynor Woodall and wife Alline/Adline lived in Milan, AL. He
      mentions that it is 25 miles from Scottsboro.

      Zephynor was applying for admission to the Eastern Cherokee Nation in hopes of
      receiving, "such share as may be due me of the fund appropriated by the Act of
      Congress approved June 30, 1906."  On June 28, 1908 he wrote to Mr. Guion
      Miller, Special Commissioner, Washington DC to complain that a letter requesting
      his presence for an interview arrived too late to keep the appointment. He said,
      "the postmark on your envelope shows that it was mailed on the 24th at 6 p.m.
      and that would only give it two days time to reach me, which would have been
      sufficient if I lived on the road; but as it takes one day after it reaches the
      road to find me, the whole time was consumed. Besides it is 25 miles from where
      I live to Scottsboro which must be traveled on horse back or vehicle so it would
      not be possible for me to appear on such short notice." Other TN relatives of
      Zephynor also applied for compensation, as well.

      Zephynor writes that he was born March 31, 1847 in Polk Co TN. Was there much
      migration between Polk Co TN and Jackson Co AL in those days?

      Hope someone can answer these questions for me.

      Thanks,
      Paula

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        It's was right by Estillfork near Swain cemetery NNW of Skyline (between 65 and 79)

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          Paula: I found this particular post of interest; and I would welcome people's comments.

          The Compensation Act of 1906 bought a number of people that claimed to be Cherokee out of the "bushes" or out of the "woods" as the case maybe. For example, there were families living in Hill City, TN (now North Chattanooga) that applied for compensation. When you look at these families on census records, they show up as "Indian" in 1910 (after the Act) but not on prior census records. I have looked at the application for comp and their ancestry may go back two or three or more generations. The mixing probably occurred 100 years before. I think I remember the applications being denied.

          I have searched long and hard for my Cherokee ancestors and have found zip. I now believe that most of the mixing occurred in the 1700's. And, therefore, the records are very sparse.

          As far as Polk County is concerned, land was available for purchase in Alabama beginning, I think, in the 1830's (not sure of the date). The Cherokees ceded the land north of the TN River 1817. One of my ancestors came to what was to become Jackson Co in 1818. He probably came down the Great Wagon Road from VA. I think I remember he made his first land purchases in 1830's or 1840's even though he had lived on the land for years.

          If you look at early families in Jackson county, many came from Franklin Co, TN, just across Monteagle Mtn but also from Polk, McMinn, Meigs, etc. The draw was cheap land.

          Comments?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
            Thanks for the reply; that answers a few questions. Some things didn't quite
            make sense when I looked at these 3 requests. I'm glad you told me about this.
            Due to the spelling of record keepers at the time and faulty memories of past
            ancestors, who can really prove who was who.  The fact that almost every family
            had a son named John, James or William and the names were passed on down in each
            generation didn't help, either. If it hadn't been for my interest in genealogy,
            I wouldn't have known who my great grandparents were. I guess no one knows for
            sure if these men really were or weren't part Cherokee.

            The 3 Woodall men applying were Andrew Jackson Woodall, Zephynor Woodall and
            John Andrew Woodall. Brothers, Andrew Jackson & Zephynor both stated that their
            parents were Isariah (I wondered about the spelling at the time since I thought
            it should have been Isiah?) Woodall and Sallie (Sarah) Bigman....again,
            spelling; should have been Bigham? They stated that Isariah was 3/4 Cherokee.
            They claimed an Andrew Jackson Woodall and an UNK as paternal grandparents and
            what looks to be a David/Dodie Bigam and Phebia Bigman as maternal grandparents.
            The 3rd applicant was John Andrew Woodall, nephew to Zephynor & son of Andrew
            Jackson Woodall.  He gave Isariah & Sallie Bigman Woodall as his paternal
            grandparents and a BILLY WILSON and an UNK as maternal grandparents. That's what
            caught my interest and started me digging. I believe my Mary M Wilson (daughter
            of William Wilson) married an Andrew Woodall and I was hoping the above John
            Andrew Woodall might be their son. Now, I'm even more confused as the dates
            don't quite match. The claims of all 3 men were eventually rejected. However,
            they all proved to have connections to Walker Co GA where Mary M Wilson was born
            and to Jackson Co AL where my Mary Wilson Woodall and her Andrew lived in 1860.
            They had 2 sons, John A and Abraham and the above mentioned John Andrew had a
            brother named Abraham, as well. Made sense to me at the time.

            So for now, I'll put these gentlemen on the back burner and dig on, but I sure
            thought that I had made a BIG discovery and was about to solve my family
            mystery.

            Paula

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
              I wish you all good luck in finding your Indian ancestors. Many were killed, died of diseases the white men introduced, and driven out west. The ones that stayed behind took on a "white" status in the census to keep from being discriminated against. Many also took on "white man " names. What is Baker now may have been Youngblood before. DNA testing is a wonderful tool. Some of the OLD newspapers will list names of the Indians, and some of the military correspondece will list names with places they were in.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
                Thanks, Misty. Actually, as far as I know my family wasn't of Indian descent.
                I'm just trying to find certain Woodalls who claimed to be 3/4 Cherokee since I
                believe that one of my Wilsons married a Woodall whose family filed this claim;
                they were later denied.

                It's been a learning experience.

                Paula