Gone to Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
      Ann B. Chambless wrote of this in 2008 in message #9206. The emmigrations started with the completion of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad from Jackson Co. to Memphis TN made it easy for entire families to travel from Jackson to Memphis for $10.00 and to ship their household goods at an equitable fee.

      With the westward extension of railroads into TX, AR and OK and with the railroads selling cheap land this furthered encourged the westward migrations. Then you had the land rushes with the opening of huge areas of federal land in the west for settlement.

      Clay
    • jackie morgan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
        Clay,
        What time period was this emigration??
        My Bryan family moved from Alabama / Georgia in the 1870s.

        Jackie Morgan

        Genealogist & Quilter

        I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
        “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…
                                 ...Unknown.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
          On 1/23/2011 11:40 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

          > Ann B. Chambless wrote of this in 2008 in message #9206. The
          > emmigrations started with the completion of the Memphis and Charleston
          > Railroad from Jackson Co. to Memphis TN made it easy for entire
          > families to travel from Jackson to Memphis for $10.00 and to ship
          > their household goods at an equitable fee.
          >
          > With the westward extension of railroads into TX, AR and OK and with
          > the railroads selling cheap land this furthered encourged the westward
          > migrations. Then you had the land rushes with the opening of huge
          > areas of federal land in the west for settlement.
          >
          > Clay

          ONCE AGAIN, you covered the question extremely well, Clay.
          Ann B. Chambless

        • Clay Gullatt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
            The railroad from Jackson Co. to Memphis TN was completed in 1856 so the migrations really started to increase with that.

            However there were migrations west that started in the 1830s and 1840s. Thomas N. Clark (m. Nancy Vance 1839) a son of Isaac and Jemima (Welch) Clark immigrated to NE AR in the 1840s and was living in Lawrence Co. AR on the 1850 Census. Jemima Welch was a full blood Cherokee.

            And remember the Cherokees in NE Alabama and surrounding areas started emmigrating to areas of TX and AR in the period 1810-1830 long before the Trail of Tears in 1838.

            Clay