Re: 1910 Census

  • cmitchellbox
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
      1910 is my worst Census. I found my grandfather Johnathan transcribed as Vonovan. I'm still looking for other family in 1910. I still haven't found him in 1900.

      I have used neighbors who live in an 'own home' and gone back to see if I can find them. I have had a bit of success doing that. I, also, look at other family members as many lived near each other.

      familysearch.org has been helpful. You may want to try other relatives and see if maybe you get a hit.

      Good luck.
      Charlotte
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      > Try using familysearch.org theirs has been indexed within the last 2 couple of years.
      >
      > Ancestry. com has updated theirs within the past couple of years. Try using soundex when searching on ancestry with the birth year, birth state, plus or minus two years and if no luck 5 years.
      >
      > Another trick if they have an unusal first name is to leave off the surname and just search with given name birth state and birth year plus or minus.
      >
      > Clay

    • Eulonda Owens
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
        I have to ask what might have been happening that year?  The problem is not limited to Al. seems to happen in every state I've looked in.

        1910 is my worst Census. I found my grandfather Johnathan transcribed as Vonovan. I'm still looking for other family in 1910. I still haven't found him in 1900.

        I have used neighbors who live in an 'own home' and gone back to see if I can find them. I have had a bit of success doing that. I, also, look at other family members as many lived near each other.

        familysearch.org has been helpful. You may want to try other relatives and see if maybe you get a hit.

        Good luck.
        Charlotte
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

        > Try using familysearch.org theirs has been indexed within the last 2 couple of years.
        >
        > Ancestry. com has updated theirs within the past couple of years. Try using soundex when searching on ancestry with the birth year, birth state, plus or minus two years and if no luck 5 years.
        >
        > Another trick if they have an unusal first name is to leave off the surname and just search with given name birth state and birth year plus or minus.
        >
        > Clay

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
          Many of the 1910 census images are faded and hard to read so there are many errors.

          Leave off the first name and search with surname, date and state of birth or just the surname if your are searching in one county and also use the soundex search.

          Try using the wild card * such as the first 3 or 4 letters of the surname with the wild card * such as gull* if that gives too too many names add another letter.

          If you find an error on ancestry.com leave a correction.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
            Hooray!!     Ancestry just updated the 1910 census and I have already found one missing relative.

            I have to ask what might have been happening that year?  The problem is not limited to Al. seems to happen in every state I've looked in.

            1910 is my worst Census. I found my grandfather Johnathan transcribed as Vonovan. I'm still looking for other family in 1910. I still haven't found him in 1900.

            I have used neighbors who live in an 'own home' and gone back to see if I can find them. I have had a bit of success doing that. I, also, look at other family members as many lived near each other.

            familysearch.org has been helpful. You may want to try other relatives and see if maybe you get a hit.

            Good luck.
            Charlotte
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

            > Try using familysearch.org theirs has been indexed within the last 2 couple of years.
            >
            > Ancestry. com has updated theirs within the past couple of years. Try using soundex when searching on ancestry with the birth year, birth state, plus or minus two years and if no luck 5 years.
            >
            > Another trick if they have an unusal first name is to leave off the surname and just search with given name birth state and birth year plus or minus.
            >
            > Clay

          • Regina Pipes
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
              Any GOLD relatives?

              Regina

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                I don't have a clue what happened in 1910 but I have an educated guess. I, also, agree it's in all states. For me personally, the 1880 Census was the best. Clear handwriting. Beginning in 1900, it got worse. By 1910, horrible for me. 1920 & 1930 depended upon where it was located. I think possibly many people didn't know how to read or write. Here in Texas, city or country areas, it has been difficult. I have found names like: Pendall FOR Randall. I do submit corrections on every error I find. I don't know if I made sense. JMO
                Charlotte

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Yes I agree about the 1880 for clarity of information but think there are a lot of people missing. Probably due to travel conditions.  Your answer was prefectly clear .

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                     Almost all my maternal ancestors are Gold's ( grandparents were cousins) going back to Michael and his son Thomas. I know you and I share some great greats.