RE: [jacksongenealogy] 1930 Census and others too

  • James Gillespie
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 9, 2011
      If you want to make it better and better sign up to do some indexing. To
      date the total number of records indexed by anyone is 187,800,566 or so. Its
      fun and the indexed record are on line and FREE no strings.

      Jim G

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
        I am researching Elijah Miller ISBELL b 1840 in Jackson Co, d 1920 in Marshall Co and buried in Old Bethel Primitive Baptist in Asbury.

        I have so far been unable to find him or his family in any census before 1910.

        If anyone knows some alternative spelling under which he may be indexed (ie census taker spelled the name wrong, etc), or if you actually know where he/they are in any previous census, please let me know, I've tried as many combinations as I can think of.

        Thanks!

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
          1900 Thompson, Marshall Co. AL
          Eliga Isabell Head Feb 1840
          Eliza J. wife Oct 1842
          Nora J. dau Nora J. Nov 1880
          Arther L. son May 1883
          Eliga L. Son Aug 1884

          Clay

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
            Karl

            On the 1870 Township 7 Range 7 DeKalb Co. he is listed as Elija M. Isibelle.

            Clay

            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
              Elijah Millier Isbell d. 10 Jun 1920 Marshall Co. AL b. 27 Feb 1840 Jackson Co. AL, Spouse: Eliza Jane Isbell, Father Levi Isbell b. TN, Mother Sarah Bardwell b. TN

              From: family search record research

              Clay

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                Thank you, Clay, for all of that info also!

              • JOYCE STEWART
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                  I am connected to Jackson Genealogy because both my Mother (Smith) and Father (Bryant) came from there...Sand Mountain.  I noticed you are tracing the Isbell family.  We knew an elderly couple here..Isbells...but they are both dead now.  I have contacted a couple of Isbells in the Shawnee directory to see if, perhaps, they had Jackson County relatives or were interested in checking it out but no response yet.  Are you showing any particular Isbells that came to Okla or perhaps Arkansas first?  I know my G-Grandfather Boatner went to Arkansas and then back to Jackson County.  Joyce B. Stewart

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                    Are you showing any particular Isbells that came to Okla or perhaps Arkansas first? I know my G-Grandfather Boatner went to Arkansas and then back to Jackson County. Joyce B. Stewart

                    I have just started running this line, but so far I do not know of any...however, I will keep this in mind and get back with you if I find that this is the case.

                  • Karl Plenge
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                      While you are looking at the Isbells, maybe you can find how luvina isbell Mathis was related to Levi isbell. I have deed copies that show they were neighbors on big coon in the early 1830s. Luvina was the wife of walker Mathis , my third great grandfather

                      I will keep my eyes open!

                    • Richard Matthews
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                        Karl

                        On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:47 PM, "Karl Plenge" <kmplenge@...> wrote:

                        > Are you showing any particular Isbells that came to Okla or perhaps Arkansas first? I know my G-Grandfather Boatner went to Arkansas and then back to Jackson County. Joyce B. Stewart
                        >
                        > I have just started running this line, but so far I do not know of any...however, I will keep this in mind and get back with you if I find that this is the case.

                      • Roger Burbank
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                          Hi, I'm going thru microfilms from Jackson Co. I noticed a probate for an Isbell from 1800's.  I will check it and let everyone know what I find.  Roger

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 19, 2011
                            Hannah Isbell is my 6th great grandmother.  She married Capt. Samuel Williams.  Her father was Zachariah Isbell.  Both men fought at Kings Mt. in Rev. War.  Roger

                            I am connected to Jackson Genealogy because both my Mother (Smith) and Father (Bryant) came from there...Sand Mountain.  I noticed you are tracing the Isbell family.  We knew an elderly couple here..Isbells...but they are both dead now.  I have contacted a couple of Isbells in the Shawnee directory to see if, perhaps, they had Jackson County relatives or were interested in checking it out but no response yet.  Are you showing any particular Isbells that came to Okla or perhaps Arkansas first?  I know my G-Grandfather Boatner went to Arkansas and then back to Jackson County.  Joyce B. Stewart

                            Thank you, Clay, for all of that info also!

                          • ondecktm
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 20, 2011
                              I have been researching this Isbell family for a while. I believe you will find Elijah Miller Isbell listed as:1850 Census, Elizah M. Isbel B:1839, in District 21, Jackson County, Alabama with his family.
                              He was the father of William Joseph (Joe) Isbell who married a Jackson County girl, Mollie Sherman and moved to Poinsett County,Arkansas. Mollie Sherman was my Grand Aunt. The rather large Sherman family (with 12 kids) lived for many in Paint Rock before moving to Arkansas.
                              Best, Tena

                              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Plenge" <kmplenge@...> wrote:

                              > I am researching Elijah Miller ISBELL b 1840 in Jackson Co, d 1920 in Marshall Co and buried in Old Bethel Primitive Baptist in Asbury.
                              >
                              > I have so far been unable to find him or his family in any census before 1910.
                              >
                              > If anyone knows some alternative spelling under which he may be indexed (ie census taker spelled the name wrong, etc), or if you actually know where he/they are in any previous census, please let me know, I've tried as many combinations as I can think of.
                              >
                              > Thanks!

