Re: [jacksongenealogy] Census Districts/Precincts

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
      If you are talking about the Census you can google: usgenweb census project to find info on the census enumeration district maps. Nothing is available for AL before 1900. Most numbers for each district changed for each census.

      If the post office is listed that can be of help but on the 1860 census Paint Rock's PO ran from just outside present day Scottsboro city limits and everything  west. Over one third of county's population had a Paint Rock PO address on the 1860. In addition some people living on Cumberland Mountain were not counted in 1860, Ann B. Chambless discovered this when she went through the 1860 census page by page.

      Clay

      From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;; >
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;
      Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

      Clay,

      Do you have a address for this site?

      Thanks

      Regina

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
        Thanks Clay,

        I am trying to use BLM, census and old home sites to see who was who and the location they lived. Some of the old chimneys are still there and I recall many more that are now gone.

        The area, on Larkin Fork, between Larkin and Francisco was called Harmonious or Harmony on the old maps. This is the "town" I am trying to rebuild. Do you or Ann have any info on this area?

        Thanks again
        Bill Cagle

        From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;; >
        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;;
        Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

        Clay,

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
          That sounds good! Let me know your results. (hint: you can attach
          photos to google maps ;)

          Kyle
          (Halls of Jackson County, AL)

        • cagle8185@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
            Kyle,

            Are you related to Mr. Hall at the church. If so, do you know when his house was built?

            Bill

            That sounds good! Let me know your results. (hint: you can attach
            photos to google maps ;)

            Kyle
            (Halls of Jackson County, AL)

            On 02/04/2011 07:21 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

            > Thanks Clay,
            >
            > I am trying to use BLM, census and old home sites to see who was who and
            > the location they lived. Some of the old chimneys are still there and I
            > recall many more that are now gone.
            >
            > The area, on Larkin Fork, between Larkin and Francisco was called
            > Harmonious or Harmony on the old maps. This is the "town" I am trying to
            > rebuild. Do you or Ann have any info on this area?
            >
            > Thanks again
            > Bill Cagle

          • Kyle Davenport
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
              Hi Bill,

              We exchanged email about it before. Rev William T Hall was my
              great-grandfather, descendant in a long line of Baptist ministers. Rev
              Josiah Silas Hall was his father. I assume all the Halls of NW Jackson
              County are related and descendants of Rev James Hall who was the
              original settler before 1819. I have a land sale record from 1831 but I
              don't know how to translate that into location.

              Kyle

              On 02/04/2011 10:08 AM, cagle8185@... wrote:

              > Kyle,
              >
              > Are you related to Mr. Hall at the church. If so, do you know when his
              > house was built?
              >
              > Bill
            • Clay Gullatt
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                Bill

                Found part of what you were looking for in an old book at Google Books, Alabama Official and Statistical Register, it's for  1890 and 1900. No map but the precinct number. Its a free book at google books so you can see it all.

                Harmony Precinct #25, 1890 population 395; 1900 population 419, it must have covered a fairly large area not just the town.

                I ran it through the census with just Alabama, Jackson and 25 and it shows a bunch of Cagles including Valentine on the 1880 census, 350 people on the 1880 census. The 1880 census was the only one that showed up. They are listed by different Beats rather than precincts, some just for Beat 25, others Beats 14, 18 and 25.

                There were 34 precincts in Jackson Co.

                From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;; >
                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;;
                Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

                Clay,

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Do you have section, township and range info?

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Thanks again Clay, I will google it.

                    From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;;; >
                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;;;;
                    Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

                    Clay,

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                      It looks like his patent was where the town of Larkin is located today off AL Hwy 65. TS1 R4 Sect 33 up in the NW part of the County.  A James Hall also patented some of the surrounding land in the 1850s.

                      Clay

                    • cagle8185@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2011
                        Kyle,
                        There are 2 William Halls in Harmony in 1910 cen. One born in 1869 and the other in 1892. As Clay mentioned today there several folks in this area, at that time and Bear Creek would have been in Harmony. The James Hall land pat. in sec 33 would be in Larkin. If you open up a topo map and look at mouth of Bear Creek, you will see a small black sq. that reps. the "Old Willie Hall Place"

                        This area original land pat. were Valentine Cagle and James Brittain and located in sec. 17 and sec .20. This is the reason for more description, if you want to locate the records you have. If you know a corner in a sec. you can go from there.

                        Bill Cagle

                      • cagle8185@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 8 10:06 AM
                          Clay,

                          John M. Green should have interests in this info and lack of info. John (Pig) Riddle married Ruhama Green and lived up in Puncheon Cove (Larkin Fork/Harmony) area. They had a large log home at Riddle Spring Branch. They moved to Florida early 1900s and shown on 1930 Cen. report in Fla. John was 67 and Ruhama was 60 that year.

                          Elvis Green gave me a picture of them and we agree with the relationship from then until now but I do not have much info before then.

                          A Ruhama Green is shown, in Ohio, in 1860 and was 1 year old. Father was D. J. Green and wife Martha. The age is off by 10 years.

                          John,

                          Do you have info on Rehama?

                          Bill Cagle

                          From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net>;;;; >