JESSICA HOTEL in SCOTTSBORO and the Jesse Edward Brown Family

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
      The Jessica Hotel faced Willow Street and was in the block behind the
      old Hodges Hospital. The last person to operate the restaurant in the
      Jessica Hotel was Katie Allen who later opened the Katie's (just east of
      Five Points) that later became the Liberty Restaurant.
      The Jessica Hotel and its restaurant is the only restaurant I remember
      ever being in the Willow Street block between Andrews Street and Scott
      Street. I agree with Richard and others that it was a one-story,
      L-shaped brick building. I remember going there in the 1940s for Sunday
      lunch (dinner to me then) which was served "family style" with the bowls
      and platters being passed around the table. John Green stated earlier
      that the building was there in the early 1930s when his Dad first moved
      to Scottsboro to work at the Post Office.
      I have been told that the Jessica Hotel was built after the 1880s
      vintage house built by Attorney Jesse Edward Brown and his wife Virginia
      Elizabeth (Wood) Brown was torn down (possibly in the late 1920s??).
      The Browns later built a large two-story brick they called Brownwood
      and a race track on the property between present day Brownwood School
      and the Robert T. Scott family cemetery. This house was demolished
      several years ago after the death of the Browns' daughter, Virginia May
      Brown who was the last person to live at Brownwood. Brownwood
      Elementary School was built on the northern edge of the Jesse Edward
      Brown property and was named for his Brown family.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Lallie Leighton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
        Sorry for my confusion - initially, I was mixing up the old Scottsboro Hotel
        with the Jessica and didn't realize you were already talking about the place
        that I can barely remember, yet have very positive feelings about it when I
        can recall what little snippets I can remember.

        I remember that the restaurant at the Jessica was somewhat dark (maybe dark
        paneling?) even in the daytime. I remember that I liked the food, and I also
        have a (possibly mixed-up) recollection of a sock monkey that I associated
        with having been to the Jessica's restaurant - perhaps it was sold there?

        Again, my recollection of the Jessica is from the late '50s, when I would've
        been 5 years old and younger.

        I also have a recollection of eating in a restaurant in the Scottsboro Hotel
        sometime between 1960 and 1965. Can't remember who ran it, but I remember
        being greeting warmly there by someone who recognized us - perhaps one of my
        dad's patients?

        Paula Dawson Leighton

        Annandale, VA

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2011
          The Jessica Hotel was in business until the mid (and possibly the
          late)1960's. I remember delivering newspapers there in 1965
          (Incidentally, The Bailey Hotel was on the same newspaper delivery
          route). I also ran across a Web document that mentions George
          Washington Bouldin moving to The Jessica Hotel when he relocated to
          Scottsboro in 1966.

          I did not know that Katie ran the kitchen at the Jessica. She had
          certainly moved on to The Scottsboro Hotel by the mid-1950's. The
          kitchen at The Scottsboro Hotel was still open (under Katie's
          management, I suspect) until at least 1966 when I attended an eagle
          scout banquet there. Katie moved directly from The Scottsboro Hotel
          to the new Liberty restaurant.

          The Jessica was a one-story red brick building. One wall of the
          hotel abutted the sidewalk on the Andrews street side. Was there a
          "courtyard" on the Willow Street side or did the building abut the
          sidewalk there, too? I can't remember. The dining room consisted of
          several long tables where food was served family-style.

          It's odd to think how vital that area would have been in the early
          20th century with all the train traffic. Trains stopped in Scottsboro
          at all hours of the early morning. I understand that there were
          even "all night" cafes to serve the travelers.
        • Roger Burbank
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2011
            Jesse Brown, this name is ringing a bell? Did he connect to the Williams family from Jackson Co.?  Roger

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2011
              Mary Ann Williams (1821-1906) was the daughter of Samuel Williams (1788-11859) and Margaret Guinn (1702-1849).

              Mary Ann married (Judge) Jeremiah Brown (1800-1866) ca 1840. He was married three times, so sorting out his children and his wives isn't always clear.

              However, one of his sons with Mary Ann was Jesse Edward Brown (ca 1845-?).

              I haven't followed this line, so that's pretty much all I can say.

              Martha
              Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!