ABRAHAM WILSON

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
      I have a very good genealogist friend who says men in Jackson County did
      not get a divorce in the 19th century, they just "went to Texas". He
      was only half kidding, as we both know a few men who did just that.
      Based on this philosophy, perhaps you should look for Abraham Wilson in
      Texas during the years he does not show up in Alabama censuses.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
        We have also found that at times those who were divorced would list themselves "widowed."

      • TOM F DUNKLIN
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
          Ann,
          Guess it's possible that he went to TX. I haven't looked here in TX because when
          his son (my grandfather) grew up, he left Morgan Co AL and went to Central TX
          himself, around Navarro-Hill-Freestone counties. There he farmed and became a
          circuit riding Baptist preacher.

          Karl Plenge replied and wrote:  "We have also found that at times those who were
          divorced would list themselves "widowed." That's something that I did not know.
          Genealogy is such a learning experience.

          Who knows....maybe the Abraham Wilson I found on that 1900 Scottsboro census
          could be my "lost" Abraham. And the hunt continues!

          Paula