Re: [jacksongenealogy] Green/e help

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
      Pam

      Cabarrus Co. was formed for Mecklenburg Co NC Nov 1892 there is an online book have quite a bit of info on Cabarrus and Mecklenburg Counties. I will look and see what I can find on you Green(e)s. I reseach on the Reese, Gullett and Gullick lines that moved into that area.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
        Sorry Pam got the year wrong that should be 1792. (:

        Clay

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
          Pam

          I saw no mention of them in Families of Cabarrus Co. 1792-1815 except "Russell Hamilton was overseer of Dutch Road from Hagler Ford to Anderson Creek in April 1813" and found no marriage record/bond for them in Cabarrus or Mecklenburg Counties.

          There was a Needham Green and Polly Kiser, Children, Margaret listed. No date given in the book.

          Russell Hamilton is on the 1840 Marshall Co. Census. There is a Green Hamilton listed on the 1840 Marshall Co. AL.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
            My GREEN line came from Virginia to Lincoln County TN before 1820 and on the Francisco area of Jackson about 1840. So far as I know, we have no North Carolina connection.

            John M. Green
            On Feb 7, 2011, at 5:31 PM, Pam Cain wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I wanted to ask if there is anyone on the list who would help me with the
            > Green/e ancestors of Jackson Co.
            >
            > My line is Margaret Green/e m Russel Hamilton c 1808 - Cabarrus or
            > Mecklenburg NC.
            >
            > She was b c 1792, NC (probably Cabarrus Co, but maybe Mecklenburg) and she
            > and Russel Hamilton married and her first child was named Nathan Green
            > Hamilton. I thought she was the daughter of Nathan Green m Mary Polly Kiser
            > but they are the same age, so it doesn't fit.
            >
            > The family's migration pattern was something like this: NC>Abbeville SC by
            > 1820, but may have been in TN between 1814 and the census of 1820. >TN
            > (maybe, again) before moving to Jackson, AL by the 1830 census. The family
            > left Jackson AL c 1845 to move first to Itawamba MS, and then to Tishomingo
            > MS.
            >
            > I don't know her parents, or how she ties to the Burkett Green/e line.
            >
            > My Hamilton ancestor, Gabriel, m Mary Catherine READY/Reddy/Reidy Pruitt,
            > and they named their only son Burkett H. Hamilton - though he always went by
            > the nickname, Banks. This makes me think they were kin to this Green/e
            > line.
            >
            > Margaret Green/e Hamilton died c 1856 Tishomingo MS, but, her will was
            > probated in Marshall Co AL (I need a copy).
            >
            > Any help is appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Pam Cain

          • Pam Cain
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
              Thanks Clay and John,

              I hope this goes through okay - I get digest so had trouble finding how to
              reply.

              Russel Hamilton's parents are unknown at this time. Most clues point to a
              James Hamilton, son of Hugh Hamilton, and an unknown RUSSEL.

              While this doesn't gel with the researchers of that particular James
              Hamilton line, it fits in all categories. They don't have James marrying
              until he is 40 - plenty of time for James to marry c 1779 and have a child
              with the unknown Russel wife.

              I found Russel Hamilton in Cabarrus originally by following all the known
              families he was affiliated with - Green/e,Russel, Cunningham, Parks,
              Dixon/Dickson, Finley, etc. Further proof that points me to this Hugh/James
              Hamilton line is that Russel and Maraget Green/e Hamilton gave their
              children very similar names - surname middle names - as the other line.

              Yes, Russel was on the 1830 in Jackson and 1840 in Marshall.

              The Green Hamilton was Nathan Green Hamilton, first son, married to Isabella
              Finley in Marshall Co. This family moved to Wood County Texas, and then to
              Williamson Co TX after the 1860 census.

              My ancestor is Gabriel M. Hamilton, b c 1826 Jackson Co AL, d 1914 Wmsn Co
              TX. He only had one son (known born and survived) so, there has to be a
              reason he named this son Burkett. Maybe they connect, cousin-wise, a
              generation or two prior to his mother's birth.

              Anyway, I need to establish parents for both, and somehow, I think there
              could be clues with the area Green/e families, as well as the Russel
              families. There was a Russel family in Cabarrus that moved to Williamson Co
              TX c 1850, and it is possible, if they were cousins, that could've been a
              deciding factor for my ancestor to go to that specific part of Texas, since
              there were no related Hamiltons in that area at the time - central texas vs
              NG Hamilton in NE Texas.

              Sorry to ramble and thanks for the help. I had one researcher who worked
              with me on this but he died last fall and there is no way to get what he was
              working on at that time. He was so thorough that he would work through all
              angles and sources before sending his updates. I guess I'm struggling with
              this line now, especially since it is all pre-census info now.

              I'm trying to find a male Hamilton from my line for dna testing, but, they
              are hard to find. My gg g/f had all daughters except for the one son.

              Thanks again, and everyone stay warm - big freeze in Texas today and
              tomorrow.

              Pam Cain

            • Pam Cain
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
                I just received an email from another Hamilton/Green/e researcher.

                He did find that the Nathan Green/e in Cabarrus Co b c 1790 was a Jr., the
                son of Nathan Green and Janet unknown.

                The elder Nathan

                29 OCT 1759 in Halifax County, North Carolina, and died 2 AUG 1846 in
                Henderson County, Tennessee.

                There is also a Nathan Green listed on the 1782 Montgomery Co VA tax list.

                Anyway, no proof yet, of course, but with the first son named Nathan Green
                Hamilton it looks like a good fit she is the daughter of (a) Nathan Green.

                Thanks!

                Pam Cain