Re: [jacksongenealogy] Census Districts/Precincts

  • Kyle Davenport
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
      That sounds good! Let me know your results. (hint: you can attach
      photos to google maps ;)

      Kyle
      (Halls of Jackson County, AL)

    • cagle8185@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
        Kyle,

        Are you related to Mr. Hall at the church. If so, do you know when his house was built?

        Bill

        That sounds good! Let me know your results. (hint: you can attach
        photos to google maps ;)

        Kyle
        (Halls of Jackson County, AL)

        On 02/04/2011 07:21 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

        > Thanks Clay,
        >
        > I am trying to use BLM, census and old home sites to see who was who and
        > the location they lived. Some of the old chimneys are still there and I
        > recall many more that are now gone.
        >
        > The area, on Larkin Fork, between Larkin and Francisco was called
        > Harmonious or Harmony on the old maps. This is the "town" I am trying to
        > rebuild. Do you or Ann have any info on this area?
        >
        > Thanks again
        > Bill Cagle

      • Kyle Davenport
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
          Hi Bill,

          We exchanged email about it before. Rev William T Hall was my
          great-grandfather, descendant in a long line of Baptist ministers. Rev
          Josiah Silas Hall was his father. I assume all the Halls of NW Jackson
          County are related and descendants of Rev James Hall who was the
          original settler before 1819. I have a land sale record from 1831 but I
          don't know how to translate that into location.

          Kyle

          On 02/04/2011 10:08 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

          > Kyle,
          >
          > Are you related to Mr. Hall at the church. If so, do you know when his
          > house was built?
          >
          > Bill
        • Clay Gullatt
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
            Bill

            Found part of what you were looking for in an old book at Google Books, Alabama Official and Statistical Register, it's for  1890 and 1900. No map but the precinct number. Its a free book at google books so you can see it all.

            Harmony Precinct #25, 1890 population 395; 1900 population 419, it must have covered a fairly large area not just the town.

            I ran it through the census with just Alabama, Jackson and 25 and it shows a bunch of Cagles including Valentine on the 1880 census, 350 people on the 1880 census. The 1880 census was the only one that showed up. They are listed by different Beats rather than precincts, some just for Beat 25, others Beats 14, 18 and 25.

            There were 34 precincts in Jackson Co.

            From: cagle8185@... <cagle8185@...>
            Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] The Ancestry Insider Blog
            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 9:21 AM

            How do you know what precinct is what and where?

            From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;; >
            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;;
            Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

            Clay,

            Do you have a address for this site?

            Thanks

            Regina

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
              Do you have section, township and range info?

            • cagle8185@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                Thanks again Clay, I will google it.

                From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;;; >
                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;;;
                Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

                Clay,

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                  It looks like his patent was where the town of Larkin is located today off AL Hwy 65. TS1 R4 Sect 33 up in the NW part of the County.  A James Hall also patented some of the surrounding land in the 1850s.

                  Clay

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Kyle,
                    There are 2 William Halls in Harmony in 1910 cen. One born in 1869 and the other in 1892. As Clay mentioned today there several folks in this area, at that time and Bear Creek would have been in Harmony. The James Hall land pat. in sec 33 would be in Larkin. If you open up a topo map and look at mouth of Bear Creek, you will see a small black sq. that reps. the "Old Willie Hall Place"

                    This area original land pat. were Valentine Cagle and James Brittain and located in sec. 17 and sec .20. This is the reason for more description, if you want to locate the records you have. If you know a corner in a sec. you can go from there.

                    Bill Cagle

                  • cagle8185@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
                      Clay,

                      John M. Green should have interests in this info and lack of info. John (Pig) Riddle married Ruhama Green and lived up in Puncheon Cove (Larkin Fork/Harmony) area. They had a large log home at Riddle Spring Branch. They moved to Florida early 1900s and shown on 1930 Cen. report in Fla. John was 67 and Ruhama was 60 that year.

                      Elvis Green gave me a picture of them and we agree with the relationship from then until now but I do not have much info before then.

                      A Ruhama Green is shown, in Ohio, in 1860 and was 1 year old. Father was D. J. Green and wife Martha. The age is off by 10 years.

                      John,

                      Do you have info on Rehama?

                      Bill Cagle

                      From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;;; >