                            • Eulonda Owens
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 22, 2011
                                How ironic that you should post at this time.  I just ran across this family name yesterday by accident. They are in the Casey family line also the Shelton line. Don't know about the exact name but you can check this site:    rcasey.net
                                I also have other Isbell names in a book but not Elijah Miller.

                                I have been researching this Isbell family for a while. I believe you will find Elijah Miller Isbell listed as:1850 Census, Elizah M. Isbel B:1839, in District 21, Jackson County, Alabama with his family.
                                He was the father of William Joseph (Joe) Isbell who married a Jackson County girl, Mollie Sherman and moved to Poinsett County,Arkansas. Mollie Sherman was my Grand Aunt. The rather large Sherman family (with 12 kids) lived for many in Paint Rock before moving to Arkansas.
                                Best, Tena

                                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Plenge" <kmplenge@...> wrote:

                                > I am researching Elijah Miller ISBELL b 1840 in Jackson Co, d 1920 in Marshall Co and buried in Old Bethel Primitive Baptist in Asbury.
                                >
                                > I have so far been unable to find him or his family in any census before 1910.
                                >
                                > If anyone knows some alternative spelling under which he may be indexed (ie census taker spelled the name wrong, etc), or if you actually know where he/they are in any previous census, please let me know, I've tried as many combinations as I can think of.
                                >
                                > Thanks!

                              • Karl Plenge
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                  > How ironic that you should post at this time. I just ran across this family name yesterday by accident. They are in the Casey family line also the Shelton line. Don't know about the exact name but you can check this site: rcasey.net
                                  I also have other Isbell names in a book but not Elijah Miller.

                                  Thank you!

                                • Roger Burbank
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                    Hi Karl, what other Isbell names do you have in book? thanks Roger

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                      > Hi Karl, what other Isbell names do you have in book? thanks Roger

                                      That was actually a quote excerpted from a message sent by Eulonda Owens late last night. The original message should be in your messages from last night. But if I can help you with anything, I will be glad to. I am just starting on the Isbells.

                                    • Eulonda Owens
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                        I found this man on Ancestery Public Member trees. Do you have an Ancestry account

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                          > I found this man on Ancestery Public Member trees. Do you have an Ancestry account

                                          I do not have a paid ancestry account. Some people with ancestry trees have sent me invites which allowed me to view their trees. So I am not completely sure the answer to your question, but I guess it would be No. :-)

                                        • Eulonda Owens
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                            I'll post the names tomorrow.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 23, 2011
                                              Sorry, site is hoping. I have alot of info on Isbells but my 6th great grandmother back.  Hannah Isbell. I did not trace them after her, so nothing after early 1800's. My Isbells connect with the Williams families in Jackson Co. Roger

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                 Let me know what info you are looking for and I can look for it on Ancestry and give you what info I find but it will be later today before I can post it.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                  > Let me know what info you are looking for and I can look for it on Ancestry and give you what info I find but it will be later today before I can post it.

                                                  Thank you very much - I have just started working this line, and don't even know what unresolved questions I have or will have. If I could I would like to hold onto your email and get back with you when I have a better idea.

                                                  The original question that started all of this discussion is that I was not able to find Elijah Miller ISBELL in the 1880 census, so if you have an image of that, I would be grateful to see or have that, or if you could even tell me where to look and how he is indexed, or who a neighbor or two are, I could probably find it using that.

                                                • Charles McCutchen
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                    There is a Miller Isbell
                                                    1880 Federal Census
                                                    Jackson, Alabama
                                                    Miller Isbell     48
                                                    Anna L. Isbell     34
                                                    Mary M. Isbell     15
                                                    Jesse W. Isbell     14
                                                    Paulina Isbell     11
                                                    Benjamine B. Isbell     6
                                                    Martha E. Morris     40

                                                    township 4, range 4
                                                    page 13

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                      > There is a Miller Isbell
                                                      1880 Federal Census
                                                      Jackson, Alabama

                                                      Thank you, but this unfortunately is not them. He would be 40 in 1880, and his wife, who went by both Elizabeth/Eliza and Jane, would be 38.

                                                      In 1870 they were in Dekalb Co, in 1900 Marshall Co. But who knows in 1880????

                                                    • Eulonda Owens
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                        There is a mountain of information on Ancestry but so far no 1880 census but still looking.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                            There are many photos and much history in "Ancestry" under public trees. The best thing would seem to be for you to go a public library that offers free Ancestry access. There is just to much for me to research.  Of course if you can't do this give me somthing specific and I will check it for you.  Please note picture sent from Ancestry on another posting.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 24, 2011
                                                              > There are many photos and much history in "Ancestry" under public trees. The best thing would seem to be for you to go a public library that offers free Ancestry access. There is just to much for me to research. Of course if you can't do this give me somthing specific and I will check it for you. Please note picture sent from Ancestry on another posting.

                                                              OK, thank you very much for your time and effort!